Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Six

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio shakes his head to Denys in response to the question about the girl Maggie. "We did not disturb her rest. The Shadow, or something like it, attacked us before we could prepare the ritual, and we decided to strike at the beast without delay. Once we are putting it to its final rest, perhaps then there will be time to learn more of poor Maggie's fate if we need to. If we need to. Such rituals as those...I'd rather not use them if we don't have to."

When Primeiro mentions the painter Dorgio turns with interest. "Truly? So the paintings we saw in the abbey, they weren't just foul magic...this Dodds was once a man? So how did he come to rule over that Other-Place where Benn and Juergin were taken?"

Everline, do you remember a man by that name?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Hmmm... interesting. So Dodds is one your painter? Please, Primeiro, what more can you tell us about your childhood? Where was it?

Monsieur Denys, perhaps we could check your library again. Now that we have a name to look for, our chances of finding something useful increase manyfold. But first, we have to consecrate this place."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I can keep an eye on things here. Two brave men should be more than enough to keep away some scary shadows, right Jonas?" He flashes his son an encouraging smile.

"It's interesting that you may have met this man before, Primeiro. Any information you have could be critical. And, any description you can leave me of the creature's lair and these paintings will be useful for me generating a counter-strategy when I have a free moment." He smiles apologetically. "There is only so much time I can spend staring at words on a page copying things by rote without a break."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:Jürgen

Dark One replies- ''The three robed things in that weird city? Maybe they can help, but they said they were leaving and never coming back, didn’t they? I sure got that impression. We saw them leave through that magic portal. Besides, how would you get to that strange town? Smezel says the magic knife no longer works. We are stuck here on this island, it seems. Something about all the doors being shut. Looks like your choices are narrowing, boy.”
VIEW CONTENT:
"Okay. We must find the others and tell them I saw the Shadow beast down where Fredrik said it was. Let's go. I just hope I get a better reaction then the first with Primeiro and Eustace."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Everline spreads her arms in a helpless gesture. "Don' know the man from Adam, honest!"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jürgen-

The boy hikes up the hillside towards the chateau. Warm firelight pours from the western first floor windows, a sharp contrast to the heavy darkness of the overcast night. He hears music and laughter from within the great house.
Dark One cautions his fleshly brother- ''The company of humans is not for us, boy. Be wary. They may attack us if they see you."
The damp night wind blows across the boy’s face, knocking stray locks of wet hair into his eyes.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I Know Dark One, but I have to tell them of the shadow I saw, hee hee hee. If I go tomorrow they will be even more suspicious of me. If I come now with my tale of supplies and the beast it will look better."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dark One gives no reply.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jürgen will approach the chateau, keeping to the shadows and moving as quietly as possible. He will look by the windows to see if he will spot any of his party. If not he will decide what to do next.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Circling the ground floor and peeking in any lit windows, the boy sees none of his companions.

Many people have gathered in the dinning hall. He recognizes some servants and a couple of sailors from the Peryton, but there are also strangers present.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Dark One, I am going to have to go inside and find the others. Can you scout ahead for me and find them, please? I will wait here in the shadows."

He waits and when Dark One is gong, asks Gruz and Smezel "Do you know any secret way in the chateau here? That would be really helpful. By the way, I like your new magic clothes. They look good on you."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"Dark One, I am going to have to go inside and find the others. Can you scout ahead for me and find them, please? I will wait here in the shadows."

He waits and when Dark One is going, asks Gruz and Smezel "Do you know any secret way in the chateau here? That would be really helpful. By the way, I like your new magic clothes. They look good on you."

Dark One soon returns.

''I could not find them. "

Gruz and Smezel show the boy a way into the chateau via crawlspaces under the floor.

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Adam wrote:"It's interesting that you may have met this man before, Primeiro. Any information you have could be critical. And, any description you can leave me of the creature's lair and these paintings will be useful for me generating a counter-strategy when I have a free moment." He smiles apologetically. "There is only so much time I can spend staring at words on a page copying things by rote without a break."
Primeiro shakes his head and says, "About the man, there's not much more I remember, other than that he painted a portrait when I was a young boy. I didn't see him really after that, yet the creature that he's become certainly holds me in great disdain!" He then goes on to describe the creature's workshop, concluding with "...but Dorgio and Petrie probably got a much better look than I did. We were fighting for our lives by the time I got down there! And where in blazes is Petrie? And Thom? Still off fighting pirates? Seems odd..."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys says,

''No, no, they aren't fighting pirates. At least, I hope they aren't doing anything like that. I sent them to seek help on the nearest inhabited island. They left early this morning. Lucky thing I thought to do it when I did, before the mists settled in around this island. I don't think the passage out is safe at the moment..."

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Din' they go off in a rowboat ta find help?" Everline asks. "Seem ta remember someone sayin' such." She glances briefly at Sancerre.