The Nightingale, Act II: A Village By Night

Online roleplaying at the Café
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

The Nightingale, Act II: A Village By Night

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

The horrifying event leaves the villages of Ottery in a state of incredulous stupor. In a state of trance.

And fear.

To outsiders, the reaction of the villagers might seem mystifying on its own behalf.

People remain calm and quiet. There's a short meeting on the town square, and two messengers are send to the nearest garrison,
to bring help. A priest, seasoned enough to perform exorcisms, because the village doesn't have one. Soldiers, becaue the local
militia is not used to fight magic.

The two messengers leave on horseback. You follow them with your eyes, as they leave Ottery towards the misty forest beyond.
Their exit has a certain finality.

You are politely asked to stay at the village tavern (simply, Ottary Tavern) as the mayor,
a particularly ugly man named Rawnos advises the villagers to lock their doors, and stay inside the buildings for the night.

Two patrols are assembled, you are not admitted.

Night comes, as you wait at the bar, the only other people with you, the tavernkeeper and his frightened family.

Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Le Noir Faineant

Re: The Nightingale, Act II: A Village By Night

Each of you two actions:

One about what you do over the evening - breaking the law, or antagonizing the villagers will end badly.

Another one about what you do while at the inn - breaking the law, or antagonizing the villagers will end badly.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ammanas is going to be going over stories taught to him in the Eternal order about signs or omens such as this one. He recieved quite a shock from that voice, and is convinced it is somehow connected to the undead trying to take back the living world. Along with this since riders were sent out to find someone to exorcise the grounds he will also mention he is a cleric of the Eternal Order to the Mayor and offer his assistance if he can asquade any of the fears of the towns folk with any of the warding he has experience with. If still asked to stay at the Inn, Ammanas will comply though he will then sit and ponder as if in deep thought. (Knowledge: Religion) At midnight he’ll pray for his spells, and unless the barkeep has any issues he’ll stay up until about 1 o clock before retiring.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Caitlin will spend a few minutes nervously mopping up the drinks order which she dropped when the voice echoed through. Returning with a refreshed order, she will hand them out with quiet polite apologies for the delay in Darkonian or Mordentish as appropriate.

She will listen to the meeting from the inn doorway while ensuring the guests are served as needed, and will go inside on the mayor's instructions, lighting lamps as dusk falls, and serving dinner as the time comes.

She then waits quietly with her aunt, Sara, and her little cousin while the night wears on, keeping the bar until all the guests retire.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Despite Boiros would be glad to go outside and investigate he will stay at the inn but he will be frustrated and will try ask Varian and Xvaril to help him talk to the few that remain at the inn if a similar scream has been heard before. He will take this as a sign as well, he has been sent to Ottery after a vision a bishop of his church had, that if he wants to find the answers of his questions he needs to go to Ottery. So right now the cleric believes that he is at the right place and the right time just he doesn't have the authority to investigate yet.

Since he doesn't have a room yet he will try to get one at the inn.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

One about what you do over the evening - breaking the law, or antagonizing the villagers will end badly.

Another one about what you do while at the inn - breaking the law, or antagonizing the villagers will end badly.
Varian seems to have either misunderstood or failed to hear Boiros' request for help with investigation.* Before the anchorite can detain him, Varian has slipped away.

(Gone to his room to check and re-pack his bags, and to pray on his knees)

At the next opportunity, Varian seeks out Xavril alone and whispers-

"Did you notice that the awful thing happened just after that foreign priest questioned our ways? I fear he has blasphemed and the Sleeping Ones have heard him...and now They are stirring... Maybe we should leave town now? We can leave tonight, if you'll risk it. Dangerous,maybe, but staying might be worse. "

He remains in the tavern/inn, waiting for the gnome's answer.

In the meantime, he seeks out Caitlin and asks if he can be of any help. An awkward smile, a slight pause in his speech-- but he's putting on a brave face for the young woman.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Yes I did notice. I am unknowledgeable in the ways of deities or religion, Varian. Perhaps, yes we should leave, but perhaps no. I think maybe we should stay and help this village. As well, maybe that strange cleric did not cause anything. He doesn't look malign to me, Varian. I think what happened was merely a coincidence to he, friend."

Xavril stays with Varian, but does nothing illegal and makes sure his friend stays put as well. He will help as much as he can, but his weapon never leaves his back, it is always close by.
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

Nicodemus had been enjoying the rush of conversation among the group. He'd finished his smoking and listened intently with a small smile. But then there had been the voice and the noise. For a time, he had trouble pushing the chill out of his soul.

He puts on a smile when he sees the nervous family and approaches Caitlin. "It appears I won't be going anywhere tonight. So, if you need any help with the cleaning up, please let me know."

Over the course of the night, he will help gather empty mugs and plates. If he has a chance he will tell polite jokes to the youngest or most nervous person present to keep the mood light. When he can do so subtly, he searches the open areas of the building so he is familiar with the area if there is trouble.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"Yes I did notice. I am unknowledgeable in the ways of deities or religion, Varian. Perhaps, yes we should leave, but perhaps no. I think maybe we should stay and help this village. As well, maybe that strange cleric did not cause anything. He doesn't look malign to me, Varian. I think what happened was merely a coincidence to he, friend."

Xavril stays with Varian, but does nothing illegal and makes sure his friend stays put as well. He will help as much as he can, but his weapon never leaves his back, it is always close by.
"If I decide to leave tonight, I'll let you know. Don't tell the others, at least not yet."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
tarlyn wrote:"Yes I did notice. I am unknowledgeable in the ways of deities or religion, Varian. Perhaps, yes we should leave, but perhaps no. I think maybe we should stay and help this village. As well, maybe that strange cleric did not cause anything. He doesn't look malign to me, Varian. I think what happened was merely a coincidence to he, friend."

"If I decide to leave tonight, I'll let you know. Don't tell the others, at least not yet."

"Okay. I will accompany you, of course. Just let it ride for now and see what comes of the evening, ok? I relish any battle, as you well know, but I believe this is something we should do, stay."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Caitlin puts up some resistance to the idea of guests doing work, but will accept the company with thanks. Nicodemus' and Varian's apparent calm seems to steady her nerves.

"what do you suppose that voice was? A ghost? It said it would remind us why we fear the dark... do you suppose it would be wise to keep lights burning? I can put lamps in the rooms..."
Le Noir Faineant

As Caitlin might confirm that an event such as this has not happened in the village ever before,
nor do the villagers have any specific traditions - or, for the moment, even theories - about the origin of this ghastly voice.

Since the Grand Conjunction, and the breaking of Il Aluk, the people of the Mistlands of Darkon have experienced horrors untold.
This new thing frightens them, but it does not scare them.

Ammanas' presentation to the mayor, and his offer of help is declined respectfully.
The reason might well be that the young cleric doesn't give a commanding enough impression.
As Ammanas walks the streets of the village later on, he can observe people looking at him with clear disdain.

The night grows cold on you, and several times, Caitlin's uncle has to give more wood to the fire.

Outside, silence.

It takes you some time until you realize that you're really not hearing anything from outside.

No wind, as all day, since the voice.
But also, no sounds from the stables.
From the other houses.
From the village militia.

Just nothing.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

While talking to Varian about what happened and the way the man evades to answer directly makes Boiros think that he is hiding something to him.

A strange hellish scream is heard, I ask a couple normal questions about it and Varian pretends to not understand me and at the first opportunity he disappears...Or he hides something or he doesn't trust me enough, which is normal since we met barely 1 hour ago... The point is that I shouldn't ask him again such questions, at least not for now, he will just do same thing."

Noticing that Nikodemus and Varian help Caitlin with the dishes he decides to help put in order the dining room. The cleric checks if the tavern keeper or his family are hurt. He keeps his hands open and at the side of his body trying to appear less threatening as possible. If one way or another understands that they are afraid of him he will just leave them in peace and will help cleaning the dining room, put the tables and the chairs back to their position, make sure there aren't any shards at the windows etc.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ammanas noticing the odd air of silence speaks aloud to himself in the corner of the Inn. It reminded him of the battlefield after one of the attacks from Falkovnia was repelled. He unconsciously scratched his scar.

“Do you hear that?” asked Ammanas in Drakonian before standing up to take a look out of the windows. “It’s like the gods themselves reached down and silenced the world.”

He listened carefully, while looking for anyone out around town. Most likely everyone was a sleep by now and he was just being paranoid. Though he was pretty sure the Mayor had sent people to patrol around town, why didn’t they hear this patrol every once in awhile? ‘Maybe they are just as frightened as everyone else and skipped out on duty…’ thought Ammanas trying to explain away the feeling eating away at the edge of him.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

kintire wrote:"what do you suppose that voice was? A ghost? It said it would remind us why we fear the dark... do you suppose it would be wise to keep lights burning? I can put lamps in the rooms..."
"If we take the words at face value, something wants to remind us why we fear the dark. It might be best to keep the light burning tonight. If the inn is shut up good and tight, you can relax. We can watch for trouble through the night."

Nicodemus continues in the same manner. Reassuring, but on the look-out for anything dangerous. He says the following so everyone within earshot can comfortably hear but as if he's talking to Caitlin.

"It would probably be best if no one leaves the inn before morning."