Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Yes, quite pretty," Everline says as she rises. "But alas and alack, when the fireflies come out, I feel the need to turn in. It has been a long journey getting here, gentlemen, and I feel the need for a bed that does not move more during my sleep than I do. Good night, all."

The young woman gives everyone else a polite nod and departs for her bedroom.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn weighs the options momentarily before nodding slowly. "Perhaps that would be best. We haven't had many opportunities for...private time with my work schedule of late," He drums his fingers thoughtfully against a tabletop for a moment. "Tell me about this maid friend of yours. Perhaps you could send for her? I'd like to at least send a message to Herr Sancerre with apologies for skipping out."

And, he thinks, perhaps I can get an off the record story of what may have happened to this servant girl.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

"I must agree with the intriguing Mademoiselle Vaughn that the time for rest has come," says Primeiro. He takes one last, deep drink of wine, dabs his mouth, stands up, and bows cordially to the others. "It has been an eventful and, unfortunately, painful day," he adds with a smile. "And while talk of deific origins is fascinating, a soft bed shall be my place of worship tonight. May you all sleep well."

With that, the young blond-haired gentleman walks toward his room. He keeps an eye open for an appearance by the maid Abigail. If he sees her, he'll softly ask that port wine be brought to his room -- and whisper that he wishes to speak with her privately. Otherwise, he'll retire to his room. He won't go to sleep right away, however; he'll spend some time writing in his journal.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn's room

Charlotte tells Benn, "Berenice is a sweet girl, Benn, but a little shy. Don't frighten her if you can help it."

Charlotte leaves Benn to mind Jonas while she finds the servant girl.
When she returns, she brings with her a young maid of maybe sixteen, a mousy girl in a black and white servant's outfit that looks one size to big.

"Benn, this is my friend Berenice."
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Everline's room-
Rock wrote:"Yes, quite pretty," Everline says as she rises. "But alas and alack, when the fireflies come out, I feel the need to turn in. It has been a long journey getting here, gentlemen, and I feel the need for a bed that does not move more during my sleep than I do. Good night, all."

The young woman gives everyone else a polite nod and departs for her bedroom.

Everline lies down in her warm, clean, soft bed and falls to sleep easily. In her dreams, she walks through memories of her childhood. Her father--tall and strong as a tree-- leads her through a brown field studded with hundreds of tiny white star-shaped potato blossoms. Her mother, singing in dulcimer tones, lulls her to sleep while the night-soil carts rumble across the cobbles the street below the garret window. The dream carries her into summer her mother was asked to put on her magic show in a proper theatre, the last time they had much money. Everline plays with imaginary friends in the dark hollow under the theatre's wooden stage, while the actors above her drew applause and laughter from the crowd.
Her first kiss, behind the curtains with a kind boy, the carpenter's 'prentice.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Primeiro's room
Ken of Ghastria wrote: With that, the young blond-haired gentleman walks toward his room. He keeps an eye open for an appearance by the maid Abigail. If he sees her, he'll softly ask that port wine be brought to his room -- and whisper that he wishes to speak with her privately.
Abigail slips into the room quietly, carrying a tall bottle of dark-tinged wine and a silver chalice.

The shapely maidservant drops a graceful curtsey towards Primeiro.

"My lord."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:Benn's room

Charlotte tells Benn, "Berenice is a sweet girl, Benn, but a little shy. Don't frighten her if you can help it."

Charlotte leaves Benn to mind Jonas while she finds the servant girl.
When she returns, she brings with her a young maid of maybe sixteen, a mousy girl in a black and white servant's outfit that looks one size to big.

"Benn, this is my friend Berenice."
Benn smiles cordially. "Berenice, it is good to make your acquaintance." He gestures for her to take a seat. "I understand that you and my wife have become well acquainted. I'm glad to hear that. I'm afraid I may be busy fairly often while we're here on the island. It sounds as if some...interesting events may be coming soon."

"I'm told there was a bit of misfortune here at the household recently," he continues, "A maid who was found dead. Was she someone you knew?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Juergin, roaming the halls-
tarlyn wrote:Turning, he exits the dinning hall and begins walking around the mansion, searching for a woman servant as per Thom's instructions.

Juergin finds most of the chateau in darkness. He spots a circle of amber light down the hall, possibly cast by a candle or lamp. Soft footseps are headed his way as the light grows stronger...

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Hello?," Juergin calls out in Mordentish.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn's room-
Adam wrote: Benn smiles cordially. "Berenice, it is good to make your acquaintance." He gestures for her to take a seat. "I understand that you and my wife have become well acquainted. I'm glad to hear that. I'm afraid I may be busy fairly often while we're here on the island. It sounds as if some...interesting events may be coming soon."

"I'm told there was a bit of misfortune here at the household recently," he continues, "A maid who was found dead. Was she someone you knew?"
''You must mean Maggie, the scullery girl. She was my friend, monsiuer. We shared a room in the servant's quarters. Two weeks ago, Maggie, she....Well, I don't know how it happened."

The servant girl's eyes water, and she bites her lip.

"She suffered terrible dreams, monsiuer, terrible dreams. Me too. That room, the air was too close. It made her sick, a fever I think. I was...out, that night. The next morning, we found her, dead. Ezra preserve us! Her face..."

The maid collapses into a fit of sobbing.
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Juergin in a dark hallway
tarlyn wrote:"Hello?," Juergin calls out in Mordentish.

""Hello."

The figure with the candle steps closer, and now Juergin recognizes her: Elliana, Dorgio's sometime companion. She wears only a lacy nightgown, and the gentle curves of her body show through the thin cloth. Her long blond hair tumbles down over her graceful neck and slim shoulders. In the candelight, her delicate features have taken on a vulpine look- predatory but still attractive. She smiles at Juergin, white teeth flashing in the soft light.

"Are you lost?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin blushes a fierce red at spying Eliana in such an attire. "Uh, no Frau Eliana, I am not lost." He looks at her face in a polite manner. "I am just wandering the halls. I thought I might ask some servants about the girl who died here recently. I was in the library but there are not that many books. I did find a book on animals and monsters." Scratching his head, he looks at her. "Can I accompany you back to your room? A woman should not be wandering alone halls at night."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Juergin blushes a fierce red at spying Eliana in such an attire. "Uh, no Frau Eliana, I am not lost." He looks at her face in a polite manner. "I am just wandering the halls. I thought I might ask some servants about the girl who died here recently. I was in the library but there are not that many books. I did find a book on animals and monsters." Scratching his head, he looks at her. "Can I accompany you back to your room? A woman should not be wandering alone halls at night."

"Some rogue might carry me off and have his way with me, no?"

She extends her left hand, open.

"You'd better keep me close."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Being totally unaccustomed to the wiles of women as well as so very inexperienced, Juergin holds out his right hand to hold her left in his.

"Carry you away and have his way? Coff..... coff..... uh......... I mean," Juergin swallows and blushes again. "Just hold my hand tightly and I will lead you to your room." The blond haired boys heart is beating a bit faster, not really sure what to say or do to reassure Eliana. HE thinks about her statement about a rogue and frowns. Why would a rogue be here in Denys Sancerre's chateau? Wouldn't someone have noticed him or her by now?

"Miss Eliana, so, um, I noticed that the captain and both Dorgio have an romantic interest in you. I , uh, realize I am a bit young but was wondering if you could explain to me how this came about. I have only my parents as an example. I do not use the men I have sailed with in the past few years as examples because they just would find any woman in a port and pay for love. I hope I am making sense to you and not embarassing you with my questions. I am just curious is all." He smiles at her innocently.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Juergin, in the halls
tarlyn wrote: "Miss Eliana, so, um, I noticed that the captain and both Dorgio have an romantic interest in you. I , uh, realize I am a bit young but was wondering if you could explain to me how this came about. I have only my parents as an example. I do not use the men I have sailed with in the past few years as examples because they just would find any woman in a port and pay for love. I hope I am making sense to you and not embarassing you with my questions. I am just curious is all." He smiles at her innocently.

"Romantic? Dorgio? Me? Oh, that's droll." She laughs lightly. "He's just a friend. We have some scholarly interests in common.
As for Captain Griffith, he is a gentlemen. The flowers were merely a polite gesture. "

A short walk down the dark hall, and she stops before a closed door.

"Here we are." Her grip on Juergin's hand tightens.
''Do you like sweets? How about some Hazlani delights; courtesy of M. Sancerre? I have a tin on my bedside table."

The light she carries in her right hand burns low now, almost dead. Candle wax drips off the edged of the little pewter candle holder, and strikes the stone floor with a soft plop.