Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff: Chapter Six

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro rounds the corner, sword in hand -- and he sees Juergin lying on his stomach in the hallway. The boy's clothing in the back has been ripped to shreds.

He looks around for other attackers and does not advance any closer. He stands about twenty feet away, his rapier remaining at the ready.

"Juergin...?!" he asks hesitantly as he sees Juergin suddenly jump up and begin to flee. "Were you attacked? Are you ... well again?" He looks around once more for other creatures. He reluctantly advances a couple of steps. His skin crawls in dread anticipation of seeing those teeth again....
Last edited by Ken of Ghastria on Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VIEW CONTENT:
"Dark One follow it!

"I am ok it is gone. But not m y teeth."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The barroom door swings open and Melmoth steps out with a blazing lantern raised in one hand and a truncheon gripped in the other. The light provides Primeiro with a clear view of Jürgen’s bloody maw and rows of sharp teeth.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The private bar -

The sharp eared among the party in the bar hear muffled screams outside, in the hallway.

Melmoth snatches a lantern from the wall and opens the door by shoving the panel with a club. He quickly steps out into the hall, wheeling sideways to make room for anyone rushing at his rear.

Anyone looking out into the hall beyond sees
VIEW CONTENT:
Primeiro standing near a short, bedraggled figure---Juergin. Looking closer, watchers notice that the boy casts no shadow. His deformed, red maw hangs open, with rows of sharklike teeth on display.
(Click if your PC looks out.)
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace was on his way to the ballroom when he hears someone scream. He looks back, but does not have a line to the hallway.

"Oh, what now? What else can be happening?"

He hesitates for a moment, trying to decide where his priorities lie: either making the place safer for the guests or checking what new problem has arrived.

He makes his decision based on the number of people he can affect and that there seems to be trouble and possibly an attacker on the active again. He goes to the ballroom, and tries to consecrate it as fast as he can manage without botching the ritual.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace starts working from the center of the room, trying to encompass the largest possible place away from walls and other objects. He then proceeds with the ritual and consecrates the room, drawing a circle with the silver dust and sparying holy water over the place to bless the area.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The boy sits up, and closes his mouth. He tries to feel if the beasty hairy thing actually harmed him or not, meaning broke his skin. He keeps his hands to his sides in an inoffensive manner. "I would like to see Dorgio please. I won't move or harm anyone. There was a hairy beast who I ran into and it ripped my shirt up."

He turns a little to show his ripped shirt.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The sight of the boy attempting to speak with his mouth closed is repellent to anyone who has seen the interior of the boy's mouth and thus knows why the thin lips are so queerly stretched and lumpy.

Charlotte and Denys have both looked out the doorway, Denys from the end of the bar and Charlotte peering round the door jamb.

Denys grunts in disgust, reaching for a dagger at his belt.

Charlotte gasps and dashes for the door to the dining room, Jonas pressed to her chest. The toddler begins to caterwaul...

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro notices the reaction of the others peering in from the ballroom. "Close the door if you're not coming in," he commands. "Perhaps, Monsieur Sancerre, if you will...? No need to disturb the other guests further." He turns to face Juergin. His expression is grim, his eyes narrowing in confusion and revulsion at the shark-toothed boy with no shadow.

"Juergin, WHAT. HAPPENED," His tone is pleading, almost desperate. "Answer me quickly. And honestly. First, what attacked you just now? Then, by Ezra's bones, what happened to your teeth?!?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict looks up from his work, hearing the sound of his son crying. "What happened?" he says, standing and moving to the door.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Everline is practically walking on Eustace's shadow, a wand in one hand, and her morningstar in the other. If anyone comes too close to him while he is casting, she glares daggers at them...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The ballroom-

This large room, lit by lanterns hanging from iron hooks along the yellow-papered walls, appears to be occupied only by Eustace and Everline.

Everline and Eustace hear raised voices and a young child crying very loudly. The sounds come from the adjacent dining hall, where most people at the chateau have gathered. The door to that room remains closed.

Eustace is just now casting his spell.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"jus' you keep goin', Eustace," Everline says in her most soothing tone of voice. "Y'ain't got nothin' ta fash yersel' about. I'm 'ere. Anyone tryin' it on wid you, they gotta go through me firs'... an' I'll make 'em bleed fer every bleedin' step they take. Jus' concentrate on the words, let the power flow... let it flow... flow..." Everline's words die away into a supportive whisper as she continues to walk in the Cleric's shadow, her weapons readied.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

The Hallway

Dorgio stops dead in his tracks when he sees Juergin, and his eyes widen in fear when he sees the rows on rows of teeth. He'd seen his share of strange mutations in his day, mostly calibans who seemed to be but unfortunate victims of fate. But to change so quickly and horrifically? He could count those on one hand. There was Alain, who'd grown extra fingers after he'd set Thom afire. There was Cirdan, who'd looked so drained an hollow in the hours before he'd died, who'd claimed a witch had corrupted him. And then there was another boy, twisted into a weasel-creature whose foulness reflected a black, irredeemable soul...

But still, Dorgio stands his ground, taking a place beside Primeiro. "Yes Juergin, what has befallen you?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:Primeiro notices the reaction of the others peering in from the ballroom. "Close the door if you're not coming in," he commands. "Perhaps, Monsieur Sancerre, if you will...? No need to disturb the other guests further." He turns to face Juergin. His expression is grim, his eyes narrowing in confusion and revulsion at the shark-toothed boy with no shadow.

"Juergin, WHAT. HAPPENED," His tone is pleading, almost desperate. "Answer me quickly. And honestly. First, what attacked you just now? Then, by Ezra's bones, what happened to your teeth?!?"
"Primeiro, Dark One has tried to follow the hairy beast who attacked me." Jürgen sighs. "I am just going to cut a piece of my shirt from mt pack to hide my mouth. Do not be alarmed. And please relax. I won't hurt anyone, ok?" He continues talking even as he has now a shirt in his hand and uses a dagger to cut it to a scarf size. Then puts it on and uses it like a mask.

"To answer the more important question, the beast. I went looking to help with my sailboat the poor people from the wrecked boat. I even almost got someone but a shark came and ate the poor man before my eyes... even taking my rope with it. I couldn't take my eyes off of how magnificent the shark was, though it was wrong. I failed to help the man ultimately. I came back, dejected, wanting to look for supplies to get away from here. I came into the chateau soaking wet. My jaw was aching me terribly and my mouth had the taste of seawater in it. I made it to two maids I think. They fled when they saw me and I had look into a reflexion to see my mouth. My teeth are really cool but scare people off."

The blond haired boy looks at the ground, now the scarf is around his neck and mouth, covering it. He now toys with a scrimshaw piece attached to his necklace. "I came in with Gruz and Smezel through a place they knew how to get inside. We came in near the kitchen I think. Anyways, I took some food and was heading back to my room when I turned the corner and the beast ran right into me.

It had a long shroud behind a beast scrunched shape or figure. It had a long snout and eyes that glow like embers in a fire, like red. It had a dog head..... Yes! I am not sure, but I think I may have seen those eyes before. When I remember I will tell you. Please, just don't hurt me. I want to know about my teeth more than anyone.... Maybe the sea has cursed me?"

He looks up and smiles, glad to see Dorgio! "Dorgio! I am glad to see you. I also have some good news. I saw where this shadow is. By the shipwreck. I know where it is. please, just try to, well, help me."