Changelings Part II: A Holiday In The Sun

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Changelings Part II: A Holiday In The Sun

Post by kintire »

A few weeks have gone by, and the house is calm and silent. No longer do the well worn furnishings seem anything other than homely, and nights spent there are quiet. The group has been paid their first monthly allowance, 1000 pieces of gold.

Perparations for the expedition they agreed to join are rapidly reaching their final stages. Rupert is hardly seen in his usual seat now, although he can be found about town, arranging, buying, hiring. He has, however, informed Gorn that a date has been set for the expedition's departure: Just two days time.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Changelings Part II: A Holiday In The Sun

Post by alhoon »

Seradon having spent the days studying, wandering in Paridon during the day, visiting libraries and helping Helfried learn Mordentish, receives the news that the expedition will head out with a mixture of dread and enthusiasm. He seemed both relieved to go on adventuring and finding ... who knows what but also somewhat afraid of what was to come.
The 1000 gold have been welcome although the implication that they were still in the payload of a powerful person with money, the magic means to abduct people and cursed sword is grave.

When Gorn brought them the news, Seradon listened without talking for a moment, then after standing he just said to the others "then it seems I'll be making some scrolls after all." He took a deep breath and let out a sigh, as if steadying himself while he turned to walk away. If someone was paying close attention, they would see him frowning for a moment.

As he took a step away he stopped, turned his head and asked in Mordentish: "Gorn, what can you tell me about the expedition, so I know what kind of scrolls and spells to prepare?"
Yet, even as he addressed the Calliban, something seemed to bother the young mage. He seemed distracted and lost in his thoughts as he passively listens to Gorn.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gorn spends most of his time with one of Ruperts men during this time. When he does find out about the expedition
he lets the others know. To Seradon "I don't know, but Imma gonna find out an git back ter ya, no problems."

Gorn heads for the pub, hoping to find Rupert or at least get word to him with his question.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine spends her time taking Darkonese lessons from Seradon. She thinks it might be handy and doesn't exclude the possibility to go to Darkon again. After all the man that was paying them and bought them the house was from Darkon, so maybe in future they would decide to pay him a visit and know him better. When she doesn't try to learn Darkonese Catherine goes outside and walk by the city, she tries to make some contacts of her own because she doesn't trust Rupert.

Catherine is thrilled that the expedition will be in 2 days, being inactive for so long isn't her style. So before Gorn leaves the house asks:

"Gorn, please ask Rupert if he knows more details about the expeditions and what supplies we need to have with us."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Rupert takes a long drink and sets his mug down on the table with a sigh.

"I didn't go into this business to work this hard..."

He looks across the table at Gorn.

"Well, apparently some big professor up at the university has discovered the location of a important historical ruin. Location's a deadly secret in case on of his colleagues beats him to it, but I hear the place is hot and dry. Ruin's reasonably intact so not much digging to do, but isolated so they want some muscle in case any dangerous animals have moved in."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gorn puffs in his cigar as he listens to Rupert. "Well, I aint knowin much about all that, but I knows Seradon might. I think he must know a lot a useless crud I dun' know but he does. Bein a smart man can be helpful I guess. Not always the brawn that kin help. All right, well, Imma go back n tell em whut yer done telled me. See yer in two days, buddy."

The caliban shakes Ruperts hand and returns to the house.

After everyone is together he relates his information.

"So, that's whut he telled me. Some hot place an some teacher person? Whut does yer think he means?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon explains to the others the preparations needed (lots of water, salted food etc) is such expeditions. He also tells them what kinds of creatures to his knowledge are in the arid climates and what can be found in the desert.
M"It seems interesting to me that the professor is afraid of competition. That's not too rare in academic society. Yet, if you combine desert plus ruins plus valuable research and findings it would be a good opportunity for any enemy of the professor, academic or not, to strike. I don't know how common those things are in Paridon society, but in Darkon, as far as wizards are concerned, there's a reason we stay in secluded places guarded by magical traps."
After a small pause he turns to Cat
"Catherine, speaking of magical traps, can you spot and disable traps? Mundane or magical? My powers could potentionally detect magical traps, if their magic isn't concealed well. I could also check the integrity of the ruins to see if it's about to fall on our heads and I bet the professor would be able to as well. But I have no idea how to spot hidden pits filled with spikes etc."
Turning to Helfried he said
F: "Did you get anything I said in Mordentish? Anyway, I believe we should try to locate someone that makes magic potions and buy one potion of healing or two between us. Long trecks in the wilderness tend to be cause for injury. If you agree, I'll accompany you. For every person that sells a magical healing potion there are 10 charlatans that sell colored sugar water."

As far as preparations go for himself, Seradon got lots of waterskins and he made sure his spellbook's case and his scroll cases were sand-tight applying wax etc. He went to the kitchen and got some extra salt for his own meals.
Waiting for Helfried to decide whether to accompany him in a search for genuine magical potions, he made a list of herbs he should buy or remedies to ask about, that would help treating heatstroke, dehydration, fatigue or insect bites.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I can locate and disable mundane traps but I'm not sure if I'm that skilled enough to find and disable a magical trap...but of course I will do my best. Also I suggest we take rope, grapping hooks and torches as long as antitoxin pills. As a ranger I do know that in desert are mosquitos and other animals that carry diseases."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Trying to hide his superiority attitude and failing, Seradon said smugly
M "Antitoxins don't help with disease Catherine, they help with poison..."
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine doesn't bother Seradon's tone, after all he was a man that has studied way more than her so his opinion is important to her.

"Still, we should get a few. And do you know what can we get versus disease Seradon?"
- W H A T ! ? !
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

alhoon wrote:F: "Did you get anything I said in Mordentish? Anyway, I believe we should try to locate someone that makes magic potions and buy one potion of healing or two between us. Long trecks in the wilderness tend to be cause for injury. If you agree, I'll accompany you. For every person that sells a magical healing potion there are 10 charlatans that sell colored sugar water."
Finding his Mordentish slightly awkward, Helfried replies in Falkovnian, "Yes, bits and pieces. Though something didn't make much sense. You were saying witches have need to hide from each other? The thought seems funny." He allows himself a slight smile at that before regaining discipline and continuing. "I suppose I could accompany you, though I wouldn't put much stock in anything one of your ilk is willing to part with for coin. Colored sugar water indeed. Or more often than not you get more than you asked for."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon gives a small frown
F: "The saying in Darkon is "the day you see magic, is the day you die". There's a reason it's called "arcane" Art. It's because it's ... secret. And I'm not just talking about forbidden lore here. More or less the less other spellcasters know about a given wizard's power and spells the longer his life tends to be. Take Azalin Rex for example; He's centuries old and nobody knows exactly what he can and cannot do. Most Darkonese considered him gone in the destruction of the capital, yet, he evidently had the power to again bring his powers to the defense of the realm.

The more powerful the wizard, the more paranoid he is about his secrets and spells and the more valuable the magical knowledge and items he has in his possession and residence.

Anyway, with the lesson about wizards and secretiveness over, let's go see if there's any potion to buy."
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

The party stocks up. Seradon locates a twisting back alley that contains a dark shop that sells potions claiming to be healing potions that at least do seem magical...

Down at the docks, the party's stocks are among a huge pile of crates being loaded steadily aboard the Foam Strider. Rupert seems to be in charge of the loading, although he does not seem to be engaging in any himself. He seems to be taking an oversight from a nearby ale shop. Gangs of men, and the very occasional Caliban, are hauling crate after crate into the hold, stoicly trudging through the steady drizzle
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Seradon isn't in particularly good mood because of the drizzle but still, his financial situation doesn't allow him to start grumbling and risk being kicked out. He tries to locate the professor and ask more about the place they're going... or just to engaged finally in some academic discussion about ancient architecture or geography or any of the topics Seradon dubbles in. It would be good to have a discussion with someone that knows more than him for once.

His familiar CoCo is secure in a large pouch in the wizard's belt and occasionally gets his head out to watch what's happening.
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Catherine tries to learn more about the rest of the team. She speaks to everyone trying to be friendly and open a casual conversation about relics, artifacts and what they might encounter there. If she has the opportunity asks what kind of preparation the rest have done, so if her and her companions are lacking something she would rush to get it. If Seradon mentions he bought a healing potion, Catherine will ask directions and go get one as well.
- W H A T ! ? !