Farewell to the Flesh and other RPGA Ravenloft Modules

Discussing all things Ravenloft
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Farewell to the Flesh and other RPGA Ravenloft Modules

Post by woodsdarkman »

This has likely been asked before but is their anything we can do to get the Ravenloft RPGA Modules to see the light of day on the internet. Can we email somebody, start a petition or letter writing campaign.
With no new material on the horizion (except the Sea of Sorrows Gaz, which I am looking forward to greatly) it seems a damn shame that these adventures have just been sitting somewhere collecting dust. Especially in this day and age when you can find just about anything on the internet including military secrets!
Come on, some of these adventures have been around for nearly 20 years and I got to say that Farewell to the Flesh sounds awesome and you know if John wrote it has got to be good. If all these adventures were put in a book or on a web site I would pay for it and I think a lot of other fans would too.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Farewell to the Flesh and other RPGA Ravenloft Modules

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

As far as I know, the copyrights are all owned by WotC. I suppose petitioning them couldn't hurt, but I would be surprised if it did any good. They haven't shown much willingness to put older stuff online, free or paid. And they even pulled the free older adventures that they used to have up (the Grand Conjunction series, I10, etc.). They have been reprinting collector editions of the older core rulebooks, but I'd be shocked to see any reprinted adventures, much less something that is so little known to begin with.

Anything could happen, and if there's a petition, I'll sign it. But I just can't see anything coming of it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by woodsdarkman »

Well if anybody does start a petition or email campaign or has any other ideas I am all for it. I really believe that this is a travesty that long needs to be fixed. Give me the email for whomever has got some clout at WotC and I will email them every day.
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Actually they may be part-own by their creators and the RPGA, I remember asking someone in charge of the RPGA years back as to why they had never published them, and was told something along those lines and it was just too difficult to get all the permissions, but I could have been misinformed.
I think the best person on the boards to ask about who owns what, is probably John Mangrum, as he has had one of his RPGA adventures published.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

wouldn't mind snagging a bunch of ravenloft modules myself.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I wrote it under standard work-for-hire, which means TSR/WotC owned it lock, stock, and barrel. Only once, thanks to Chris Nichols, did I actually see a physical copy.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Mangrum wrote:I wrote it under standard work-for-hire, which means TSR/WotC owned it lock, stock, and barrel. Only once, thanks to Chris Nichols, did I actually see a physical copy.
Probably looked a lot like this one... :wink:

I only wish I had retired sooner!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

That's just mean, Jim.... just mean..... :lol:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

What happens in the adventure? I don't know anything about it.
Lucien Doomdark
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lucien Doomdark »

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel. WotC have got some of their classic modules in their release schedule for 2013: the A and the S series are up for print release in June and March respectively, while the 1st Ed Unearthed Arcana is up for release in February?

There was also some discussion I believe about WizBro returning to e-book distribution but I haven't heard if that's come to anything. Honestly, as unlikely as it sounds I think it would probably be best if they looked at some form of PoD distribution through a second party such as DriveThruRPG/RPGNow (for example, White Wolf has handed over to them nigh completely with the occasional Kickstarter Deluxe edition). However, this is vague rumour/speculation on my part, and given that they already pulled their content from that site I see it being extremely unlikely that they'll return to it.

On a more tangible note, I'd also be interested in a potted summary of the adventure.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The gist of it is, Strahd is fed up with Carnival, can't attack it directly. He gets a werebat (the "leader" of the Night Swarm) to lure away two unhappy new troupers, with a promise of a cure for the Twisting (and lycanthropy), so that Tindal will come after them and he can attack Tindal (and the Blade Brothers) outside of Isolde's protection to weaken her and send a message to her not to hang out in Barovia. (The cure is a fake, in the form of an "angel" statue at the top of Mount Baratak, which turns out to be just a shrine Strahd built to Tatyana)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Additional to that, the adventure comes with six pregenerated player characters that include the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Don't we have summaries of this and some of the others somewhere here on the site?

What I'd still like to get my hands on are the 2 Ghastria RPGA modules by James Lowder. I even emailed the man himself (loong time ago when the SoS netbook started) but he didn't want to share them. I know of at least two other guys who have (one of) these...
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Let us know if we can help ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

? Huh?