Riddles in the Dark...
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:47 pm
Aside from being the best chapter in the Hobbit, it's also a fun past time.
Am I the only one who likes dropping riddles on my players? I sure hope not. I've always tried to make them thematic, and I would love to hear some good Ravenloft-y ones.
The last time I broke them out in a game was against my wife. (This is an account of her first game, so please forgive any technical mistakes she made in her record-keeping. Part 22 is the game with the riddles.) I've included a couple of my favorites from that one, particularly the ones that are my original works.
1. A beating drum useless bereft
of a twisting river mired in flesh.
The two note song its beating sounds,
leads an endless dance around and around.
2. I have six sisters, don’t doubt that I do.
The oldest named so for all the books she perused.
The next in line was given the name of a fruit.
The third is easily frightened, a cowardly lass.
After her, the next loves to lay about in the grass.
The fifth suffers sadness that never shall pass.
The only sister younger than me,
Is frequently found with royal company.
Sometimes we all meet, after it’s rained.
So tell me my friend, can you guess my name?
3. Three of one and one of another,
four from a sister and one from a mother.
Take away two when you visit the Hells,
and tell me out loud what your plundering spells.
4. Heatless fireball.
Explosion frozen in time,
with rapier concealed.
5. I have a golden spear.
It flies to there from here.
I give a great shout
before laying you out
and you'll die of shock, not fear.
I didn't write these, but I like them anyway:
6. The man who made me will not use me.
The man who bought me doesn't want me.
The man to use me never saw me.
What am I?"
7. What is harder than diamonds,
higher than the sky,
eaten by the dead,
but if you eat it, you die?
Does anyone else have any good, Ravenloft appropriate riddles? I've got a couple of others, but I am at work right now and don't remember them verbatim. I'll post them later.
Am I the only one who likes dropping riddles on my players? I sure hope not. I've always tried to make them thematic, and I would love to hear some good Ravenloft-y ones.
The last time I broke them out in a game was against my wife. (This is an account of her first game, so please forgive any technical mistakes she made in her record-keeping. Part 22 is the game with the riddles.) I've included a couple of my favorites from that one, particularly the ones that are my original works.
1. A beating drum useless bereft
of a twisting river mired in flesh.
The two note song its beating sounds,
leads an endless dance around and around.
VIEW CONTENT:
The oldest named so for all the books she perused.
The next in line was given the name of a fruit.
The third is easily frightened, a cowardly lass.
After her, the next loves to lay about in the grass.
The fifth suffers sadness that never shall pass.
The only sister younger than me,
Is frequently found with royal company.
Sometimes we all meet, after it’s rained.
So tell me my friend, can you guess my name?
VIEW CONTENT:
four from a sister and one from a mother.
Take away two when you visit the Hells,
and tell me out loud what your plundering spells.
VIEW CONTENT:
Explosion frozen in time,
with rapier concealed.
VIEW CONTENT:
It flies to there from here.
I give a great shout
before laying you out
and you'll die of shock, not fear.
VIEW CONTENT:
6. The man who made me will not use me.
The man who bought me doesn't want me.
The man to use me never saw me.
What am I?"
VIEW CONTENT:
higher than the sky,
eaten by the dead,
but if you eat it, you die?
VIEW CONTENT: