Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter Seven

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff, Chapter Seven

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"He must die for good for all the misery he did to me and Benn and Jonas.ALl the people or kids he hurt. Even Miss Everline. Take the scepter, Dorgio. Gruz, attack the ghost!"

Jürgen attampts to attack the ghost.
Dorgio shoves the boy away from the ghost.

''NO!!"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Charlotte, holding Jonas, walks up to Benn and presses against his side.
“Is Dodds…euh…dead? He’s not coming back, is he? How can you make certain this is ended?”

Denys pats Primeiro on the back.
‘’Good job, son! You stood that like a man.” The entrepreneur glowers at Jürgen.
‘’You—that was very convenient arrival. Too convenient, I say. Humph. The others may forgive your treacherous ways, but I’m not so trusting or so quick to forget. You made some sort of deal with Dodds, didn’t you? Don’t deny it. Bah, and he couldn’t trust you. I can see that much. You’re like Jonathon Maytr—an enemy in disguise. Why the mask? Afraid we’ll all see your real face—you monster!”
The one-eyed creature piggy backing Jürgen whispers something in the boy’s ear.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Eustace intervenes between Denys and Juergin, still keeping an eye on Dodds. But soon he trusts Dorgio has Dodds covered.

"Let's not be hasty, Ms. Sancerre. I have seen many evil people and their trials and only a few that truly repented. But these cases exist! Let me talk to Juergin, alone if I must. I want to understand what came over him, and see if I can trust him. I can not force any of you to trust Juergin, but I do not want him to be lost from light for lack of help. Juergin, I'll take the sceptre then, if you talk to me later. Thank you!"

Eustace takes the sceptre and tries to understand how it works.

OOC:
Kno. religion 1d20+12 = 19
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3564680/

Kno. arcana 1d20+11 = 13
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3564683/
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ail wrote:Eustace intervenes between Denys and Juergin, still keeping an eye on Dodds. But soon he trusts Dorgio has Dodds covered.

"Let's not be hasty, Ms. Sancerre. I have seen many evil people and their trials and only a few that truly repented. But these cases exist! Let me talk to Juergin, alone if I must. I want to understand what came over him, and see if I can trust him. I can not force any of you to trust Juergin, but I do not want him to be lost from light for lack of help. Juergin, I'll take the sceptre then, if you talk to me later. Thank you!"

Eustace takes the sceptre and tries to understand how it works.

OOC:
Kno. religion 1d20+12 = 19
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3564680/

Kno. arcana 1d20+11 = 13
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3564683/

Denys shakes his head. ''Don't be foolish, monk! The boy is EVIL! I have seen his kind before. Dorgio knows. Benn knows. You don't know. Jonathon Maytr was like this one—he pretended to be our friend, but he was a monster, a wolf-in-sheep’s-clothing. We all trusted him and he betrayed us. He killed my daughter! Trusting this…this, night-thing...is a bad mistake. "

Looking over the scepter, you notice that part of it is splintered. The broken piece falls away in your hand. Assuming that the scepter is indeed magical-- your educated guess is that this damage must be repaired before the item will function again. A prayer of mending might do the trick. You won’t be able to manage that until tomorrow afternoon, though.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict rests his hand on Sancerre's shoulder, stepping to interpose himself between the man and the boy. "You've held that particular kernel of hate in your heart for too long, Denys, and I fear it has poisoned you," he looks gravely into the man's eyes. "I'm certain you don't recall it, but Dodds' methods of twisting us against each other is to make us think we are being given what we want to make us do his will. You took my son from me Denys, and threw him down a ravine. Before you did it, you looked me in the eyes and told me 'Blood for blood.' I think we both know what that meant. Let this go, and trust our judgement in this, I beg you."

This done, he turns and rounds on the boy. The hopeful mask he had worn is gone, replaced with a grim, expressionless mask. "As for you, you can keep telling us the false story of what happened to you, or you can fess up. I don't particularly care. The fact that you associate with those...creatures..." he gestures at the cyclopean creature on his back, "tells me what I need to know about you. But you helped me save my son from them, and you helped us battle Dodds, so I owe you a debt. I will vouch for you today, Juergin. I will even find you a place in my organization in Pont-au-Museau, if you wish it, but you need to know this: I will be watching you. If I see or even suspect anymore monstrous behavior in you, I will end you and I will not hesitate. This is not a threat, it is a promise."

Not bothering to wait for a response, he turns back to Dodds, standing next to Eustace and stroking his mustache thoughtfully.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote: "You have the scepter. We part ways now." Jürgen curses at Sancerre in Lamordian before departing. He whispers something to his one-eyed minion as he leaves the ballroom.
Anyone watching Jürgen closely sees 'Dark One', Norzak's shadow, following the boy.

Denys shakes off Benn's hand.
''Good riddance!"

Jürgen departs, closing the dining room door behind him.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Boy!" Everline suddenly hisses, eyes rolling like those of a fevered horse. Her throat heaves, her body trembles, and she barks out more words: "Juergen. Thank. You. Life."

Body straining, Everline turns to look at Dodds. She bares her teeth in a tiger's snarl and the hand holding the killing wand trembles... but does not rise yet. "You. Desire. Ending?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dodds gives no answer to Everline, nor any sign of awareness that anyone else in the room even exists. His ghostly form simply hangs in air, still and silent.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"...two in one..." Benn mutters, stroking his mustache again.

"We can't defeat him here," he finally says, "He is tied between this place and the shadow realm. I believe you said that his studio inside the ruined temple seems to be in the shadow? It is there that he can be undone. And...my source said something about 'the hands of a child can succeed where the might of men fails.' Whatever that means."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Everline squints, thoughts appearing to mill behind her black eyes. Finally, she barks out a few words: "In. No. Innocence! Spell component? Opposite of. Corruption."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys mumbles something like- ''I don't remember..." He gives Benn a dark look before stalking off to stare out the broken window.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Sancerre," Everline grates. "Pain. Madness. Dark that. Lurks in the. Heart. Too easy. To fall. Too easy."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rock wrote:"Sancerre," Everline grates. "Pain. Madness. Dark that. Lurks in the. Heart. Too easy. To fall. Too easy."

Sancerre ignores Everline.

Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"This dissension won't help us", Eustace says for the closest group while he overlooks Denys over Benn's shoulder.

"But we have to deal with Dodds first. I agree with Benn, it's to the abbey we must go. And despite all the effort that represented bringing his body here, I think we'll have to take it again. We just can't give Dodds enough time to recover. Everline... I'm so sorry for everything that has happened to you, but I hope we can mend you in the morning. If this scepter does anything good, we'll bring you back! But now, please, try to focus... what were you saying a while ago? What is it about Corruption? You know something that can help us?"

Then he turns to Benn as if a new thought had illuminated him

"Benn, what about that scroll, do you think it can help destroy Dodds for good?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Everline closes her eyes, and a mixed expression of concentration and pain crosses her face. "Innocence," she grates, pointing at Benn. "Counter corruption." She points at Dodds. "Break... chains? Ties that bind... to matter. Release to... go. Away. Innocence... part of spell... No. Part of... ritual."

Everline grunts and knuckles her own forehead, as if to rub the frown away. "What moves ghost is... force. Hand of... force. Can not cast."