Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

The Nightingale, Act I: A Town Square in Autumn

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

The third night, when my own loud scream
Had waked me from the fiendish dream,
O'ercome with sufferings strange and wild,
I wept as I had been a child

Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Noir Faineant

Re: The Nightingale, Act I

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Early autumn.

A sunny day, if a bit cold. A herald of frost, as the old people in town call it.

The market square of Ottery, a village in the Darkonian Mistlands.

Life is good here. Fallen leaves are red.

Please use this thread to introduce your characters, and their relation with one another.
If this is the first time the PCs meet, they meet now.
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Nightingale, Act I: A Town Square in Autumn

Post by Trike »

Nicodemus Bennett pulls his leather jacket a little closer around him as he leans against a wooden post at the edge of the square. He's rolled the last of his Hazlani tobacco. He lights it reverently with a small stick from a vendors fire. Then he draws in a deep breath of sweet smoke.

Ottery is a new town for him. He stands against the pole to get the lay of the land and watch the townsfolk for a time.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

The cold autumn day with the sun shining did little to quell the frost that seemed to be nipping at the world, as if no matter how long the sun shown the world would never be quite as warm as it should be. Ammanas had strolled into town, the symbol of his order painted on the front of his wooden shield that sat on his back. The scythe he used as a walking stick held small depictions of skulls as he knew most of the time this frightened locals. They should be afraid.... but not of him. Of what lay beyond the veil of death. He had come through this town by a chance 'shortcut' that had been told to him. He had thus far avoided bandit's and he was glad for his fortune. Seeing someone leaning against a post and smoking he moved to requisition them, as to where he was. If memory served correctly, this should be Ottery but this wouldn't have been the first time he had gotten lost.

"Excuse me Sir, would you happen to know what this town is called? I'm afraid I have not traveled these parts before," said Ammanas as he looked around at the town square.
Last edited by Zilfer on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

Nicodemus looked the fellow newcomer over passively before a smile crept on to his face. His dark eyes seemed to take in every detail.

"The town's called Ottery as near as I can tell," he said, tapping the ash from his tobacco on top of his cane. "But I've only recently arrived myself."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"Ah a fellow traveler like myself then? Where do you hail from? I'm from Nartok, myself. How rude of me of not to introduce myself," said Ammanas before bowing slightly to the man. "My name is Ammanas Nom, Cleric of the Eternal Order."

He tried to judge the man's reaction to that revelation hoping this didn't cause any hostility between them. A lot of people now-a-days could be weary of men of faith.

Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

"It is good to meet you," the smoking man replied. "My name is Nicodemus Bennett. I am from Mordent originally."

His tone was pleasant. There was no hint of judgement in his serene gaze as he returned a similar bow.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"It is very nice to meet you Nicodemus," said Ammanas as he looked around at the small quaint town. "May I ask what brings you to this town?" Ammanas was glad this stranger did not judge him by his faith, and instead by his attitude and merits.

"I have heard of Mordent, that is somewhere to the south yes? I am always curious to meet those who do not come from Darkon," said Ammanas. "They always seem to hold curious views of the world. Could I perhaps buy you a drink or two? I would enjoy the company over a few drinks."

Ammanas had already taken a liking to this friendly man. His open mindedness only invited companionship, and with Ammanas having traveled on his own through the forest he was glad he was finally be in town with civilization where he could communicate with other travelers.
Last edited by Zilfer on Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Boiros is walking by the streets of Ottery feeling really very tired.

"Next time I have to try to find a caravan that actually pass from the city I want to visit and not just by a village nearby...Now I had to come here on foot!" Says to himself.

Spotting the two men not far away from him he goes closer and asks:

"Hello, I'm new to the city, do you happen to know an inn to spend the night?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

A young woman wanders into the square. Unlike the others already gathered, she is not dressed or equipped for travelling, and seems to be a local. She is apprently heading across the square, but she glances curiously at the odd group and slows her pace, eyes widening slightly at the skull-covered scythe. Still her apparent curiosity is not stilled, and she adds a slight bend to her original route, as if to take her close enough to hear what they are saying.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

A figure emerges from a building, which appears to be the Inn of Ottery. Not very tall. As it passes closer it is apparent it is a gnome! A red haired, well a mohawk red hair gnome wearing only a cloak and pants with boots. A rather large weapon is strapped to his back. He doesn't seem intent on any particular destination and upon seeing the gathered group, curiosity gets the better of him. He walks extremely fast towards the gathered party and is soon amongst you.

"Curiosity killed the cat, but I was just wondering why all of you were gathered here in the center of town. Is there a party I wasn't invited to? Is there a battle soon to be engaged? Because can be very useful in a fight."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

With the corner of his eye Boiros spots the woman who seems local but the best of his attention gets the most weird gnome he has ever seen!

"This is city gets more intrested second by second...Now I understand why Father Oneil instisted to come here." Thinks the cleric and turning to the gnome says:

"Hello, this isn't a party as you called it. I just arrived to the city and was asking if someone knows an inn where I can spend the night. Do you happen to know any?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"Indeed, It seems this isn't as quite as a town as I first assumed!" exclaimed Ammanas as he observed the gnome. In his travels he was sure he hadn't come across quite a.... unique individual such as this gnome. "It seems most of us are at a loss to directions to the nearest Inn. I was just asking Nicodemus here if he knew of one, but he seems new to town as well. I myself am Ammanas, a traveler from Nartok and a Cleric of the ways of the Eternal Order."

"I am pleased to meet you all," said Ammanas with a smile bowing his head to the newcomers to the growing group. Then he regarded the gnomes question next. "I trust you can handle yourself well with a weapon like that, but I do pray you do not have to use it amongst this small village."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Xavril eyes Ammanas and listens to both he and what looks to be a cleric speak.

"Ammanas, trust me when I tell you. If I have a weapon," and he holds his Gnomish Hook hammer in both hands, twirling it quite expertly, eyes concentrated, "I know how to use it. This is not a decoration like some poser might have. I have it, I know how to use it."
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

Nicodemus' smile falters for a second, perhaps forgotten. His eyes dart quickly around the group as he takes them in head to toe. His gaze lowers to the gnome and his head cocks slightly. But then he is smiling again - warmly nodding to everyone in the group.

"And welcome all! I was about to grab a drink with this good man here....all are welcome, of course. That is, if anyone knows where such a drink could be found?"