Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Documents, Notes, & Clues

Online roleplaying at the Café
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Documents, Notes, & Clues

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Here's a thread for keeping track of important details in the campaign.
Last edited by Brock Marsh Runoff on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Documents, Notes, & Clues

Inscription on Table in the Abbey

ALL HAIL
THE UNCONQUERED SON OF THE SUN
PRINCE OF THE DAWN
BRILLIANT YOUTH
WORLD-BREAKER
THE EVER-SPRING
BLAZING CHARIOTEER
WE GIVE THEE WORSHIP
MAKE NEW OUR HEARTS
BURN AWAY THE MISTS
AS YOU MUST RISE
TOWARDS THE NOON-TIDE QUEEN
SO THE DUSK-LORD MUST FLEE
INTO NIGHT
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Scroll

-A divine spell of some kind (Eustace)

-"Dorgio can tell that it is some kind of priestly necromancy connected with a god or spirit called 'The Dusklord.'"

-"It is written in an archaic dialect, but is decipherable through magic. The ritual it describes is a sort of clerical incantation that draws on the power of 'the Dusklord' to grant some kind of tiara or coronet to the speaker of the rites. This headpiece lends temporary authority over the undead." (After a "read magic" spell)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

The Journal in the Abbey Ruins

Here are the fragmented entries in the journal that had been tucked away in a hole in the abbey's masonry:

--complained of a terrible dream, last night. He looks weak ---

December 1st
The abbot’s scepter restored Jameson to his old self----its powers are not unlimit----
-------- happening? No one knows. The abbot urges us to remain calm, but I fear the worst is yet to come. —

--burnt it.— stained---
---------------------------rats in the pantry---------------------------------------------------------ink---
---------------------------- true?
--- could do nothing for Luke----- died.--

December 10th
---sleep by day and try to remain awake and active through the night. Our supply of candles is ------------ ---------------reduced to using grass torches. I dread the night when we must wait in darkness.
---shadows watch us—
---------12th
-------- last night. All ------------- survivors, fell asleep despite a full day’s rest. --------------- power has grown, or else we have weakened too much to resist it. --- dull and heavy—no dreams. Cadmus wore a horrid expression on his dead face, and I am sure that the creature was with him in his nightmares.
---the sea--- ---------------------------------ned today----------------------------plea--------------------------------------not.
---busied myself in the library. I found some scrolls that may be of use, after I finish transla-----------The--- ----------acles proved useful----------
---one for each--- prayed----------all of us---------------------------------heavy snow------cold-----one cord.---------
--no answers--- I hope.------------ ----------other lost.

December 21st
---------attempts to escape the island have failed. Brothers Jameson and Walther drowned last night when -----------capsized.-------------------------------------------------------
----------- no way of contacting the mainland. Our only hope is that a ship will visit the island, or at least pass near enough that we can hail it. A horrible thought comes to me- what if a ship has already passed us, during the day when we sleep?

----------- protect------------ing is not alone. Brother Samuel reports that he saw at least five of the shadow-ghosts--------------------the scriptorium last night. ----------- very tired. -------------watch the sunrise. Few candles left. -------------must sleep. The night returns too soon.
----ht light repels—

--might help. The Abbot called the scrolls heretical---------- forbade me to study them further. -------gone now, and the others defer to me. ----------------Whatever the peril to my soul---
-----a-------------th--------------------------dim-------------k--------------
--plenty of wine, but I dare not drink much, lest I grow drowsy.—
--------------- ---------faded-------------- bookworms, mice, my ten-thousand crawling foes!-------------
-------pit------or---------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ost.----------
---days since I have slept, eaten a full meal, or heard a human voice------------ --- -----------their bodies to the sea. No time for a proper burial—----------forgive me—
-- cannot keep awake much longer---
-----my brothers!----- -------in order to destroy it. I lack only the------- ed.---
---finished. I have trapped ----------------s within, using the incantations from the forbidden scrolls. I pray that the things will starve without our fear ---------------------------------------- not hold forever. --- -----
---neath the stone altar-table with the forbidden scrolls and my enchanted spec------
--------------------scepter is missing. I dropped it in my battle with the Shadow. --- dare not open the door, not now--
---strange to think I once wished that my own death would come in bed, as I slept. I do not wish that now! --------------the sea should take me.
---------------reading these words, you have ignored the warnings I-----------------
----------------- this advice: whatever happens, do not go to sleep.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

If we're allowed to elaborate on that here, rereading this text some things make a bit more sense now.

- So, the scepter is lost, probably behind the door with the incantation.
- Indeed, the scrolls are heretical, but allowed for some kind of victory: sealing the shadows behind a door. This seems to me definitive, and a very good reason to not open the door
- There were at least five shadows, and we don't know how many are sealed. But it is enough that one is out.
- The Dusklord may then be the evil deity that allows the control of shadows, undead and dark forces in general
- It seems safe to sleep during the day. It may not help to stay awake during the night, but at least it will prevent us being exhausted from not sleeping at all.
- Another thing called my attention: he put something beneath the altar, together with the scrolls and the spectacles. Did we find something else there?
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)