Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

THE WOODS

Juergin rips at the man thing with his gaff while Dark One claws at it.

The monster screams again, and pushes past the hooked end of the pole to slash Juergin's left forearm with the knife-- a shallow wound.

Benn has an opening...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"C'mere," Everline says in a brusque tone. She switches one wand for another and presses it into the worst of Primeiro's wounds in turn. "I dun' blame you fer smacking me one when I was nuts," she says. Where the wand touches Primeiro, his wounds start to vanish...

(OOC: Two charges of Cure Light Wounds for 12 hp returned to Primeiro. Do you need more? Anyone else in dire need?)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Very well, I can see the wisdom in your words, Dorgio. You are more used to underground adventures than I. I can consecrate this area, it would last for almost half a day, I reckon. And I'm guessing that creature, creature of the night that it is, should well be affected."

Then he looks at Primeiro.

"But tell me, Primeiro. I think you have some things to tell us, don't you? What was all that shouting about a Servant? You have past history with this thing, as even the paintings suggest? And you, Miss Vaughn, if it's not too bold of me to ask, have you any idea why a painting of yours would be here? And younger than you are now?"

Then his face softens a bit.

"If you think we will not be going after that thing tonight, then I can turn what I have left of my magic into healing for those who need."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro looks at Everline after she uses the wand. "My thanks, mademoiselle. I shall do my utmost to stay on your 'good side' from now on. I fear I know too well now the painful risks of being your enemy." He manages a slight smile.

After Eustace comments, he raises an eyebrow. "Calm yourself," he says with a note of warning. "Do I know this beast by name? No. But he seems to know me. He called me by a name that only the most callow servants in my home used when I was a child... out of earshot, of course. It's clear he had no respect or gratitude for his service in that past life." He looks again at Everline.

"As for why there was a 'younger' depiction of Mademoiselle Vaughn -- I hope you're not saying she's 'old,' Eustace -- that seems obvious. The creature feeds on childhood fears -- our childhood fears. Mademoiselle Vaughn has already described her unfortunate experience. My mind, too, was sent back to a terrifying memory as a small boy. I take it the same was true of you, Dorgio, with your ranting about Count Strahd, yes? The shadow-fiend takes those memories and uses them as weapons to pierce our minds, our souls. Those portraits... trophies, perhaps? Receptacles?

"I wish more than ever that Herr Gerrmann were here now. He would probably have a sound theory about this.... In the meantime, if the portraits are no more, as they seem to be, then yes, let's consecrate this damn place. And then track down that monster."
Last edited by Ken of Ghastria on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE DUNGEON-

Petrie says,

''Bah! The lassie can't be much more than fifteen or sixteen years. She's not foolin' me.''
Petrie taps the little grated door.

''Are you men sure fire will work? Hmm... and should we look inside before we burn it?'

He looks over to Thom.
''So what's the plan? Thom, what do you think we should do?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Sounds abou' righ', what Primeiro said," Everline says with a shrug. Her eyes harden again. "'Sides, look at me." She spreads her arms, letting the rather damaged folds of her dress fall about her. "The fine clothes? It's a disguise, fer me. I en't some frail flower'a the aristocracy. I. Am. Everline."

If there is pride in that last sentence, it is the pride of a stalking predator; a creature confident in its own strengths and the fact that it could be dead tomorrow if it makes a mistake.

"That paintin' were an insult ta who an' what I am," Everline concludes. "Now. I suggest someone bash that there grate in so's we can see what's what already."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE DUNGEON-

Petrie kicks open the grate and gets down on his belly to peer into the space on the other side.

He gasps and rolls over, his face dead white and beaded with sweat.

''Oh, thank the gods we didna burn it! Benn's little boy is in there!"

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Ah, a victory at last then! But does that mean Juergin and Benn can also come this way? What should we do, wait? Meanwhile, let's do what must be done..."

He comes out to the workshop and begins the ritual for consecrating the whole area to Belenus, god of Light.

OOC: Ewan, I can deduce a holy water vial. But what about the 25gp in silver dust, do I deduct them from my money or does the spell not function because I haven't that actually listed in my gear?
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Can he fit through?" Everline asks. She goes to one knee in front of the grate and calls out, her voice as civilized as it was on the ship that brought everyone to Gauntcliff: "Jonas? Sweetie? Can you hear me? It's Everline; I'm a friend of your daddy's. Can you come to me, sweetheart? Your mummy really wants to see you again."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Dorgio nods when Primeiro mentions Strahd." Yes, memories...or fears at least. Whatever this beast is, it has some knowledge of our worst selves...or at least, it can bring that out in us."

"I still say we should be looking first," he says, agreeing with Petrie. And when the big man rips the grate and finds Jonas, Dorgio finally breaks into a smile untainted with rage or fear. "Thanks be to Napkirály!"

He allows Everline to continue coaxing the child from his hiding place and turns to aid Eustace in the consecration. He hardly even minds that it's being done in the name of Eustace's version of The Morninglord. After all, that's what Belenus was in the end, yes? Whatever the case, Dorgio could put his sectarian leanings aside while they worked to purge this place of The Dusklord's influence. At the same time, he keeps a wary eye for any artifacts that may have missed destruction. Perhaps he could glean something from whatever they hadn't sacked.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE WOODS-

Benn rushes from behind the man-thing and strikes it across the back of the skull with his walking stick.

The monster falls sideways, onto the fire. It lies there in the flames, thrashing and gurgling. The stink of burning hair and skin fills the air. After a short time, the creature stops moving among the scattered ashes and coals.

Dark One glides past Benn, murmuring “Just like old times with Norzak…”
The shadow crawls onto the boy’s back.
’’Good, kill, kill.’’

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Juergin walks over to where the dead man is and bashes his head in, clearly furious. As if he hasn't done anything, he takes a few breaths and catching his breath, he walks over to where the squeeling in the bag is. He pokes it once.

"Gruz, Smezel is that you?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE DUNGEON

Rock wrote:"Can he fit through?" Everline asks. She goes to one knee in front of the grate and calls out, her voice as civilized as it was on the ship that brought everyone to Gauntcliff: "Jonas? Sweetie? Can you hear me? It's Everline; I'm a friend of your daddy's. Can you come to me, sweetheart? Your mummy really wants to see you again."

Petrie's powerful kicked shattered the little grated door in the wall, so Everline can look in if she bends her head low to the ground.

Beyond the small door she makes out the blurry outlines of a small chamber with a low ceiling, a big boxy thing in the back, and the recumbent form of a little child closer to her but not within reach.

Someone brings a light closer, and now Everline can see Jonas' face. His eyes are wide open, frozen on her in a look of stark terror. His little jaw works furiously, trying to bite through the gag in his mouth. The boy's arms are pulled back; she can't see if his hands are tied. His ankles are bound with a swatch of cloth.

The boxy thing behind the toddler turns out to be a heavy wooden chest, finely made but old and dusty.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE WOODS-
tarlyn wrote:Juergin walks over to where the dead man is and bashes his head in, clearly furious. As if he hasn't done anything, he takes a few breaths and catching his breath, he walks over to where the squeeling in the bag is. He pokes it once.

"Gruz, Smezel is that you?"

(Benn hadn't noticed the leather bag that hangs from a tree a little distance behind the old man's bedroll. The darkness hid it. Juergin seems to have little trouble with the gloom, as if the boy can see in the dark like a dwarf...)

Juergin pokes the bag and something inside it squeals.
Muffled voices sound from within, but say nothing intelligible.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

If Juergin can get the bag down by himself, he will. If not he will ask Benn for help.

OOC: Presuming Benn will help if Juergin needs it.

Juergin opens the bag.