Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Five

Post by Adam »

"I hope I don't end up regretting this," Benn mutters, following behind.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN-
Adam wrote:"I hope I don't end up regretting this," Benn mutters, following behind.
Benn passes through the hollow...

After a momentary sensation of falling, Benn finds himself standing in darkness.

Something scratches in the dark, sparks fly--and then a small light appears at about the level of Benn's waist. One of the monocular cretins looks up at him, holding a candle.
Small man-like shapes stir in the gloom about Benn.

The creature holding the candle (Jürgen called it Smezel) says,

''We here. Dungeon."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Everline flops free of the men's hands, approaches Petrie, and starts sawing at Jonas' bonds with a knife. She is careful not to nick his skin, but her assault on the ropes is... intense.

"Don't worry, sweetie," she says while she works. "We're here now. We're here now."

(OOC: I am not making the classic mistake of promising we'll have him back with mum and dad soon. No knowing what'll happen next!)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN THE WORKSHOP AREA, NEAR THE BOLT-HOLE
Rock wrote:Everline flops free of the men's hands, approaches Petrie, and starts sawing at Jonas' bonds with a knife. She is careful not to nick his skin, but her assault on the ropes is... intense.

"Don't worry, sweetie," she says while she works. "We're here now. We're here now."

(OOC: I am not making the classic mistake of promising we'll have him back with mum and dad soon. No knowing what'll happen next!)

Once Jonas' gag is undone and his arms and legs are free, he begins to kick and scream.

''Mama! Papa!"

The shadows continue to grow, creeping along the walls.

Petrie asks the others,

''Do we pull out the chest? Burn it? Flee?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Give him to me, quick!" Everline says, grabbing Jonas as soon as she can. "I'm not going to try and hook that box, I'm all for getting Jonas out of this filthy hole in the ground! Jonas, do you understand? We are leaving here. We're going back to the big house. Yeah?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jonas continues to scream-
'' Papa! Mama!"
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Look at me, boy!" Everline orders, in a brook-no-objection kind of tone she remembers from her own mother. As soon as she has Jonas' full and undivided attention, she continues: "We've met. I'm daddy's friend. I am going to do my best to bring you back to your parents. Understand? Now: NO more wriggling, NO more screaming. We are leaving here, fast as we can. Right, gents?"

(OOC: No guarantees, no guarantees at all... *sigh Cruel old world.)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Petrie doesn't respond to Everline's question. He clutches his dying torch and watches the shadows moving along the walls.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

While Everline cries to be pulled from the hole and Primeiro cries for lights, Eustace lights his lantern and moves to a spot where it can illuminate most of the room. He tries to dissipate the shadows most often where the group stands.

After that Jonas is brought out, he casts Remove Fear on the boy and Everline.

Edit: removed a minor break of the 4th wall.
Last edited by Ail on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:BENN-
Adam wrote:"I hope I don't end up regretting this," Benn mutters, following behind.

After a momentary sensation of falling, Benn finds himself standing in darkness.

Something scratches in the dark, sparks fly--and then a small light appears at about the level of Benn's waist. One of the monocular cretins looks up at him, holding a candle.

''We here. Dungeon."
"Where's the cell?" Benn says, looking around for his own candle or torch he could pick up and light. "And where are the others?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Let's get Jonas out of the pit first," Dorgio agrees. "But once he's safe, I want to be looking at that chest. We're still nearly as ignorant of what's going on here as we were before."

Seeing the shadows grow, he mutters a prayer of light centered on his spear, and waits for Everline and Jonas to reach safety.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Rock wrote:"We are leaving here, fast as we can. Right, gents?"
"You are damn well correct, mademoiselle," says Primeiro, warily eying the growing shadows.

Seeing Petrie's possible fear or paralysis, he slaps the man roughly on the shoulder. "Snap out of it, big fellow! We're leaving!"

After collecting and sheathing his rapier, he holds Everline's morningstar in a defensive position as he guards Everline's and Jonas' retreat from the room.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Everline does not spend anymore time trying to settle Jonas down. Instead, she uncinches her belt, hitches it up and straps Jonas to her chest, to make sure he can't wriggle free as she moves to the exit.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Adam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:BENN-

''We here. Dungeon."
"Where's the cell?" Benn says, looking around for his own candle or torch he could pick up and light. "And where are the others?"

"Dark One. Go find the cells or Jonas please."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

As Everline climbs up the pit with Jonas, Dorgio carefully ties a length of rope to one of his crossbow bolts, fixing the rope just beneath the bolt's tip, both to help it fly better and to help keep the bolt from penetrating too far into the wood. Once Everline is clear of the pit, he takes aim at the chest with his crossbow. In this way, he hopes to create a way they can pull the chest out using the anchored bolt instead of having to climb into the chamber.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights