Birthright: Tuornen, Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen, Chapter Two

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

"Then I shall fetch her presently, Sir Rory," says Roald, removing the coil of rope from his saddle and hanging it from his belt. "Reese, make sure the all the animals are ready to depart once I return with Lady Dominca. I don't expect this to take long."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Armored and ready for the noon sun, Devlin decides to grab a little food, so he goes to the messhall to eat with the men. If he sees Sir Rory and Roald, he will stop to chat.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Armored and ready for the noon sun, Devlin decides to grab a little food, so he goes to the messhall to eat with the men. If he sees Sir Rory and Roald, he will stop to chat.
He doesn't see Roald or Sir Rory, but he recognizes several of his guardsmen, knights, and servants in the messhall.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:"Then I shall fetch her presently, Sir Rory," says Roald, removing the coil of rope from his saddle and hanging it from his belt. "Reese, make sure the all the animals are ready to depart once I return with Lady Dominca. I don't expect this to take long."

Sir Rory wishes Roald the best and then leaves.

Reese hurries to carry out his boss's orders.

Finding Dominica is easy--she's right where Roald left her...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"Hail men! Eat up, for in a few hours we go back to give Alam hell!"
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Ah, Lady Dominica," says Roald as he enters the room. "I am pleased to inform you that I have been tasked with conveying you away from the unfortunate war that has erupted so suddenly around this fair city. You shall be returned home to Coeryanas, under my protection."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ROALD
Varrus the Ethical wrote:"Ah, Lady Dominica," says Roald as he enters the room. "I am pleased to inform you that I have been tasked with conveying you away from the unfortunate war that has erupted so suddenly around this fair city. You shall be returned home to Coeryanas, under my protection."

(OOC note, this response is based on PMs from Tarlyn, not DM fiat)

Dominica does not give even a word of protest, but takes her things and goes with Roald.

The mercenary notices his charge glancing down side halls and over her shoulder, as if searching for a way out-- or maybe expecting a messenger to arrive.
But no messenger arrives, and Dominica does not flee.

Roald finds horses and a slow, sure footed mule all ready for him in the courtyard.

Setting off in time to beat the end of the truce, he rides out a postern gate and down the long, mud-speckled road to the south, towards the Free City of Endier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEANWHILE, IN THE DUCAL PALACE AT CAER HAES-

"Yes, I understand, Sir Rory."

Sir Rory pats the page on the head in a grandfatherly way.

"Good lad, now run along and get some beer in your belly. Will give you courage, help you grow big and strong. Tell the brewer I said it was fine for you to have a man's portion. Double if you like. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DEVLIN, IN THE MESSHALL

JMaytr wrote:"Hail men! Eat up, for in a few hours we go back to give Alam hell!"

Cheers ring out over the hall.

A man in dusty travelling clothes tramps in and casts about as if looking for someone.

Seeing Devlin, he starts for the duke.

Devlin's four new-made knights rise, eyes wary and hands near the hilts of their swords.

The dusty man stops short of the duke's table and bows.

"Your Grace I bring tidings from the north."
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin nods and takes the man aside out of earshot of the others.

"Go ahead and report."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Devlin nods and takes the man aside out of earshot of the others.

"Go ahead and report."

''Your Grace, the armies of the north have marched from Ghonallison into Hildon, as ordered. I left last night. I had to hide from the Alamien patrols for part of this morning. I don't know how the count and his men have fared since crossing the border."
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"How fares Filbert, my fool? Any word of him? was he unharmed?"

The duke's worry for his best friend is clear in his face and voice.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:"How fares Filbert, my fool? Any word of him? was he unharmed?"

The duke's worry for his best friend is clear in his face and voice.

''Filbert?"

The man wipes dust from his dry, chapped lips.

"The half-man? He went south, looking for a boat, I think. I have no idea where he is now, Your Grace."

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"You have traveled hard. Thank you for your report. Rest for a while, feed yourself and take your need for the travel back north. I will send you before noon, before the cease fire ends."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DEVLIN, NEAR THE KITCHENS-
JMaytr wrote:"You have traveled hard. Thank you for your report. Rest for a while, feed yourself and take your need for the travel back north. I will send you before noon, before the cease fire ends."
''Thank you, Your Grace."

The courier bows again and departs.

Devlin observes a team of servants lugging cauldrons and jugs from the kitchen. The men don't stop to serve the contents of the containers to the soldiers present, but continue through a door to the courtyard.

A greasy smell hangs in the air where the men from the kitchen have passed.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ROALD, DOMINICA, REESE-- SOUTH OF THE CITY

Roald's battle-honed senses pick out the shallow, rapid breathing from the hedgerows, the shaking of branches, the stench of unwashed bodies.

And then two nasty-looking churls step onto the road a little distance ahead, hefting wood axes.

Reese hisses-

''Couple behind us, boss.''

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Roald draws his blade. "We're more trouble than you want. How about you hop back into those hedges and bother someone else?"

George R.R. Martin.