Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Post by Adam »

"I suppose it's possi-" he says, reaching up for the glasses before he stops in mid-sentence, staring at the altar.

"Well, would you look at that," his hand drops, "do you see what I see? There's a seam running along this altar. I hadn't noticed it before."

He kneels to examine this discovery more closely.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The thin seam looks like a masterfully fitted bit of stonework. There is no mortar. Benn can't be sure without trying, but a portion of the stone table might even be removable.

(The others-- not Juergin, who is down the pit-- may also see the seam, now that Ben has pointed it out for them. They would need to lean in close to have a good look. )
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He explains this to the others and pauses, asking "Do you think it would be wise to move it?" There may be some answers here."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

"Sorry, Juergin," calls down Primeiro. "No paper or papryrus, at least not on me at this moment."

When Benn asks above moving the stone, he says, "We should try. Something so well hidden but not sealed away.... It suggests a valuable item that someone wanted kept secret but also retrievable when necessary."

Using the coins on the rubble as a guide to avoid yesterday's trouble, he carefully moves over to the stone table. "All right... who is with me on giving this a push? On the count of 3... ready?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn fishes out his journal and tosses it over the edge to Juergin. "I expect this back, young man," he shouts down, giving a wink.

He turns with Eustace, putting a shoulder to the table. "...2..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Half the tabletop slides out with a grating sound to reveal a six inch square opening in the table. The hole is about as deep as a man's arm, and wider at the bottom than the top. Judging by the size and position of the hollow, it may well be the same space that Juergin was groping in a few minutes ago. If so, the boy may have missed something wedged in the area away from the pit-- the end of what looks like an ivory cylinder.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Everline wanders over to have a good look at the cilinder. Provided it does not radiate dangerously hostile magic, she cautiously retrieves it from the aperture and examines it more closely.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rock wrote:Everline wanders over to have a good look at the cilinder. Provided it does not radiate dangerously hostile magic, she cautiously retrieves it from the aperture and examines it more closely.
Everline suddenly feels tiny legs crawling over her right hand--and then multiple sharp stinging bites! Before she can pull her arm free of the hole, HUNDREDS of gray centipedes swarm over her right arm, her torso- even her face. The vermin crawl into her clothing and armor. Every inch of flesh they can reach, they bite.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Adam wrote:Benn fishes out his journal and tosses it over the edge to Juergin. "I expect this back, young man," he shouts down, giving a wink.

He turns with Eustace, putting a shoulder to the table. "...2..."

Juergin looks up and waits for the book to drop so he can catch it. "Hmm, now all I need is chalk or something to trace the symbols onto the paper with. What about burnt wood, de ash may do it, ja?"

Juergin looks for some wood or something he could trace onto Benn's book.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace reacts at Juergin's descent into the pit and his finding the inscription

"Juergin, I think Benn has already translated that inscription, so focus on other things down there if the inscription can not be made."

He answers Primeiro

"Well, yes, it is possible. But it might also be possible that these shadows are not undead after all. And if they're 5... and they enter the dreams, and feed on fear... then we may be in a big mess. Some of these shadows may be trapped, but others may be roaming freely. "

When Everline mentions the feeding on fear, and asks the others not to panic, he mentions
"I'm afraid so many of my spells are short term and can be used only at the moment of danger."

Then, as Everline gets hit by the swarm, he is caught by surprise.

OOC: Init roll: 1d20+0 = 6
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3379914/
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the pit-

Juergin hears some commotion from above, but before he can react...

thump

thump

thump

thump

The door shakes and groans in its frame, as if an ogre were trapped on the other side-- intent on battering free.

above the pit

More centipedes pour out of cracks in the floor...

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin nearly jumps out of his boots. "Scheisse!" He does move away from the door. "Dark One, is dat what I think it is? What you said was very very bad shadow?"

He calls up "Guys!!!!!!!!! The door is THUMP THUMP THUMP again like yesterday! Come down or I coming up!"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Everline retches, eyes bulging with a mixture of shock and impotent rage. She staggers away from the hollow now disgorging centipedes and desperately waves the ivory cilinder at the others. The wand in her other hand wobbles alarmingly.

(OOC: I'd appreciate some help. Quick help. o_o)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace cries at Juergin

"You come up and don't protest! There's enough trouble down here and you don't want to have to deal with that thing beneath! Come up, and hurry!"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I am coming!" The lad may be 30 feet below but he sounds afraid and in a hurry.