Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Post by ewancummins »

THE ABBEY RUINS

Despite magical healing, Everline still looks a mess: her hair and clothes are burned, her skin is an angry pinkish color, and her face is puffy.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I bin better," Everline says, her voice a little gruff. She makes a face, and spits out another centipede leg. "Leastwise, the other'un looks worse." Her disgruntled expression turns into a rather unpleasant smile -- and then into a wince of discomfort. "Aaagh. 'Ow about dat scroll, den?"
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"My spear is star-iron," he says in response to Primeiro. "It can wound some demons who are not harmed by steel. Some, but not all. But I am knowing more than a few prayers for dealing with the undead should it come to that, and I'm thinking it should. But perhaps something in that scroll with give us a better idea of how to deal with the creature."

Despite the gravity of the situation Dorgio has to struggle to avoid chuckling at Juergin's confession. Instead, he turns to Everline. "Are you still needing healing? The day's fighting is not done, after all."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin mumbles something about going to scout and wanders off at a brisk pace.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Not much," Everline says after brief consideration. "Could do with a bath, though. That, an' a tap o'that magic scepter what's mentioned in the journal, if'n it really takes those shadow-bastards' taint off'f a body."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be here."

Satisfied that there is no immediate threat, Benn wills the flaming sphere to go out before wandering over towards Eustace, peering over his shoulder at the scroll.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

To Benn, the writing appears be some sort of divine magical spell formula, probably necromantic in nature. Benn would need to sit down with it to really understand it, of course.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

ewancummins wrote:To Benn, the writing appears be some sort of divine magical spell formula, probably necromantic in nature. Benn would need to sit down with it to really understand it, of course.
(deleted after reading OOC thread)
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

JUERGIN

Juergin begins his trek across the island, back to the chateau.
Last edited by steveflam on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote: JUERGIN

Juergin begins his trek across the island, back to the chateau.

Juergin slips away from the ruins, unnoticed by the other members of his party...

(to be continued in PMs)

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:the lost settlement-

Thom spots a mangy, lean hound snuffling about one of the ruined cottages (maybe thirty feet away from Thom). The dog looks up at Thom and Petrie and whines pathetically.
The hound continues to whine...

PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

"Wait... Thom..." he whispers to the man. Slowly, Petrie slides his backpack off his shoulders. "Keep your eyes on it laddy."

He gingerly digs through his meal bag and pulls a chunk of dried elk meat from it. Why is it whining. Thinking perhaps the whimpering hound may attract other visitors, Petrie keeps his head swiveling slowly to keep a lookout.

"Don't make any sudden gestures..." Petrie leaves his pack near the tracks they had spotted and inches forward toward the dog, remaining low to the ground. "'Ow 'bout we see if it'd like a wee bit o' dried meat then."

Petrie holds the chunk of jerky outstretched so the breeze will carry its scent to the hound...
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Without moving too far, Petrie lowers his spear to the ground, releasing his grip. With the morsel held as a distraction, he draws a dagger from his boot and holds it with the blade along his forearm, continuing his approach.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace relates to Benn what he found.

"There are some familiar symbols here, but alas, I can not reach to understand the meaning. If all else fails, tomorrow I can pray for enlightenment and should be able to understand the scroll completely. Hope that will not be too late. Would you like to give it a try?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"The glasses seem to be pretty helpful for this sort of work. I'm good at deciphering ancient writings, but I doubt I'm that much better at this than Eustace. It's a divine scroll for a rite to control shadow creatures," Benn says after a moment of staring at the offered scroll. "I think, given enough time, I could transcribe this into my own book and learn to cast it."

At this point he looks up, a startled expression on his face. "Wait, where is Juergin? That fool boy has my book!"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."