Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Post by steveflam »

JUergin doesn't get excited but wonders if that would be a good place to start. "Do you tink I could go visit deiner Abbey?"
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro calls over to Everline, "Mademoiselle Vaughn, your destinations ... are they determined by your employer, or do you have leeway to choose some of the locations, perhaps based on tales you've heard?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"The truth is somehere in the middle, as it often is," Everline replies. "My employers have certain needs - fashionable destinations, new markets opening up, that sort of thing - that need seeing to. But when those are met, I am free to travel according to my own fancy and the rumours the wind carries to my ears. My employers have been so gracious as to pay me for the notes I take on the latter just as they do for the work I do on their more pressing assignments.

Also, if I come across something monstrously intriguing during my work, they do not begrudge my straying a bit from the path they set for me.

How about yourself, Monsieur? What brings you to travel?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He turns towards Eliana. "Indeed, it sometimes can be. While a number of my firm's investigations have ended in the discovery of an entirely mundane source causing the trouble, you never know when a creature out of childhood stories will suddenly be arrayed against you. It can be quite startling, I have to admit. Herr Varga and I actually became acquainted on one of those early expeditions. Do you recall our first mission together, Dorgio? When we faced the Dragr?"

In response to Thom, "Ah, indeed, the classic dilemma of the struggles of the individual craftsman against the relentless march of industrialization. I think, in all honesty, this situation may warrant less concern than, say, a cobbler faced with replacement with a shoe-making factory, given that the price for a scroll printing device would likely be prohibitively expensive and, in reality, would require the services of the same sort of practitioners to craft the scroll-making-device's components as making the scrolls in the first place." He taps his pen thoughtfully against the journal. "Still, it is an interesting thought exercise. And if the price could be brought down...well it should be no surprise that I tend to side with societal progress."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace becomes more interested in the conversation as it turns to industrial-made scrolls.

Addressing Benn

"Benn, you surprise me. Earlier today you said your views on religion were well known... I must say, not by me at least. But now you say you are a spellcaster too and acknowledge the existence of the spiritual.

I confess, I was under the impression your remark placed you on the sceptical side, a promoter of science against the darkness of superstition and ignorance. That's an all too common view for those who have not found the calling of the gods. But now, I really don't know what to think of you. We can talk more privately about this if you'd rather, but I'd really like to know what you meant about religious views earlier on."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys rises.

''Excuse me, but I have to...Take care of something. I'll see you all at supper, around sundown. If you need anything, just ask Claudas.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Adam wrote: Do you recall our first mission together, Dorgio? When we faced the Dragr?"
"Ha, that I do!" The rattle of his empty glass punctuates his sudden laugh. "I thought we'd never be rid of that creature! A strange thing, not unlike the tales of vampires, but something stranger, charged from some unknown unholy source."

He gestures at Benn, "don't be letting Benn's talk of scholarship fool you, he's a terror in a fight. That is reminding me," he says, turning to acknowledge his host. "Not long after we dealt with the draugr, we tracked down his accomplices in a keep far from here. We were set upon by a small horde of the living dead. I had kept some of them at bay through The Morninglord's grace, but one seized me and nearly dragged me to the ground. Then I heard a thud and the creature released its grip. It was then I saw but our own host, Denys standing near me, holding the shovel he used to beat back the creature!"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys grimaces.

''Yes, quite a fight it was! Now, I really must be going. I'll see you later, friends."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Rock wrote:"How about yourself, Monsieur? What brings you to travel?"
"Primeiro, please," says the blond-haired gentleman affably. "After wine and conversation are shared among friendly people, courtliness should yield to cordiality. As for what brings me here, I seek a brief rest from an arduous few months at L'Académie -- and from what I've heard, this chateau may be an ideal location to revitalize."

He listens attentively to the description of a battle against the undead. When Denys stands, he says, "My compliments again on this excellent meal." To Bennedict, he adds, "I suppose we shall speak to Claudas about this 'walking tour'...?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Ail wrote:Eustace becomes more interested in the conversation as it turns to industrial-made scrolls.

Addressing Benn

"Benn, you surprise me. Earlier today you said your views on religion were well known... I must say, not by me at least. But now you say you are a spellcaster too and acknowledge the existence of the spiritual.

I confess, I was under the impression your remark placed you on the sceptical side, a promoter of science against the darkness of superstition and ignorance. That's an all too common view for those who have not found the calling of the gods. But now, I really don't know what to think of you. We can talk more privately about this if you'd rather, but I'd really like to know what you meant about religious views earlier on."
Benn arches an eyebrow at this, but answers. "Very well. It is my opinion that there is an...intangible energy present in all things. The world, the environment, it teems with this for those who are capable of tapping into it. I personally believe it stems from some connection to the ether, but whatever its source, this is an energy which men are able, with the use of ritual or force of will, convert into some form of what most describe as 'magic.' It is, from my experience, meaningless how exactly one performs the ritual in question, merely that the ritual helps to focus one's mind and attunes it to the energy in question. Thus, you will find that for my 'spells' to work, I often invoke the name of a number of deities, ranging from Ezra to the Morninglord to even the newly learned Eldritch words of power that lets one tap into the natural world. I am a follower of none of these deities, it is simply the ritual as I learned it initially and recorded," he raises his leather-bound journal and taps it with his pen, "here. I have experimented with substituting names of deities or saints and had some success in calling up the same spiritual power regardless of which supernatural deity I invoke and, thus, have concluded that it is not the deity which is the important thing, but rather than man channeling and releasing the energy. In truth, I think that it is even possible that so-called wizards or sorcerors are, in fact, even tapping into the same energy source to unleash different results."

He looks around the table at the, in some cases, very religious audience. "I apologize if any of that stepped on the toes of your particular faiths. Dorgio and I have spent many an evening in front of the fireplace, sipping brandy and debating this very subject, in some instances quite heatedly."

In response to Dorgio, "You are too generous, Dorgio. When a fight breaks out, I am often quite happy to allow the more, ahem, 'adept' fighters of the group handle the frontline work. I have, however, learned a new invocation which may assist me in the martial arts, however. Perhaps a quick demonstration, both to allow me to show off a bit and perhaps show Eustace some of my points in action?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Everline shows an odd little smile at Benn's comments, but all she says in comment is: "Just men?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Rock wrote:Everline shows an odd little smile at Benn's comments, but all she says in comment is: "Just men?"
He smiles and raises his glass. "Pardon. I use it for the general term for our race, of course. Some of the best channelers I know are women."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Maybe women are superior 'channelers', as you put it," Everline says in a syrupy sweet voice. "So good, in fact, that the true masters - mistresses, rather - of the Art have avoided your attempts at detecting them."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Fascinating" Eustace says.
"I am used to the scholarly point of view, and though we tend to be traditionalists in our faith, there are some who like to debate within our ranks. Your views are new to me, but they are not offensive. Of course, in my view, Belenus is simply condescending enough towards you as a man to ignore the name under which you invoke him, as long as your own ideals adjust to His holy precepts. But of course, I'd be very happy to indulge in a debate with you.

I have also seen the kind of magic usually called profane.... or arcane, in some circles. And I have witnessed that except in rare circumstances, it is rather different of the pure energy released by divine gift. I postulate that it comes from a different source, perhaps some unclean demon since it so often has a foul, even violent nature. But other effects I can not explain. Nor is it proper for us, as simple men and women, to know all the secrets of the gods."

"Maybe women are superior 'channelers', as you put it," Everline says in a syrupy sweet voice. "So good, in fact, that the true masters - mistresses, rather - of the Art have avoided your attempts at detecting them."
"Ah.... such a remark would make me promptly think you are one of the gifted, mylady. Beware, we have means of uncovering such secrets in our faith. Though I would be loath to try them on you" he smiles.
"Pay no heed, I was just jesting. "
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Ail wrote:"Fascinating" Eustace says.
"I am used to the scholarly point of view, and though we tend to be traditionalists in our faith, there are some who like to debate within our ranks. Your views are new to me, but they are not offensive. Of course, in my view, Belenus is simply condescending enough towards you as a man to ignore the name under which you invoke him, as long as your own ideals adjust to His holy precepts. But of course, I'd be very happy to indulge in a debate with you.

I have also seen the kind of magic usually called profane.... or arcane, in some circles. And I have witnessed that except in rare circumstances, it is rather different of the pure energy released by divine gift. I postulate that it comes from a different source, perhaps some unclean demon since it so often has a foul, even violent nature. But other effects I can not explain. Nor is it proper for us, as simple men and women, to know all the secrets of the gods."
"Coming from a demon, you say?" Benn seems amused at this notion. "I have no doubt that there are some fiendish creatures which wield such powers, but it hardly requires a connection with them to channel it. Take, for example the classical spell wielded by these arcane casters, the ball of fire. Would it surprise you to learn that I, through use of an invocation of nature, could manifest an effect very much like this while, in another, similar breath, I can call down the supposedly divine power of healing to ease suffering and aid the wounded?"

"As for your deities condescension," he shakes his head, "You know as well as I that your church is full of the faithful which never learn even the most simple of orisons. Meanwhile I, a heathen in your god's eyes, somehow earns his attention and the blessing of some his most powerful invocations? I'm afraid I don't find this extraordinarily likely. I find it far more probable that men, in their misunderstanding of the universe, rush to ascribe supernatural sources like 'gods' or 'demons' to explain the unexplained rather than take the time to explore and dig down to the empirical evidence and find the true cause."