Alain Alone, the Road to Darkon

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Alain Alone, the Road to Darkon

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:Alain Nods his head at the man and waves for the man to lead the way to the "raunie" .
The gypsy man leads Alain uphill, to a canvas awning pitched against the side of a house-wagon. Under the cloth cover sits a beautiful, slightly built woman with long curly black hair and olive skin. She's dressed in a gray wool mantle, cream colored blouse, and long saffron skirts. Silver rings twinkle at her fingers, toes, and earlobes. Judging by her youthful appearance, she might be anywhere from twenty to thrity-odd years old;but the subtle and world-weary look in her gray eyes reminds Alain of a much older person.

She speaks in a soft voice, "Please, be seated. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain takes seat and awaits what she wants from him .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The gypsy woman retrieves a tin flask from her skirts. She takes a swig from it, and then offers it to Alain."Plum-wine?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Sure give "Alain takes the flask and smells it before taking a drink of it .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:"Sure give "Alain takes the flask and smells it before taking a drink of it .
It smells a bit like like plums-- only boozier.

Tastes good.

The gypsy woman continues speaking,
"You slew Old Snaggletooth. That was quite a feat. You have given us much fish meat-- and what is better, a wonderful tale for the campfires. We collect such stories. Though you did not fight the monster for us, I must admire your prowess..."

The dark-haired beauty looks you up and down. Her red lips curl in a slight smile.

''Hmmm, yes, prowess at more than spell-slinging, I'm sure."

She sips the plum wine after you return the bottle to her.

"You are a man on a journey-- a quest. I can help you find what you seek."

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"How could you help me find what I seek ?"Alain says after taking drink of the apparent plum wine .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:"How could you help me find what I seek ?"Alain says after taking drink of the apparent plum wine .

''Vistani women have our ways of knowing things, and I am reckened wise among the women of my people. I will consult the cards."

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Sure you can . What the hell . I have wasted time with that damn fish any way so go head and consult the "Cards" ."Alain says and thinking :Whatever consulting the cards means .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:"Sure you can . What the hell . I have wasted time with that damn fish any way so go head and consult the "Cards" ."Alain says and thinking :Whatever consulting the cards means .
The gypsy woman withdraws a red leather case from inside the folds of her dress. She opens it to reveal a deck of ivory plaques. She hands these to you, watching you closely.
‘’Shuffle them.”
While you shuffle the cards, she comments- ‘’those are nice gloves. Custom work, no? “
She leans forward to whisper in your ear as she takes back the cards.
‘’I like a man with long hands. “
Reclining in her chair, she shuffles the cards again.
A young girl with milky eyes steps up and places a card table at the raunie’s left side. The girl quickly retreats to the vardo.
The gypsy matriarch favors you with an ageless smile as she lays four cards out face down in a cross.
“You are a man on a journey, so I will tell you about that journey.”

She reaches for the card—something flicks past Alain’s right cheek—and suddenly the lovely gypsy has got a crossbow bolt planted deep in her throat! Blood gouts from her mouth, she stands, and then falls. The cards scatter across the grass.
More bolts fly through the humid evening air; some strike soft targets with a dull thud.
The camp erupts in chaos as men, women, and children flee from the shooters. Dogs and horses go wild. Ten or twelve lightly armed horsemen ride into the camp, hurling firebrands at the wagons and the barge.
More attackers--unarmored bandits armed with clubs or hatchets-- march into the camp. They lurch drunkenly through the camp, beating or cutting down every gypsy or traveler in sight.
Harsh, high pitched laughter reaches Alain through the gathering smoke-
‘’Kill them all! Hahaaa!’

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Damn it !! What do the fates themselves conspire against me ?"Alain yelps in surprise as he looks around for the possible leader of the bandit group to use his most potent spell against in a way to possibly to kill the head of the snake as it were and to demoralize the bandits in one fell swoop .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alain looks about....

(check PM)

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alain spots a tall, rawboned man in a long coat of mail, mounted on a sorrel mare. The other bandits seem to be taking orders from this man. The tall man is only about twenty yards and closing--but there are civilians on the field between him and Alain; a couple of small children, two injured women , and an old gypsy man hobbling on a cane.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Moving around the civilians, Alain conjures a fist sized ball lightning and hurls it at the mail-clad rider.

The man's hair stands up all on end just before the ball strikes, and he looks towards the ball and open his mouth as if to shout. In another instant; horrible screams, sparks flying, the mare sprawled on the ground. The rider, incredibly so, gets to his feet and takes four or five steps towards Alain, drawing a sword. Then he trips and falls on his face, smoke pouring through the links of his mail.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alain darts about the camp, blasting magical fire, acid, and electricity at the bandits.

The foolish ones die. The smart ones flee for their lives.

When the smoke clears, Alain is unhurt but for a few minor scratches. A half dozen bandits and a couple of horses are dead. Another horse is badly hurt, but the old gambler from the river boat puts it down with a dagger stroke. He’s hurt too, but not badly, just bruises. The young couple and the captain are okay. Several gypsies are dead or injured.The raunie, of course, is dead.

The Vistani spit curses at the fleeing bandits. Alain's fellow passengers and the crew of the boat all cover their ears, avert their eyes, or make signs when the gypsies do that.

The boatmen douse the smoldering section of the boat.
The boat captain announces-
''I think we'd best be on our way folks."
He prods a smoking corpse with his foot.

''These guys were Falkovnians. See the hawk brands? Might be they are deserters. Men come running off the Dead Line sometimes; a few make it this far south. They got spooked by Alain’s magic, but they might come back. They might want to get revenge for their mates. Can’t chance them getting smart and jumping us tonight."

Before Alain’s keelboat departs, the milky eyed gypsy girl presses an amulet into his hand. It appears to be a smooth disk of brass, but as he looks at it, a design like two eyes surrounded by glyphs appears.
‘’In Il Aluk.’’
She says nothing else, but steps away and vanishes into the smoke.
‘’All aboard—we’re shoving off!’’

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain gets on the boat before some else tries to slow his journey down even more .