Thom and Petrie, log

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Thom and Petrie, log

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Thom looks at the prepared meal and then offers his hosts a gracious smile. If he can eat the strange foods of the Akiri people, sure he can survive eating Kelp!

"You are kind and gracious host, Uldolpho." Thom says.
''Thank you, good sir."

The kelp is stale, verging on rancid. Nothing else has any flavor at all. It doesn't taste bad-- it just has no taste. Judging from the meal as a whole, Ghastrian "cooking" apparently consists mainly of boiling with optional chopping. The only savor comes from little pinches of sea salt, which the host stingily doles out from the jars on the table--and even that is gritty and weak.
It takes Thom a minute to realize his beverage is curdled milk, maybe weeks old, almost cheese at this point. Like all the food besides the seaweed, it is utterly without taste.
Udolpho daintily wipes his mouth with a napkin.
‘’Pinch of salt in your milk?”
If the guests decline, he looks relieved.

The Ghastrians at the table all tuck in as if this meal is a real treat.

One of the teenage girls giggles and whispers to the other (not very quietly) ''Salt and kelp at supper- they must be real important men!"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"No thank you." Thom says decline the salt for the milk. He doesn't make any comment about the blandness of the food or the fact he is pretty much drinking tasteless cheese. He acts the part of a proper guest and eats the food, no matter how bland, as if it were a decent meal. While hoping Petrie does the same.

Thom avoids the topic about his business in Ghastria while eating and sticks with general small talk, and about day to day life.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Petrie stuffs himself with the food, paying the housewife emphatic compliments on her cooking.

'''Aye, 'tis true, I've never had kelp like this! Mm mm-hmmm."
If the Ghastrians realize that he’s fibbing, they show no sign. Udolpho’s wife looks pleasantly surprised, while Udolpho beams with pride.

The girls are too busy checking out Petrie’s ‘perfect manly form’ (as one of them whispers, giggling) to pay much attention to anything he actually says about the meal.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Thom entertains his host with a few stories about the places he has traveled to or other entertaining adventures of his misspent youth. Once dinner is done, hopefully there won't be any desert, Thom would be more than glad to discuss business with Udolpho.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Thom entertains his host with a few stories about the places he has traveled to or other entertaining adventures of his misspent youth. Once dinner is done, hopefully there won't be any desert, Thom would be more than glad to discuss business with Udolpho.
After dinner, Thom and Petrie are served the traditional Ghastrian desert beverage called 'tepid rainwater.'

Udolpho sends the females out of the room before settling in to discuss business.

''So then, gentlemen, what brings you to Ghastria?"

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"I think it would be best, if I started with where we sailed from." Thom says. "We came from the Island of Gauntcliff, do you know it?" He says.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"I think it would be best, if I started with where we sailed from." Thom says. "We came from the Island of Gauntcliff, do you know it?" He says.

Udolpho's pleasant manner drops away.

''That is an accursed place. Fevers, shipwrecks-- others may scoff, but I think that island is bad luck. If you came from there, are you connected with that mainlander fellow, Sunkar or Sinclair or what is it? He's built a house there."

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"So you know of it?" Thom says, his tone still pleasant. "You mean Sancerre? Our only connection was as guests to his resort. However unpleasant events called for us to leave." He says pausing for a moment.

"You know come to think of it, I don't believe accursed is the term I would use for the island. Perhaps possessed or haunted is more accurate term." He says. "I do hope this information doesn't change anything about our new friendship, that would be most disappointing." He says. "However that does bring us to why we are here, we have to get word out that Gauntcliff isn't a safe place to go."

"Do you know more about the island, or perhaps know some one who does?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"So you know of it?" Thom says, his tone still pleasant. "You mean Sancerre? Our only connection was as guests to his resort. However unpleasant events called for us to leave." He says pausing for a moment.

"You know come to think of it, I don't believe accursed is the term I would use for the island. Perhaps possessed or haunted is more accurate term." He says. "I do hope this information doesn't change anything about our new friendship, that would be most disappointing." He says. "However that does bring us to why we are here, we have to get word out that Gauntcliff isn't a safe place to go."

"Do you know more about the island, or perhaps know some one who does?"

''Oh? Haunted? My aunt Lucretia was one of the colonists. Not the recent attempt-- the earlier one. Poor woman died of fever. She was my favorite aunt."

He frowns.

''You might talk with Henry Sexton, the town clerk. He comes of common stock, as you may perceive by his name, but he's self-educated.''

Here he sniffs.

''Unlike most of his class, an honest man and not a hoarder."

Udolpho sips his water and adds-

''Henry was in charge of the muster rolls, outfitting, and so forth of the last expedition-- must have been about nine years ago. Or was it ten? In any event, he's the man to talk to about Gauntcliff. He's been there once, I think.. "

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"I see. Then I shall have to speak to him in morning." Thom says. "Might I inquire about the best way to get to capitol? Considering I am in Ghastria, I believe this to be a good opportunity to experience first hand, rather than just what I have read in books." He says.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"I see. Then I shall have to speak to him in morning." Thom says. "Might I inquire about the best way to get to capitol? Considering I am in Ghastria, I believe this to be a good opportunity to experience first hand, rather than just what I have read in books." He says.

''Um, well, just take the road north out of town. It's not a long walk. I can offer you a donkey."

He puffs his thin chest and thrusts his goateed chin just a little with that last remark.

'' The Marquis lives in his grand house hard by East Riding village. If you want the head of affairs, why, that would by Our Lordship."
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"I appreciate that, I don't think Petrie here would enjoy carrying all our things with us." He says, with a light chuckle.

"Oh, no need to disturb the Marquis. I am sure he is a very busy person."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"I appreciate that, I don't think Petrie here would enjoy carrying all our things with us." He says, with a light chuckle.

"Oh, no need to disturb the Marquis. I am sure he is a very busy person."

''Oh, but he probably will insist on seeing you. He is keen to meet foreign travellers. "

Udolpho leans foward.

''You know, I thought you might be a trader when you first showed up in your little sailboat."

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"Well if his Lordship does insist on meeting us, I would want to be rude. However we won't know until we arrive, now will we?" He says.

Thom smiles when Uldolpho calls a trader. "No sir, just a mild manner bookseller with a knack for beating pirates up." He says to him. "Though if you are interested in something new to read, I have a few books I would be happy to gift to our gracious host." He says.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:"Well if his Lordship does insist on meeting us, I would want to be rude. However we won't know until we arrive, now will we?" He says.

Thom smiles when Uldolpho calls a trader. "No sir, just a mild manner bookseller with a knack for beating pirates up." He says to him. "Though if you are interested in something new to read, I have a few books I would be happy to gift to our gracious host." He says.

''Oh, yes! That's very thoughtful of you. We seldom get new books, or even old books, here."

Udolpho whistles for his idiot lackey to clear the table.

''Are you well supplied? I can have my wife pack you some food."