Gundar and Feast of Goblyns

Discussing all things Ravenloft
mason
Conspirator
Conspirator

Gundar and Feast of Goblyns

Post by mason »

Hey everyone. I've been perusing some of my rl stuff with an itch to run it. Anyway, I've got Feast of Goblyns. Never ran it (partially because my 1st copy was a handme down and was missing the first 6 pages, but I got a new copy from ebay (even came with the poster!!).
Anyway I've got a couple of questions about it.

1. In the beginning with the whole jail cell thing.
I know this is just a railroad to get the players in there but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how exactly they supposed to coerce a werewolf into moving from one cell into another with them either a-being ate alive or b-getting locked into the cell themselves with it and being ate alive. I dont have my copy on me right now but I was having a hard understanding from the text and the map is not all that great. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Gundar
So was there ever any adventures involving him (official or unofficial). Maybe a kind of prequel or alternate rl where he's still around?

Thanks in advance for any help.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Gundar and Feast of Goblyns

Post by The Lesser Evil »

It wouldn't work as a preequel, but Children of the Night (Werebeasts, for 2e) featured a cameo of Gundar. In Professor Arcanus' adventure "Missing Bones" it turns out that
VIEW CONTENT:
after the duke got staked, he got sold to Professor Arcanus' traveling sideshow. In the adventure, the stake is removed and he frames Arcanus for a murder
It could serve as a sequel (perhaps along with Bleak House since it features Dominani)
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

Gundar also made an appearance in one of the early ravenloft novels (i believe knight of the black rose or vampire of the mists).

Feast of Goblyns is a great adventure, but like lots of material from that period if you cant wrap your heade around something it is best to change it. When I ran feast of goblyns again, i took out the railroads and eliminated stuff that was confusing or poorly explained (if you want a real challenge try running the created or ship of horror).
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

mason wrote:1. In the beginning with the whole jail cell thing.
I know this is just a railroad to get the players in there but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how exactly they supposed to coerce a werewolf into moving from one cell into another with them either a-being ate alive or b-getting locked into the cell themselves with it and being ate alive. I dont have my copy on me right now but I was having a hard understanding from the text and the map is not all that great. Any advice is appreciated.
My guess would be to take advantage of the werewolf's animalistic aspect. Use torches to scare it. Wolfsbane (I forget the name of that Kartakan variety that appears in the Radaga section of the module) to repel it. Flashy magic. Or if all else fails, bull rush. The more pressing concern to me in that section was once the PCs are trapped, and see Akriel outside, they are just supposed to break free. How? If they could break out, why wouldn't they do it immediately. And it's a JAIL. That holds werewolves. But it can't hold a band of adventurers?

So when I ran it recently, I just skipped that part and had them stumble on Akriel and Harkon on the streets, after hearing screaming from an alley.
2. Gundar
So was there ever any adventures involving him (official or unofficial). Maybe a kind of prequel or alternate rl where he's still around?
Well, he's up and around again, thanks to a foolish farmer named Jaybe who pulled the stake out of his skeleton. (See Children of the Night: Vampires and a mention of those events in Gaz I or IV (I think IV).) But there's not much about what he's been up to since then, if I recall. For more backstory on him, there's an unofficial writeup in the Book of Secrets.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

I find the werewolf-in-the-jail sequence to work best as its own little standalone encounter. The basic premise (guards have realized that there's something supernatural in under their supervision, don't want to endanger their own lives, need potentially expendable outsiders to try to get rid of it for them) to actually be quite fitting for the Ravenloft setting: it's the sort of survivalist, somewhat selfish POV that should color the attitudes of the general random NPC. It's true that there's no real reason for it to tie directly into FoG (after all, there's no particular reason that Akriel has to contact them while they're incarcerated and can't just walk up to them in the Crystal Club or something). Still, it is nice to have a sequence that can be lifted out of the adventure and placed wherever/whenever in a campaign without obligating you to use or rewrite the rest of the setting chronology.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

BedrockBrendan wrote:Gundar also made an appearance in one of the early ravenloft novels (i believe knight of the black rose or vampire of the mists).
Yeah, it's KotBR, but it's pretty brief.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
BedrockBrendan wrote:Gundar also made an appearance in one of the early ravenloft novels (i believe knight of the black rose or vampire of the mists).
Yeah, it's KotBR, but it's pretty brief.
Gundar had a son in that one - Medraut, a crazed sorceror.
Germaine
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Germaine »

I actually have Gundar alive and well IMC, following the events of "Missing Bones". Having regained his senses, he and his son Balthazar Dolevina- from the USS Vallaki Gaz.- are hanging around Castle Hunadora and serving as lieutenants of Hunadora's new "lord" and leading his bandits/revolutionaries, while Gundar plots to retake his former holdings. Needless to say, my take on TEE's ending and the "new Gundarak" is somewhat different from the official line...