Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Six

Post by ewancummins »

Thom-
Early morning in the harbor of Gauntcliff
Thom and Petrie have checked and rechecked the supplies in the boat. It’s all tallied and secured; enough food and fresh water for a week at sea.
Petrie remarks, ‘’We ought to make port in a day or two if the wind treats us fine, Thom. “
The big man lashes his fishing spear to the mast. ‘’Just in case any sharks come calling.”
Denys and Melmoth stand on the pier near the post where the skiff is tied.
“Good luck, and may the Lady watch over you both”, Denys says as the two voyagers climb into the small vessel. The stout merchant shakes a little windblown sand from his rose colored robes. “Mind you keep those victuals hidden while on Ghastria. Some of the local thugs might knife a foreigner for a good cheese or some fine wine.”
Melmoth grunts, not quite a laugh. The laconic hireling raises a hand in a wordless farewell, and then turns to walk back up the planks towards the dunes’ edge where two mules stand saddled.

the Chateau Sancerre on the Isle of Gauntcliff

Servants come round to all the guest rooms and gently waken each of Jonas’ rescuers, as well as Benn and Jürgen. The servants inform these guests that Master Sancerre will take breakfast on the upper terrace in about an hour, and all the guests are invited.

You all had a little time to talk last night, but many things remain unclear or confused. All of you were tired and needed rest. None of the other guests knows exactly what happened to Benn—his time before sleep was spent with Jonas and Charlotte. The poor woman still looked half-mad the last time anyone other than Benn saw her.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri May 25, 2012 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Six

Post by steveflam »

Juergin rises with a smile. "Gruz, Smezel, come here. I am going to get you each a surprise today or arrnage for you to have one, ok?"

He waits for their ackowledgement. "Today I will get someone to make you new clothes! THese ones are due for a change and, I will show how nice a bath can be. I will be going to eat this morning, but afterwards I'll go arrnge for your new clothes, ok?"
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio as usual is up with the sun, but for once he leaves his flask corked curing his morning prayers. Though the puzzle of what lurked on this island was far from unravelled, the priest was feeling victorious. Jonas had been found, and it had been a long time since something so chaotic had ended so well for Dorgio. So in his good mood, he decided to forgo the morning drink. No, too many questions unanswered to get pie-eyed just yet.

Instead, he headed to Juergin's room. Dorgio desperately wanted to find out what had happened when his friends had disappeared into the "stain," but he knew Benn would be busy with his family.

"Juergin?" He asks as he knocks on the door. "Can I be coming in?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Juergin rises with a smile. "Gruz, Smezel, come here. I am going to get you each a surprise today or arrnage for you to have one, ok?"

He waits for their ackowledgement. "Today I will get someone to make you new clothes! THese ones are due for a change and, I will show how nice a bath can be. I will be going to eat this morning, but afterwards I'll go arrnge for your new clothes, ok?"

Gruz and Smezel crawl out from under Juergin's bed, blinking and yawning.

Smezel inquires with a hopeful tone, ''New clothes are magic? We gonna be magic like you and the fat man?"

Gruz asks ''What is 'bath' ?"

Both creatures duck back under the bed when Dorgio knocks at the door and calls out for Juergin.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Juergin rises with a smile. "Gruz, Smezel, come here. I am going to get you each a surprise today or arrnage for you to have one, ok?"

Gruz and Smezel crawl out from under Juergin's bed, blinking and yawning.

Smezel inquires with a hopeful tone, ''New clothes are magic? We gonna be magic like you and the fat man?"

Gruz asks ''What is 'bath' ?"

Both creatures duck back under the bed when Dorgio knocks at the door and calls out for Juergin.

"We will talk later" he adds as they go hide under the bed.

"Yes, Dorgio, come in."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro rises slowly from his bed when awakened by Abigail. The sight of the voluptuous girl bending over him is invigorating, and on any other morning, he would pull her into bed with him. But not today. He stands up and stretches -- then winces at the unexpected pain in his side.

He follows Abigail's gaze to the blood stains on his nightshirt. Although Everline's wand had healed most of his injuries last night, it didn't quite match the amount of damage inflicted by that same enigmatic, fascinating young woman during her mania. "Not to worry, my dear," he says to Abigail. "Last night was a triumph, albeit a painful one. I hope to make tonight another triumph... for you." He gazes at her playfully and with undisguised desire. "In the meantime, please tell Monsieur Sancerre that I shall join him at breakfast."

After she leaves, Primeiro reflects again on last night. He knew that events in the ruins could have been FAR more ruinous, especially if Everline or Eustace had landed another solid blow or if he hadn't recovered from his own delirium. Last night wasn't the first time that he had struck a woman, but he's sure it was the first time that his life depended on it. Still, he was glad he hadn't simply run Everline through with his sword; it would've been like destroying a work of art.

Speaking of which... WAS it a coincidence that he was here, now, combating the raging undead spirit of a man from his childhood? Or had it been arranged? Alas, answers would not be coming anytime soon.

He dresses and then begin writing an account of the mysterious, terrifying events that had occurred since his arrival on Gauntcliff.* Afterward, he puts away his writing material securely and leaves to join Sancerre for breakfast.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace sleeps fitfully, too tired to skip sleep, but too excited and worried to have a good night of it. He raises early, with the worry that he's got to grind silver, as much of it as possible, and to bless a few vials of water.

He looks to the coming day as a new battleground, for he's sure they should return to the ruins in full daylight, to at least consecrate the area.

As he splashes his face with cold water, his thoughts begin to clear and settle. There's Benn, now reunited to his family, and poor Charlotte, hopefully, would have recovered her sanity. Then the mysteries of Juergin's and Benn's experience, the way how Jonas was tied in the abbey, the nature of the shadow ogre, and who could have opened and then closed the cellar door, or if there was another access to it....

Too many questions. He surely would have to meet someone soon. He judged his most prominent questions were towards Primeiro and maybe Everline. If he could get to the bottom of their relation to the Ogre, then perhaps they could solve a bit more of this mystery.

He left the room, having told the servant he would be very happy to break the fast with the master of the manor, but for now he turned to Primeiro's room. He wanted to know exactly how much they could tell Sancerre about Primeiro's past, and his so far unperceived relation to the Ogre.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict returned last night with every intention of resisting sleep, if only to keep an eye out for any further trouble. It felt like he hadn't slept in days, however, and so he was finally pulled into nodding off after a few moments of tearful reuniting with his wife and son. The three spent the night curled up together on their bed, no one bothering to undress beyond perhaps kicking some shoes off to the side.

And thus it is that Benn is found the next morning at the writing desk in his room, fretfully alternating between recording his observations regarding the nightmare world, the Lost Princes, and any of the other details of his journey and flipping back and forth through his journal. His clothing is rumpled and soiled, his tweed jacket slung carelessly over the back of his wooden chair. His breastplate has been pulled from storage, and the beaten but sturdy looking armor is cleaned and prepared. His crossbow sits on the desk next to him, the springs oiled and wound. A long line of smoke curls from the bowl of the pipe clutched in his teeth.

Satisfied with his work, he flips to the portion of the book containing his prayers, fretfully committing them to memory. He is grateful for a night's rest, at least, to allow him to learn some new invocations and be better prepared for what is to come.

Once that is completed, he turns to the back of his book and rips out a sheet of paper. He takes up pen again, and quickly scratches down some words.

Herr Sancerre,

I do not wish to seem an ungrateful guest, but I am gravely concerned for the safety of my family while we remain on this island. I shall not be leaving their side, and I should like you to see to arrangements that we may leave this place at the earliest opportunity. As I doubt you would wish to see an armed and armored man prowling the halls of your chateau, the three of us shall remain confined to our quarters until such time as an exit can be made.

Thank you for your understanding,
Bennedict

He nods in satisfaction, folding the note and quickly sealing it with wax. He rings the bell for a servant and hands the parchment to them, with strict instructions that it be delivered immediately.

Finally, all of his tasks taken care of, Bennedict sits back and quietly smokes his pipe, one hand resting on the butt of his crossbow.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio opens the door and takes a seat. "We have not spoken much, you and I. Perhaps I am to blame. I've lost many friends over the years, including your "shadow's" former master. But you've always done your share and more, you're having my respect, young man."

"And now I am wondering, what happened when you sunk into the floor? Were you and Benn together the whole time? What of Jonas? Was he there too?" He shakes his head. "This is all still very confusing, I am not sure what to be making of it. Maybe something you saw, something that happened when you were gone could be the key?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Everline awakens from dreams of fire, blood, screams -- and darkness. The seemingly-endless, gaping darkness of caves, where there rushes water that has never known the benediction of light. She can remember the stink of fungus, grown to bizarre forms. But more than that, she remembers the sensation of hunting, of chasing something through the dark by the scent of its black blood, her hands and belly full of fire.

As her eyes open to a new day, Everline can feel it. 'I am hunting. There has been a brief pause, but today the hunt resumes.'

Very slowly, Everline raises a hand and clenches it into a fist.
'And when I catch you...'

Exploding into motion, Everline throws off the covers and hustles herself into not one of the fancy dresses she brought, but her proper clothes: hose, shirts and shortcoat, all made of tough, long-lasting materials, all the same inconspicuous grey-green colour. She puts on her armour, safely hidden under the shortcoat, and hides her daggers and wands in the usual places. With her morningstar on her belt, boots on her feet, gloves on her hands and her hair tied back in a warrior's tail, Everline departs her room.

'First breakfast, then hunting,' she promises her own sense of urgency. 'Patience, patience...'
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Dorgio opens the door and takes a seat. "We have not spoken much, you and I. Perhaps I am to blame. I've lost many friends over the years, including your "shadow's" former master. But you've always done your share and more, you're having my respect, young man."

"And now I am wondering, what happened when you sunk into the floor? Were you and Benn together the whole time? What of Jonas? Was he there too?" He shakes his head. "This is all still very confusing, I am not sure what to be making of it. Maybe something you saw, something that happened when you were gone could be the key?"

"Well, ah thank you Dorgio. But I well, it is hard to say. I am but a young one compared to you all so I guess you could say I try harder? I have been through a lot since my papa died needless to say, but we are not here to talk about that."

He runs a hand through his hair then stretches. He was still pretty tired but felt better. Frowning he thinks about the past events and walking over to the wall, he leans on it, sighing.

"Well, first of all, I fell through the black hole and it all happened quickly. I think I got beat up by something as I can not see in the dark. I woke in a cell without my belongings. It all happened so fast Dorgio.

I did not hear from or see Benn for a while and Dark One was missing as well.
The first thing I did hear was Jonas. He must have been in another cell. I tried to calm him but I think he only wanted his ma or pa which is normal. Anyways, I think he got taken away and I found in my pocket somethings I could use to escape. I opened my cell and a battle ensued, I think I had some light source. So I beat up this odd looking goblin one eyed creature. He brought me to their chief. These things like gold by the way. So I bribed my way into their freindship. I also seem to remember seeing a lunatic man in a loincloth, but he is important later."

Juergin takes a breath and looks at Dorgio, smiling shyly.

"Well these creatures, I ended up befriending two of them. Gruz and Smezel. I did not see it but some of their peoples cut off Benn's ear and I think they ate it? Well I spoke to them and they led me out into this bizarre crooked city. I ended up in a strange abode. Here I saw paintings of some people whom I think were Dodds? The Lost Princes maybe? And I found Dark One in a bottle! Then Gruz and Smezel led me to a tower where I ran into some odd creatures. Shadowy I think, but not the Dodds as they said they weren't. I attacked them but escaped. Something odd about this place we were at. If you close your eyes and open them the scenery changes which is how I got back to Gruz and Smezel. I forgot, on my way I found some items."

Juergin walks over to his closet and removes a large sac. He opens it and spreads the contents on the bed to show Dorgio.

"Okay so I escaped this tower and eventually I hooked up with Benn but Gruz and Smezel went missing. We eventually went to this woods because it smelled like meat was cooking or smoking. There we ran into the crazy lunatic man! We killed him. Dark One found a bag with squeeling inside and there were Gruz and Smezel! Benn wasn't too happy to see them but I was.
I like Gruz and Smezel. Smezel can do magic, actually. Well. Oh yes, just before, these shadowy beings were with Benn and actually offered to return us home, but we declined for Jonas obviously. Now, just after this we ran into you all."

Juergin sits on the bed now, a little spent from telling his tale.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Everline, the Upper Terrace-

Everline is the first guest to arrive at breakfast. She finds Denys already seated at one of the small tables on the sunny terrace. A half-empty bottle of red wine sits before him on the tabletop. The flush in his broad face barely shows against his rose robe and burgundy scarf.

As she approaches, her host rises and bows.

''Mademoiselle Vaughan, I'm pleased to see you up and about after last night's action. I was quite concerned. Please, have a seat.''

A gray-haired manservant (Everline doesn't recognize the man) approaches and pulls out a chair for Everline.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Benn's Room
Adam wrote: He nods in satisfaction, folding the note and quickly sealing it with wax. He rings the bell for a servant and hands the parchment to them, with strict instructions that it be delivered immediately.

Finally, all of his tasks taken care of, Bennedict sits back and quietly smokes his pipe, one hand resting on the butt of his crossbow.

Charlotte and Jonas sleep soundly, even though the coming and going of the footman who takes Benn's note. Outside the bright square of the open window, wrens chirp in the mulberries. Benn hears cart wheel rumble and groan, and the image of his father pushing a heavy laden handcart comes vividly into his mind. The salt sea breeze changes for a moment to a smoky air, like the mines and foundries Benn recalls from his youth in Lamordia. Sniffing, Benn can be fairly sure he smells coal and hot iron...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Primeiro's Room-

Abigail takes her leave his a sweet smile on her face and a suggestive little swing in her hips.

Primeiro has written about three-quarters of his account when someone knocks at the door.

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro calls out, "Yes, who is it?" He does not rise from the chair, but he is prepared to put away his writing material.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham