The Nightingale, Act I: A Town Square in Autumn

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Nightingale, Act I: A Town Square in Autumn

Post by steveflam »

"I am staying with a friend at the Inn here." He looks at everyone, not in a rude way, just trying to gauge their capabilities, in a sense.

"We can go there. This way we will not be out in the open and suspect to mischief from ne'er dowells." He turns and heads for the Inn, not looking to see if anyone is following. The gnome, though small, walks fast. As a matter of fact, he is almost too fast for any of you!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Inn---

Varian putters about his small room, shared with the gnome. The skinny blonde youth stacks and unstacks his gear, inspects the corners of the room, and finally sits down on his low cot to examine his tools...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"I meant not to offend Sir gnome.... uh... May I inquire perchance to your name?" asked Ammanas while he struggled to keep up with the quick footed gnome. He after arriving at the inn had no doubts as to who would win in a race, and by far this gnome held many surprises. And a few good stories as well I might wager...
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Boiros doesn't speak Darkonese so he understands only 2 words of what the other man said...and these were Eternal Order... So far hasn't seen the shield with the Eternal's Order holy symbol since was at Ammanas' back but when he hears Ammanas presenting himself was like he was hit by a lighting. Now the scythe is making much more sense...

Great, an infidel...I was sure that sooner or later I would come across one of them just hoped not to be at my 1st day...Father Oneil has warned me about them. They are all about the incoming death of mankind and stuff like that. They have never learnt that the only true Godess is the Maiden...Boiros sizes Ammanas up for a second. I would have immagined these kind of clerics to be skinny and pale, not muscular and with a rather athletic body.

Getting his shield from his back so everyone can see the holy symbol of Ezra, Boiros pats the shield with his right hand and says really proudly in Mordentish:

"Boiros Brouillard, champion of the Maiden from Pont a Lucine! Glad to meet all of you." His glance remains a few more seconds to Ammanas as waiting his reaction. It is clear that the cleric feels uneasy at the presence of Ammanas.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The young woman watches with some amusement at their reaction to the gnome, and quietly follows him back into the inn. On arriving, she heads behind the bar, nodding to the man there and handing him the basket she was carrying. She waits until the group has gathered and then approaches them.

"Good evening gentles. May I get you anything?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

After the woman asks Xavril and his party if she can help them, Varian walks out of the back hall and comes to the table. He sits down near the gnome without a word to anyone present, but he does give Xavril a little nod.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ammanas as a quick aside to Boiros notes his shield is of a foreign church. One very popular throughout the lands he had heard, and awhile he admittedly didn't know much about this man's faith, the whole reading another's religion could corrupt your own... he could respect someone willing to stand up for their beliefs. No doubt the cleric was trying to gauge if there would be a problem between him. Not speaking the same language he simply smiled and brought his hand to his forehead until his fingers touched and then brought it forward in an open gesture. With a slight nod he followed into the Inn.

When the lass approached them asking them if they would need anything he thought for a moment. "I'd like to buy a round for all those here as a sign of good will. Do you perchance have any mead? Or anything of the sort? I assure you I have the coin," said Ammanas looking at the woman. "If you don't mind me asking, do you happen to know any of the local gossip around here? I find every where I go, someone always has unique point of views."

Upon seeing another gnome Ammanas nods. "Ah! Two of you, wonderful. I see there will never be a dull moment here," said Ammanas.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Boiros doesn't know the gesture but guess was a kind of greeting so he repeats it. Infidel or no he was the stranger at this land not Ammanas. He puts his shield to his back again and follows the others at the inn hoping to find someone that understand him. He recognizes the woman behind the bar and guessing she asked them what they want to drink he says in Mordentish:

"Do you have ale? And something to eat?"

When he sees Varian joining them he points himself and says: "Boiros, champion of the Maiden."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Boiros doesn't know the gesture but guess was a kind of greeting so he repeats it. Infidel or no he was the stranger at this land not Ammanas. He puts his shield to his back again and follows the others at the inn hoping to find someone that understand him. He recognizes the woman behind the bar and guessing she asked them what they want to drink he says in Mordentish:

"Do you have ale? And something to eat?"

When he sees Varian joining them he points himself and says: "Boiros, champion of the Maiden."
The skinny young human responds in accented but intelligible Mordentish-

"Hello. I'm Varian. I guess you've already met my gnomish friend."

"I'll take some anniseed tea, please, Caitlin. Or a half-pint of small beer if the tea's given out. Thank you."

He nods to Ammanas, ''And thank you for paying, sir."

He turns back to Boiros.

"So, you were saying that you are a champion of some kind? Who is this maiden?"

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

The relief Boiros feels when finally someone speaks his language disappeared when realizes that Varian didn't know the Maiden! Coming from a city where almost everyone or worship or at least knew his goddess he doesn't expect to find someone who doesn't. But this is also an opportunity to talk to this man about Ezra's beliefs and maybe he can worship her later.

"The Maiden or Ezra is the Lady of the Mists. Ezra abbandoned the other deities in order to offer succor to mortals. She protects whoever accepts her in their hearts. If you choose to worship her you will never be alone, you will be able to feel her presence at your every step and she will protect and give you prosperity."
Last edited by VAN on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:The relief Boiros feels when finally someone speaks his language disappeared when realizes that Varian didn't know the Maiden! Coming from a city where almost everyone or worship or at least knew his goddess he doesn't expect to find someone who doesn't. But this is also an opportunity to talk to this man about Ezra's beliefs and maybe he can worship her later.

"The Maiden or Ezra is the Lady of the Mists. Ezra abbandoned the other deities in order to offer succor to mortals. She protects whoever accepts her in their hearts. If you choose to worship her you will never be alone, you will be able to feel her presence at your every step and she will protect and give you prosperity."
''Oh, I see. You are some kind of, um, missionary? How long have you been in the kingdom? Just a few weeks or less, right?"

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes and no. I have been sent here to seek more information about the Maiden. A bishop of our church had a vision that I have to start here my quest to learn more about the Maiden. We use to spend much time by studying the Maiden's true nature. It's the only way to understand her lead better. I arrived to Martira Bay by ship last week and then took a caravan for a village nearby then came on foot here."

With a glance at the bar he asks Varian:

"Can you please order for me an ale and something to eat, I was travelling all day and I'm starving."
Last edited by VAN on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Sure, no problem."

Switching back to his native tongue, Varian orders some food and drink for the strange clergyman.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Thank you. I noticed you know the bartender, are you from this city? And if I'm not indiscreet do you worship any deity yourself?"
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:"Thank you. I noticed you know the bartender, are you from this city? And if I'm not indiscreet do you worship any deity yourself?"

Varian shrugs,
"I've been here in Otterly a little while. As for the gods-- well, we have many gods in this kingdom. I make offerings to them all, great and small, as seems right. And of course I give the dead their due.''