Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote: The lad peruses the book as he eats, being quite careful not to get the pages dirty as Eustace mentioned to him. He makes ample use of the napkins he took from the dining room, two in fact. Once his meal is terminated, he puts the book back exactly where he found it. Taking a closer look at the library now, he tries to discern if the books are placed alphabetically, by topic or however else they might be placed.
Juergin finds that the books, a couple of dozen titles, are not arranged in any particular order.
Searching for something about the history of Gauntcliff, he finds a dog-eared pamphlet tucked between a hardbound volume of The Red Wedding of Sergei Von Zarovich and a canvas bound set of nautical charts.
From the pamplet (written by Bernard Croix of Port-a-Lucine- a name not known to Juergin) the boy learns the following things about Gauntcliff:
  • Gauntcliff possesses an unusually warm and pleasant climate, such that snow rarely falls on the island even in the dead of winter.

The nearest civilized island is Ghastria.

The soil is sandy and thin in most parts of the island, a fact that has discouraged settlement in the past.

The island's name comes from the tall, white limestone cliffs of the eastern side. Travelers have long remarked on the stark grandeur of the cliffs, which in some spots are eroded into a semblance of cathedral arches.

The western shore is mostly sand dunes and beach grass.

An ancient ruin stands on Gauntcliff. Hauteclaire claims it may have once been a monastic house of the Old High Church of Mordent, but he provides no proof of this.

Caverns run under the central hills of the island, and may connect with opening in the cliffs.

Hot springs exist in the interior.

Forty-five years ago the Ghastrians attempted to plant a colony, but a fever drove them from the island. Hauteclaire reports that sailors have found the isle's water and air to be wonderfully salubrious, and blames the sickness among the colonists on poor hygiene.

There are no dangerous animals native to the island's surface.

The warm waters about the isle teem with fish, but fishermen from nearby islands tend to avoid Gauntcliff. Hautclaire's cursory investigation of the matter revealed that the fishermen were worried about sandbars, unpredictable currents, and some sort of underwater creatures that would slice up nets.

A careful reading suggests that Hautclaire was working mainly from stories related to him, rather than drawing on personal experience. Nothing in the text indicates that he ever got closer to Gauntcliff than the deck of a passing galleon. The book was published thirty years ago.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace waits for Primeiro to try Petrie's drink. Then politely asks the forfarian if he can take a sample of it too, and pours something into his glass. He doesn't drink it though, saying

"I'd rather have it as an after meal."

Then he turns to Dorgio

"Ah, yes. Well, you see, this last year, after we left the Delapores, I had a chance to copy a book that came unto my hands. It was a small manuscript on Belenus. But not just Belenus! In fact, it was a study on how Belenus, the Morninglord and a Barovian deity called Andral are all solar gods and have so many similarities in their myths that they can be considered, in fact, manifestations of a single entity. Can you imagine? It's as if there was a primeval deity, a primordial set of legends and lore that different people remembered in different lands. This knowledge may have become partially lost in some places, generating different religions under different names, but still all keeping hints of the earlier story."

He paused, worried.

"I almost sound like a heretic, so please do not remember beyond these walls that I ever said this, any of you.

Anyway... this book was quite food for thought, but it was not the first time I heard a similar thing."

Another pause.

"There was an old tale I read once at the monastery. Very old, and unverified. It is not well known and there's no place in the Belenus' canon that attests it. It tells of a time before the sun, when men lived in the darkness. Yet there was one that once had a vision of the gods and of their home in the East, while he fished on the shores of Lake Viktal. He set on a journey to that land, and although no one believed him, he finally arrived. With him he brought a bright lantern that gave off light in the darkness. This lantern Belenus put on his chariot and he raised to the skies, every day covering an arc in the sky from East to West, illuminating us with the light of that lantern.

That is what concerns Belenus. But that inscription on the door bears resemblance to the myths of Andral instead. It speaks of possibly three related deities: the Prince of Dawn, blazing charioteer, the Noon-tide Queen and the Dusk Lord. It is in general a prayer to this Prince, asking for his daily strength to chase away the shadows in men's hearts. Distinctly Andral-y, if you ask me. And yet... so much like Belenus!"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn closes the door carefully before turning back. "Not really," he mutters. "Something isn't right on this island. I'm not certain, but I'm beginning to suspect that we may be in some danger. We don't know what the underlying problem is yet, but I needed to come find you and make sure the two of you were safe." He walks forward, draping an arm around his wife. "I need you to stay with our son at all times. Don't let him out of your site, and if you get the feeling you're in danger, get away from there as quickly as you can."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Benn closes the door carefully before turning back. "Not really," he mutters. "Something isn't right on this island. I'm not certain, but I'm beginning to suspect that we may be in some danger. We don't know what the underlying problem is yet, but I needed to come find you and make sure the two of you were safe." He walks forward, draping an arm around his wife. "I need you to stay with our son at all times. Don't let him out of your site, and if you get the feeling you're in danger, get away from there as quickly as you can."

Charlotte's cheerful demeanor vanishes, replaced by a worried look.
"Benn, I'm scared..."
She lifts Jonas from the bathwater, quickly dries him, and hugs him close.

"How can we get away? We're on an island. The Peryton sailed an hour ago. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I'm not sure that we need to, per say," Benn mutters. "I don't know much of anything about what is going on, but enough has happened to make me concerned."

He proceeds to explain what happened during the trip to the ruins, and his suspicions that the dead servant girl in the house may have been related to the shadow creature. "Some of the others seem to think that Herr Sancerre may have known something about this, but...I have no reason to think this is the case. He has been nothing but generous to us since the case with his daughter."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"I'm not sure that we need to, per say," Benn mutters. "I don't know much of anything about what is going on, but enough has happened to make me concerned."

He proceeds to explain what happened during the trip to the ruins, and his suspicions that the dead servant girl in the house may have been related to the shadow creature. "Some of the others seem to think that Herr Sancerre may have known something about this, but...I have no reason to think this is the case. He has been nothing but generous to us since the case with his daughter."

"Miss Evie."

Charlotte's eyes water.

"I miss her, Benn. And that bastard, Jonathon Matyr, you and your friends never found him..."

PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Petrie can hardly keep a straight face after passing the swill that he considers the lifeblood of his existence. When Dorgio swaths of it deeply, he smirks... ...finally as Primeiro gulps a sizable amount, he bursts into laughter. A deep, hearty thunder explodes from his gullet, "Harumph Hamph Ha ha." His normal, servile tone has evolved into a storm of vocal yawing.

He flushes after such an outburst, "Sorry all, 'tis but a personal joke I play on all who taste for the first time of the Forfarian spirits. I know 'tis harsh of your tasting, but it shouldn't take long, I suppose, to tighten one's stomach for it." he can't help but utter a small, deep chuckle.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

PathOfDreams wrote: "You know lass..." he offers in a calm demeanor, "It seems that wee lad there doesn't care for your definition of manners, and rightly I can't blame 'im. Juergin's a wild boy o' the sea, and I imagine shortly, wif 'is experiences, 'e'll become a wild man. Might be best to stay on 'is short list of friends. We aren't all from the upper reaches my dear."
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Despite his relative temperance, Dorgio can't help but laugh at the row between Everline and the boy. "I wasn't so different when I was his age."
"I met a wild man of the seas a few years ago, in Mordent," Everline says, and casts a clear, blue-eyed gaze on Petrie. "Or at least he had been, once. Now he was an old man of the sea, too old to pull a rope or master the steering wheel. No one would allow him on so much as a fishing sloop as anything other than a paying passenger, and he had barely two pennies left to rub together. He had given all his wild life to the sea, and all it left him at the end was old, alone, poor and beached. Men - and women - should not give everything to the wild and the waves; they should learn how to get along with other people in the towns and cities, as well. Monsieur Dorgio seems to have learned this lesson, non?" The young woman's voice remains remarkably even while she says all this.
Ail wrote:"Yes, those ruins are unfortunately more interesting than we thought at first. We will have to return in the morning, as there is some danger there, some disembodied spirit that we need to banish as soon as possible. We were not prepared to do it today, alas, so we'll return as soon as possible tomorrow. Wouldn't that perhaps be interesting to your readers? May be no need to tell Mr Sancerre, though."
"My, how exciting," Everline says in a careful, slightly distant tone of voice, and picks up one of the crab cakes.

"I have always found something a little sad about eating crab," she says as she juggles the cake from hand to hand. "They spend their lives crawling around in the muck at the bottom of the sea, with nothing to protect them but their armour and their claws. In their own little world, they may be as kings... And then the nets come, out of nowhere. They get stuck in buckets of water until sold, and even if one would manage to reach the lip of their prison, the others immediately pull them back. Such is aggression and competition, among creatures with brains as small as a pea - and that may be a generous estimate."

Everline pops the crab cake into her mouth, chews and swallows. "Sad, but tasty," she notes in a rueful tone. "A disembodied spirit has no armour, of course, though I suppose it might have claws. It does not need to worry about being stuck in a bucket - or indeed, on an island in the middle of nowhere, unless it is somehow bound to it. I wonder what might keep one trapped here?" She shrugs. "A question for religious scholars, I suppose."

When Eustace tells his tale of the solar gods, Everline raises an eyebrow. "How interesting," she says. "I had, myself, read a book on a similar subject. Passage of the Sun[1] is its title, I believe. A scholar from the University of Dementlieu made a voyage that took her across Barovia and Har'Akir, and she compared the remnants of Andral's church with the contemporary writings of the Morninglord, as well as the ancient scrolls of Ra. She spotted several strong similarities, but was unable to find a migration vector that could account for the transition of one ancient sun deity from one place to all of the others. Most interesting - and puzzling."

(OOC: 1: This is basically shameless reference to a character from a previous campaign, who did perform a studies of the sun gods along the route, and wrote a book about it on her return to the Core. ;) We now return you to your regularly scheduled RP.)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:
Adam wrote:"I'm not sure that we need to, per say," Benn mutters. "I don't know much of anything about what is going on, but enough has happened to make me concerned."

"Miss Evie."

Charlotte's eyes water.

"I miss her, Benn. And that bastard, Jonathon Matyr, you and your friends never found him..."
He pats her shoulder comfortingly. "There are few days I don't think about that bastard. I can only hope the villain found the end he deserved somewhere along the way." As a thought occurs to him, he looks her in the eyes. "I don't think this has to do with him, if that worries you. His Modus Operendi would have to have changed dramatically for him to be the killer. If we're being honest, I believe the previous occupants of the island sealed something away beneath that church, and I'm worried the seals may have weakened."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin reads all this and places the book back, remembering where it is for future reference. He whispers something to himself and then tries to find a book about Gauntcliff island.

Searching once more to the tune of 14 Search
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn's Room-
Adam wrote:
He pats her shoulder comfortingly. "There are few days I don't think about that bastard. I can only hope the villain found the end he deserved somewhere along the way." As a thought occurs to him, he looks her in the eyes. "I don't think this has to do with him, if that worries you. His Modus Operendi would have to have changed dramatically for him to be the killer. If we're being honest, I believe the previous occupants of the island sealed something away beneath that church, and I'm worried the seals may have weakened."

"Oh!"

She dresses Jonas as she continues speaking with Benn.

"Benn, darling, why don't you stay here tonight. I mean, can we skip the dinner without being rude? It's informal, after all. Monsieur Sancerre isn't even there; I don't think. I'd rather have the servants bring us a meal. They won't mind- I've made friends with one of the maids."

She smiles warmly at him.

" We can play cards, and after Jonas gets to sleep, maybe we can sit on the patio and...Talk."

Benn may recognize the impish look on her face- it doesn't suggestion a long conversation in the witching hour.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The book-room-
tarlyn wrote:Juergin reads all this and places the book back, remembering where it is for future reference. He whispers something to himself and then tries to find a book about Gauntcliff island.

Searching once more to the tune of 14 Search

Juergin searches for some time, but turns up surprisingly little information. The island is shown on the set of nautical charts, but with no notes that tell him anything more than what he has already learned from experience and from the pamphlet.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin finishes his food, satisfied there isn't much to discover for what he is searching for. That doesn't mean he hasn't noted what books are there, however. He will mention them to Dorgio, Thom and Benn about the books he has seen. Grabbing his tray, he exits the library and walks back towards the dining hall. Entering, he walks in and without meaning to (well he is near 13 yrs old after all) lets out a loud belch and finding the first waiter, hands them his tray as he thanks them.

The lad walks over to the party's table and walks right over to where Petrie is, smiling. He leans in to the large Forfarian man ans speaks.
"I didn't find much information, Petrie. Now I will go and speak viss de servants and such and try to get information on de dead girl." He nods to everyone and grins at Everline, acknowledging her with "I'm sorry for earlier, miss. I hope you have a peaceful sleep, fraulein." Turning, he exits the dinnig hall and begins walking around the mansion, searching for a woman servant as per Thom's instructions.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Dining Hall

After Juergin leaves, something buzzes through the window nearest Everline, and over the table. The little insect flies into the shadowy end of the hall, and makes a loop of faerie fire in the gloom. Two more fireflies slip through the window slats to join the first one in an aerial dance at the far side of the room.

The serving man, a boyish, cheerful fellow, asks the diners-

"Shall I close the windows? Do you wish a second course?"

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Estace wrote:And yet... so much like Belenus!"
Dorgio listens with rapt attention as Eustace describes the commonalities between the gods. "Could Napkiraly and Belamus truly be one in the same?" A slow smile spread across his face, candlelight glinting off his golden tooth. "That would be fine news indeed! To know that the true sons of Gundarak have had brothers in the faith this whole time, a strange revelation, but a welcome one! But, this Barovian god..." The priest suddenly looks skeptical. "I am having a hard time believing that The Morninglord would consort directly with the servants of The Devil Strahd. Perhaps Andral is some demon in the guise of The Morninglord's true light, or maybe some of the gold who lost their way and corrupted the faith..."

"But still, good news indeed! But why should we find such lore here?" Perhaps the hot springs drew worshipers here, maybe they too it as some symbol of divine favor? Perhaps I should be taking Denys up on trying those baths."

Petrie wrote:"Sorry all, 'tis but a personal joke I play on all who taste for the first time of the Forfarian spirits. I know 'tis harsh of your tasting, but it shouldn't take long, I suppose, to tighten one's stomach for it."
"Ha!" Dorgio, perhaps unsurprisingly, seems to be taking the harsh spirits in good spirits. "When we return to Pont, I'll have to find a bottle of good Gundarakite palinka and return the favor. The taste, it's not as harsh, but it'll knock you on your seggedbe just the same!"
Everline wrote:"Men - and women - should not give everything to the wild and the waves; they should learn how to get along with other people in the towns and cities, as well. Monsieur Dorgio seems to have learned this lesson, non?"
"Ah my friend, then it is good he has retreated to the library, good for him to be getting some knowledge in his head. As for the people of he towns and cities," he says, taking another drink of wine to wash the taste of the peat whisky out of his mouth, "there are days when I can be taking them or leaving them. I grew up in the mountains, and the sea is a strange thing to me, but the sea, the sea does not lie. It has that to recommend it, at least."

If there is bitterness in Dorgio's tone at this last remark, it is gone as the fireflies grab his attention. "I"d rather the windows be left open," he tells the serving boy. "Beautiful creatures, those."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights