Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter 3

Post by steveflam »

Juergin lets go of the wall and dives down, flipping a few times before bouncing off the wall and landing with ease on the pit floor. He uses the coin to look around. "Do you sense anything, Dark One?" The lad places something on the floor and takes his rapier in his hand in case he needs it.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''No...nothing here..not sure what could be behind the door."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

bottom of the pit

Juergin has the glowing coin with him, and some indirect light from above--so he can see well enough.

The air down here is somewhat damp. Rubble covers the floor.

Juergin see the grime encrusted door at the back of a shallow alcove set in the curved wall of the pit. The face of the door is covered with sheets of gray lead and the edges are spiked shut with massive, rusty iron nails. A stout bar of green bronze secures the door from this side. There is no visible lockplate or keyhole. Through the dust and slime on the door face, Juergin can make out inscriptions in some of the lead plates, set a little above eye level.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The lad looks around quickly and then approaches the door. He has no idea what is written on them, obviuously. However, if someone could have time to read these inscriptions, maybe he or she could learn something, along with what the book has to say. "Hmm" he says aloud.

"Dark One, do you think if I had some dark chalk or something, I could trace these inscriptions on papyrus? Maybe one of the others could study the inscriptions and decipher them?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn lifts up the glasses.

"Are you still detecting magical auras?" he asks Everline, holding the glasses so she can see them. If her detect magic spell is not functioning, he will cast one of his own.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"These glasses are magical," Everline says, indicating the lenses. "May I?" She reaches out and, unless anyone stops her, puts the glasses on. In any case, she calls down to Juergin: "Look around! See if you can find anything that looks like a scepter down there!" Having said that, she speaks to the others: "These 'heretical' scrolls the journal mentions -- if any fragment of them remains, they might be here, in the abbey. We need to find them."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Five shadows? Five?" The priest's hands unconsciously form claws as the implications sink in. "Yes, we must be finding that scepter and the scrolls, but we must be careful...it is almost sounding as if the scepter's cure as worse than the disease. But it is hard to tell with the papers in fragments."

He turns to Everline. "Do you think some of the missing parts of the tome could be read with those spectacles on?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"No idea," Everline says. "They must do somethin', so let's find out what. Benn? If I may? I've already been... compromised, so less harm in my trying, righ'?" Everline patiently holds her hand out for the spectacles. "Oh. An'lads? Seems ta me the blighters feed on fear, so try not ta panic, what?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin calls back up "Ja, Miss Everline. I need some papyrus unt chalk. There are inscriptions on de door. I want to try to copy them by putting de paper on the door and using chalk. I think I need many paper however. Id I do dis unt it works, it is easier to study de symbols unt inscriptions on de door, ja?"

Juergin whispers to the Dark One. "Please help me look for a scepter." He starts looking taking his time with the coin.

Search check for Juergin 18. Taking another twenty to make sure he doesn't miss anything.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"If they are dangerous, then someone who is not, as you say, 'compromised' may have a better chance of resisting their effect," Benn holds them over the book, looking through the lenses without actually donning the spectacles.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"If they are dangerous, then someone who is not, as you say, 'compromised' may have a better chance of resisting their effect," Benn holds them over the book, looking through the lenses without actually donning the spectacles.

The pages do seem a bit clearer and easier to read, but Benn notices no other effect.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

His lips twisted doubtfully, he removes his own glasses and slides the gold spectacles on.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The frame fits comfortably, and the lenses correct Benn's vision.

Looking about, everything seems normal.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He looks about, an obviously disappointed expression evident on his features.

"Were you certain they were magical?" he says, "Other than seeming to match my prescription, they don't appear to do much."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Maybe they're keyed to a specific kind of person?" Everline suggests. "Let me give them a go; maybe they'll combine with my uh, special sight."