Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Post by ewancummins »

Denys smiles.
""Yes, the waters."

Captain Griffith interjects, ''Scrolls, huh? If you could make a magic scroll that would chart a ship's passage through the mists, that would be somethin'. The fellow that made such a thing would net gold, for sure."

Elliana says-
''A fine notion, Captain Griffith! ''

After finishing her glass of red wine with several dainty sips, she answers Everline's question-
''Now, the Mesietersingers...Well, each town has a sort of singing mayor. He recites the laws, chairs meetings, makes judgements, appoints officers, and so on. So, regular contests are held, and the winners get the job. Of course, I make it sound simpler than it really is, but that's the general idea."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Charlotte asks her husband,
''Benn, darling, why don't you tell us more about your work and studies this past year. "

She lays a hand on Benn's knee under the table, not in a lascivious manner, but by way of reassurance and encouragement.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn looks up at the Captain, and then over to his obviously upset cleric friend.

"Far more than facilitating trade could come of something like this," he replies. "Divine scrolls with magic like that wielded by Brother Dorgio and myself produced on a mass scale could have a huge impact relieving suffering in the core. Healing for the wounded, cures for the sick. The possibilities are limitless." He arches an eyebrow at the Captain, and also towards the female companion on his arm. "Perhaps it takes the heart of a healer to keep such notions in mind."

In response to Charlotte's encouragement, he sets the journal down.

"Since our...troubles at the Delapore estate, I realized that my studies had a rather large blind spot: the natural world. In my enthusiasm to learn all I could about mysticism and the supernatural, I neglected to realize that the world is full of entirely mundane threats to human civilization, though I suppose it could be argued that the tyrant fungus was far from mundane." He ruefully smiles. "I'll admit that it is not always the most fascinating of work, but my knowledge has expanded quite a bit, and I've expanded that knowledge to include mysticism from older, more druidic religions. They've been quite helpful in some of the investigations I've conducted within the city as part of my occult investigation firm. Which, of course, Herr Sancerre has very generously invested in to get it off the ground."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sancerre -
''Yes, well, you are a good man , Benn. You do good work. I'm glad to have been of some help to you."

Elliana-
''Occult investigative firm? Oooh, that sounds interesting!Is it very dangerous?"

Captain Griffith-

''Hmmm...Healin' folks, yes, that's good stuff. If your scrolls can drive out vermin, clean water, and banish the miasma, why, I reckon that'd do even more good than directly tendin' to illness and hurts. '

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin is clearly bored by the conversation. Pushing away his third helping, he wipes his mouth with the napkin, placing it on the table. He looks around. Pushing his seat back, he stands and clears his voice. Addressing Denys he says "Herr Sancerre, tank you very much for deiner meal. De fish vwas very gut as vass de rest of de meal. I vill excuse myself, as being vun so young, I can not interact in de conversations arount me. I am sincerely happy you haff invited myself here. I take me leave." He bows and offering "Herr's" and "Frau's" to everyone at the table, he leaves.

The lad looks for the same waiter he spoke to in the hallway, the one mentioning the Half-Man Penda. When he finds him, he will ask him. "Pardon me, vere kannen I fint dis Penda you spoke uff?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Out in the hallway-

The cheerful young serving-man tells Juergin- ''Go search the gardens. He's usually in one of the plots around this time of day. Tell him Diggory sent you."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin turns to Diggory and slips him a gold coin. "Bitte Sie unt Tank You, Diggory. Guten Tag." The lad turns away and heads for the garden, taking his time. He'll walk slowly, eyes roaming the chateau. Once outside, he'll head for the garden and search for Penda.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Juergin, in one of the gardens

Juergin enters a garden courtyard. The whole square is covered in greenry, except for a footpath that winds through the plants and a small canal that crosses the yard.

The boy spots a figure shorter than him and about twice as big around the waist, standing on a low wooden foot-bridge that arches over the little artifical stream. The stout little man in drab, dirt-smeared clothing, now turns to face Juergin. The small gardener's florid face splits into a wide grin.

''You a guest? Come to smell flowers?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin admires the beauty of the garden. When the figure speaks to him with a smile, he in turn smiles back.

"Ja, I ist ein guest. I am Juergin, Juergin Zwygart. Deiner garden ist very vunderbar. I is looking for Penda. Are you he? Diggory telled me to commen see you."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Garden

''Penda, yes.''

The little plump man waddles closer. Jeurgin can see that Penda's hands are large, blunt fingered, and rather spade-like. His bare feet are big and covered on top with brown fuzz.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Thom chuckles lightly at Benn's statement about the Unversity. "Indeed. I merely wish to offer my services should you require them." He says.

His attention now on Dorgio, he smiles at him. "Ha! Yes, good enough, I can only hope we can say the same for your Mordentish." Thom says with a chuckle. "Well I believe you have earned yourself a respite from wirttings Dorgio, who knows maybe these waters will invigorate your mind as well as your body."

"Indeed it would do a great deal of good, however it stands to reason that it could deal some harm as well." He says to Benn. "It could destablize the market and ruin the very livelihood of those who depend on the selling of said scrolls." He says then takes a drink of his wine.

With Benn's comments about the more natrual mundane world, brings something else to mind. "Ah yes, that brings something else to mind. I have with me two of the first printings of the young Delapores late father's book. I must admit it has taken me longer then I thought to organize all the notes into a readable book. If you want you can have one of the printings I brought with me."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Though he destroyed his plate of food with the efficiency of a warrior on the march, Petrie requests no more. He seems content for a while sipping from his bottle and resting back on the two rear legs of the his chair. A wry smile materializes across his face when the two women begin discussing the wolves, for he could not remeber a time when two beauties concerned themselves with the comeliness of dogs.

His smirk is quickly reset as he nearly dumps over backwards, resulting in the chair slamming forward on all four legs with a thud. He looks around suddenly, "It appears I should move me drinkin' to more stable footing... Ha."

The large Forfarian stands with little trouble and nods to his host, "Mr. Sancerre... Lads and lasses... I will be takin' me leave, thank you fer the wonderful Sea-Bass, 'twer delicious."

Petrie pushes in his chair and heads for the front entrance. Once arrived, he plops down on the first step of the wide stairs leading away from the chateau and admires the view of the bay.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FRONT STAIRWAY

Petrie can see the Peryton in the distance, looking like a toy boat painted on the endless cobalt sea.

Nearer the stairs and a little to the right, he catches out of the corner of his eye a blur of something brown and ragged.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Garden

"Ah, hullo den. It is nice to meet you. I comink to my point uff visiting you. I am interesting in deiner island history. Diggory tell me
you are deiner one to see on dis island for such information. You haff knowledges of deiner pirate Svartbeard, ja? Unt his visit here
years ago? Maybe you knowink someone on de island who does?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Garden

"Ah, hullo den. It is nice to meet you. I comink to my point uff visiting you. I am interesting in deiner island history. Diggory tell me
you are deiner one to see on dis island for such information. You haff knowledges of deiner pirate Svartbeard, ja? Unt his visit here
years ago? Maybe you knowink someone on de island who does?"

''Pirate? I found some barrels and boxes in the Old Abbey. Most empty, broken. Could be left by pirates. "