Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Post by ewancummins »

The Old Abbey

Your party, led by Juergin and one of Sancerre’s servants, has taken a short trip out of the central wooded hills, and over the eastward rising grassy plain that tops the cliffs. The afternoon sunlight is warm, the breeze is tangy with the scent of sea-salt, and the landscape is unspoiled. The trail runs close to the cliff’s edge , and you all have the chance to admire the view; a hundred foot drop down white walls carved into fantastic skeleton shapes by ages of storm and wave, and the rolling crystal clear waters that stretch out to the hazy blue-gray horizon.

Your guide, a weather-beaten scarecrow of a man who answers to the name of Melmoth, points out a great jumbled ruin of sagging walls and broken arches that rises near the edge of the cliffs less than half a mile to your north.

‘’The Abbey. “

Melmoth doffs his wide canvas hat and dips his head as if in prayer. After a moment in silence, he looks about at you all; hollow eyed, and brushes his hand over his gray stubbly cheeks.

‘’I wait here with the mules. These beasts don’t like to enter the Abbey. You gentlemen do what you will. Be careful of pits.”

You can see that the narrow mule-trail continues on to the ruin.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Two

Post by RocEter »

"Lead on boy, do be mindful to warn us of any pits. Not all of us are as spry as we once were." Thom says to Juergin, then looks at Dorgio and winks at him.

"Dorgio, tell me about this lady friend of yours. Elianna that is her name correct?" Thom says to Dorgio as he falls back so he is walking next to him.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin smiles cheekily at Thom "It is Juergin, not boy, and yes I'll lead on." He turns and moves slowly and carefully, poking and prodding with a nice walking stick he found on the way.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro dismounts and gives the mule an affectionate pat. "Thank you, Melmoth," he says to the guide as he retrieves a walking stick. To the others, he says, "Let's explore, shall we? Interesting to encounter a place like this about which so little is known... or at least that's what our host says. Oh, I wouldn't blame him for deliberately playing up the 'Mystery of the Abandoned Abbey.' It's one more interesting tourist attraction."

Catching a look from Benn, he adds, "Please, have no concerns -- I do not mean to impugn him, only compliment him on his flair for business, if indeed this is intended as an attraction. I'm quite impressed with Monsieur Sancerre so far. I can see why he has instilled such loyalty in his friends."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Back at the chateau-

Denys Sancerre recieves Everline in his private quarters, not long after the luncheon. He has changed clothes; now he wears a long burgundy kaftan with full sleeves, black silk slippers, and a royal blue tunic.

His sitting room is spacious, airy, and clean, with white-washed walls and dark-stained hardwood furniture. A long Hazlani rug lies across the middle of the floor. Tinted sunlight shines through a skylight paned with green glass. The small fireplace has no wood in it, and the irons look new.

A beautiful silk taspestry hangs from the wall behind Sancerre's oversized, velvet lined armchair. The cloth depicts peasant girls in a vinyard, along with several satyrs. The goatmen are shown variously with with flutes, engaged in some sort of dance, or in pursuit of the maidens.

Denys leans forward in his chair and asks-
''How do you find my island thus far, Mademoiselle?'"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I have not seen much of the island at large as yet, Monsieur," Everline replies, "and but little of your resort. What I have seen is quite charming, quite charming. Your indoor garden is a delight, with thanks to your gardener, and if my own room is to be an example, your chambers are fine indeed. The dining room was quite elegant. What other facilities does your resort offer, apart from the much-lauded waters you have spoken of...?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict not entirely nimbly dismounts from the mule, retrieving his bag and straightening his hat and jacket casually. "I would hope that there is slightly more to it than a simple tourist attraction, in that he is sending his good friends to visit it. You may be right, however." He shrugs. "Personally, I doubt there will be much to find. The place has likely been crawled over by men working for Sancerre previous to now. Anything that was interesting to learn is likely already gone."

He walks down the path after the group, sparing a moment to glance over his shoulder suspiciously at Sancerre's man for a moment. A moment later he shakes his head dismissively and turns to catch up with the others.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Sancerre's Private Parlor

''Oh, various things; a ballroom, a court for jeu de paulme, stables for ponies, a kennel for hounds, and even a mechanical puppet show for the children. I've planted a vinyard, although of course it will take time to grow before I can make my own wine. What else? Some of the the rooms are equipped with dumbwaiters for the guests. The best thing we have, in my opinion, is our easy access to fresh water."

He sits back, sips his wine, and says-

" Did you notice the minature canals in the garden? A drainage control and irrigation system all in one. I've had clay pipes installed to refill the copper basins in the first floor guestrooms. Mules turn a big pump-mill to do that, twice a day. We pump longer if we need more water, shorter if we need less. Each basin has a valve and spigot, so the guest can turn it closed if he doesn't wish for more water. The rest of the water flows through the interior gardens, and ends up in the larger outer garden where we grow vegetables and fruit for the table. "

He chuckles softly.

''I do hope you haven't been bored by my carrying on about technical matters. I appreciate well-made things, and that includes clever artifices. I can discuss something other than the engineering of the chateau, if you like. "

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Everline starts taking notes as soon as Sancerre starts to talk. Her pen flies from left to right as she frowns in concentration. Without looking up, she replies to the nobleman's question:

"The Society appreciates all information, Monsieur. Some travellers will be extremely drawn to these innovations, so please, tell me absolutely everything."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio, now clad in his well-worn banded mail, steps down from the mule. As soon as he's on the ground he lights one of his cigarillos, and hands one to Melmoth. "For the trouble," he explains.

Turning to Primeiro and Benn, he says, "Denys is wanting this place for an attraction, to be sure. The Abbey might be picked over, but let's be careful. Who knows what beasts roost in there? I don't know what I was seeing at the ravine, but I think Denys was wrong, that was no stray cat. And the strange creature from the beach, who knows where it nests?"

He falls back then to speak with Thom. "She's with the University, studying mountains, cliffs, and the like. Smoke drifted from his nostrils as he surveyed the waves crashing against the white rock. "I think I know why she jumped at the invitation." He shakes his his head, but keeps his face masked with a grin. "But that's the way it it eh? It's my own fault though. Too pretty for my own good!"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Dorgio, now clad in his well-worn banded mail, steps down from the mule. As soon as he's on the ground he lights one of his cigarillos, and hands one to Melmoth. "For the trouble," he explains.

Turning to Primeiro and Benn, he says, "Denys is wanting this place for an attraction, to be sure. The Abbey might be picked over, but let's be careful. Who knows what beasts roost in there? I don't know what I was seeing at the ravine, but I think Denys was wrong, that was no stray cat. And the strange creature from the beach, who knows where it nests?"

He falls back then to speak with Thom. "She's with the University, studying mountains, cliffs, and the like. Smoke drifted from his nostrils as he surveyed the waves crashing against the white rock. "I think I know why she jumped at the invitation." He shakes his his head, but keeps his face masked with a grin. "But that's the way it it eh? It's my own fault though. Too pretty for my own good!"
"Pah, nonsense!" Thom says. "For a man who braves dungeons and darkly beasts you sure do lack confidence when it comes to the lady folk. Luckily for you, you have me here." He says with a mischievous grin. "We are going to have make some adjustments to your attire my friend, and you may have to let up on the drinking as well." He says in much more serious tone.

"Now, like you said she is with the University. Which means she has certain expectations of how her man is supposed to act and more then likely dress. While I don't doubt she is here to explore the landscape and the like, she came here with you. Which tells me she has to have some interest in you and even if she don't she will.." He says then chuckles, Thom looks as if though he remembered something funny.

"This will be like the time I chased out of a town by a nobleman and the guards..." Thom trails, and looks about the scenery as he waits for Dorgio to respond.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CHATEAU
Everline starts taking notes as soon as Sancerre starts to talk. Her pen flies from left to right as she frowns in concentration. Without looking up, she replies to the nobleman's question:

"The Society appreciates all information, Monsieur. Some travellers will be extremely drawn to these innovations, so please, tell me absolutely everything."

''Yes, of course..."

Sancerre repeats the story of how he acquired the island. He describes the island's history, such as it is known. He emphasizes that the local hotsprings are full of dissolved minerals that help to improve health and restore beauty. The caves, he says, are open for exploration.

He then offers Everline a walking tour of the chateau and the grounds.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Despite his earlier skepticism, the prospect of ruins to explore has an extra spring adding itself to Benn's step as he hustles to catch up with Juergin, not even bothering with his usual feigned reliance on his walking stick.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Everline, who has not stopped writing the whole time that Sancerre talked, finally looks up from her notebook. "That would be lovely, thank you," she says with a sweet smile. She does not, however, put the notebook or her pencil away...
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Despite the sudden shift in Thom's tone, Dorgio lets out a wry chuckle at the suggestion of cutting back. "You're having an ear for jokes, Thom, I'll give you that." Still, he gives an acknowledging tilt of his head before he continued toward the abbey.

"Suppose new robes wouldn't be hurting though..."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights