Birthright Tuornen Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Birthright Tuornen Chapter 3

Post by VAN »

Really confused but same time worried about the words the actor said Filbert decides that is time to leave his hiding place since isn't sure anymore. He gets out and tries to follow unseen the skinny woman and the short man hoping to catch another phrase they say.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RANALD'S MANOR
Adam wrote:Cormac sees to the horses and getting Dietric set up in some temporary quarters, then travels to the Squire's room.

He walks in, not especially concerned with social graces, and slings his cloak over the nearest convenient piece of furniture.

"Aye, it's a fine mess we've walked our selves into, an' no mistakin'" Cormac grumbles. "I'll be glad to know what we can do about it, an how we can go get some help to make sure we don' all end up on the end of goblin spears."

Ranald answers-

'' I am loathe to hide from these foul brigands...''
As he speaks, the well-dressed squire runs the fingers of his right hand along the ornately carved mantlepiece above the cold fireplace, tracing the details.
''and yet I must think of the lives of the people under my protection. If they are masssacred or enslaved, I would be ashamed at my failure to protect them. I think that the men of fighting age should remain here to guard the manor. ''

He sits down in a big chair near the dead hearth.

''But there is more news. One of the late-coming refugees reports that he saw the goblin army enter Fox Run a short while ago. The folk who remain there have not been harmed yet, but some houses and shops have been looted. The goblins carry a man, or something like a man, bound to a stake. They appear to be making ready for some horrid spectacle, faggots piled and barrels of resin seized...a burning, perhaps. A sacrifice? "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THEATRE
VAN wrote:Really confused but same time worried about the words the actor said Filbert decides that is time to leave his hiding place since isn't sure anymore. He gets out and tries to follow unseen the skinny woman and the short man hoping to catch another phrase they say.

A muffled roar sounds from the direction of the inland gate.

Filbert follows the pair of actors out of the theatre and into the street, but the suspicious couple soon split up, melting into the agitated crowd of citizens.A ride gallops past Filbert in the direction of the palace, waving a flaming torch.

Over the tumult of the crowd, halfling's ears pick out the distant ring of steel, and the screams of men...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Adam wrote:Cormac sees to the horses and getting Dietric set up in some temporary quarters, then travels to the Squire's room.

He walks in, not especially concerned with social graces, and slings his cloak over the nearest convenient piece of furniture.

"Aye, it's a fine mess we've walked our selves into, an' no mistakin'" Cormac grumbles. "I'll be glad to know what we can do about it, an how we can go get some help to make sure we don' all end up on the end of goblin spears."
Gunnar after checking the sentries and there positioning goes to the parlor bringing the fellow that spotted goblin advance from the bluff with to help take off his armor when he done speaking with the esquire . Leaving him outside the door to wait while he speaks to the esquire thinking this should not take long . He takes a seat gingerly so as not to break any any of the esquires chairs with his great bulk of weight and armor . "For one we need to get word to Haes that a goblin army has invaded here and needs to be driven out asap . We need some one that is stealthy and with an iron will to not panic at the sign of even a large contingent of goblin so as that person can avoid them at all cost . While we here try to be as big pain in the ass to them as possible, but also not reveal our position to them in the process ."Gunnar say in reply to Cormac's statement .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE HUNTSMAN, THE TOWN SQUARE

The town square of Fox Run was grassy and green when the goblins arrived, but now the army has befouled it with wolf dung and trampled down the grass. Even the flowers have been plucked out of their plank-lined beds along the edges of the square. Two giggling little goblins caper through the square, the earliest blooms of spring woven round their pointed skulls like children’s make-believe crowns.
While most of the invading army seems busy looting the houses and shops or the abandoned town (if there are humans left here this night, they do not venture out of doors)and some lounge about the square laughing at the antics of the two diminutive jesters and swilling stolen beer, for others work remains. A large gang of goblins sets to work digging a pit in the center of the square, bigger goblins driving the smaller ones with whips and curses.
While the pit is being excavated, the bearers lay the stake down on the ground with the Huntsman turned up to face the moonless, starlight sky. A little goblin riding piggy-back on one of the huge brutes tugs on the noose tied around the captive’s neck, choking him whenever he tries to speak. Goblins parade by the Huntsman, spitting on him, pinching him, mocking him with rude gestures—one long-nosed little creeper even tries to cut off one of the captive’s ears before one of the burly watchers sends the would-be mutilator reeling away with a cuff to the head. Several nasty little brutes get right in his face and shriek 'BREE YARK!''

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

War Council, Castle Haes

Duke Devlin, along with Renn, Filbert, Fhylie and her warrior monks, and Braedonnal, sit or stand around a wooden table covered with maps.

"I have decided on a course of action for tonight's strike. Captain Ghonallison, Breadonnal and Fhylie, your job is to destroy their supplies and sink their ships. The banners for the Sorelies and Deserain family along with Alam's own are out on that field. We need to capture as many of their nobles, or high ranking ones that we can, and get them behind dungeon walls. While you destroy their supplies and sink their ships, Filbert and I will kidnap who we can. With the generals captured, the mercenaries may falter. When the ships and supplies go ablaze, we will use the diversion to strike. The destruction will bring out fighters. At that point I want You, Captain Ghonallison to fall back with Hotspur and Fhylie. I want you all to retreat north to Hildon and join the armies there. Braedonnal when you reach Hildon, take up command of the armies. Captain, your family's knights fight Alam on his own ground and your father rides with them. Because of that I want you to take your father's place as count in Ghonallison until he returns.

"Filbert, once the supplies are destroyed we need to make our move; it must be swift. To that end we need the best intelligence on the camp as we can. We will scout ahead and locate the high ranked nobles and generals to ready our move. There is the Alam ducal tent; I doubt that old codger is here himself. Though if he is...well, we could end the war."

Duke of Tuornen, Devlin Flaertes stands and checks his armor.

"Let's be off, the night is here and it's time we took the war to Carilon Alam."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RANALD'S MANOR
Lord Skybolt wrote:

Gunnar after checking the sentries and there positioning goes to the parlor bringing the fellow that spotted goblin advance from the bluff with to help take off his armor when he done speaking with the esquire . Leaving him outside the door to wait while he speaks to the esquire thinking this should not take long . He takes a seat gingerly so as not to break any any of the esquires chairs with his great bulk of weight and armor . "For one we need to get word to Haes that a goblin army has invaded here and needs to be driven out asap . We need some one that is stealthy and with an iron will to not panic at the sign of even a large contingent of goblin so as that person can avoid them at all cost . While we here try to be as big pain in the ass to them as possible, but also not reveal our position to them in the process ."Gunnar say in reply to Cormac's statement .

Ranald scratches his bushy sideburns. "Yes, that seems wise."

A woman steps into the candle-lit room, face lowered and twisting a shawl in her hands.

The esquire turns to her and asks-''What is it, woman? You weren't invited here. Mind your station."

The young woman looks up, blue eyes wide and damp, locks of long blonde hair plastered to her face with tears, and blurts out-
"Forgive me, 'squire Ranald, but my son, Matton, the gobbers have grabbed him-‘’
Ranald curses. “Azrai’s Breath! Why did he go back to town? Or are you saying they are HERE?”
He clutches the dagger at his belt, drawing it out half an inch.

The woman, sobbing, shakes her head. “’No Squire. He snuck back into town, to fetch his Da’s tools. He must have heard my husband saying how ‘twas a black shame we left those behind, and how hard it would be on us for that. Matton was trying to help. When we saw he was gone, we went after him. And now his Da is dead, the wolfen got him.”
Racked by sobs, she cannot speak for over a minute. When she recovers, she tells Ranald and his guests, “ But the gobbers took Matton—I saw it from the bushes where I was hiding. Please, somebody rescue him!”

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:War Council, Castle Haes

Duke Devlin, along with Renn, Filbert, Fhylie and her warrior monks, and Braedonnal, sit or stand around a wooden table covered with maps.

"I have decided on a course of action for tonight's strike. Captain Ghonallison, Breadonnal and Fhylie, your job is to destroy their supplies and sink their ships. The banners for the Sorelies and Deserain family along with Alam's own are out on that field. We need to capture as many of their nobles, or high ranking ones that we can, and get them behind dungeon walls. While you destroy their supplies and sink their ships, Filbert and I will kidnap who we can. With the generals captured, the mercenaries may falter. When the ships and supplies go ablaze, we will use the diversion to strike. The destruction will bring out fighters. At that point I want You, Captain Ghonallison to fall back with Hotspur and Fhylie. I want you all to retreat north to Hildon and join the armies there. Braedonnal when you reach Hildon, take up command of the armies. Captain, your family's knights fight Alam on his own ground and your father rides with them. Because of that I want you to take your father's place as count in Ghonallison until he returns.

"Filbert, once the supplies are destroyed we need to make our move; it must be swift. To that end we need the best intelligence on the camp as we can. We will scout ahead and locate the high ranked nobles and generals to ready our move. There is the Alam ducal tent; I doubt that old codger is here himself. Though if he is...well, we could end the war."

Duke of Tuornen, Devlin Flaertes stands and checks his armor.

"Let's be off, the night is here and it's time we took the war to Carilon Alam."

Fhylie prays for the Thunder God, Haelyn's Son, to bless the endeavor.

Braedonnal just grins like a madman and starts out the door...

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

A dark look settles onto Cormac's features.

"I suppose tha' clears up the mystery o' who they're plannin' on burnin'," he grumbles.

He debates for a long while, chewing thoughtfully at his tobacco. "Might be yer son's dead a'ready, yeh know that, yeah? Gobs ain't exactly known fer their kindness te prisoners. But..." he trails off, turning to the Duke, "This 'display' could be a big deal fer morale, which has got to be perilous low a'ready. Could be worth intervenin' jes to ruin the blighters' little show an' let yer people know their liege lord is still fightin' fer 'em."

He nods. "I've got some skill as a woodsman. I could lead a raid like this, wi' yer permission o' course." Cormac grins, sardonically.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert thinks for a moment the audacious plan.

"Excuse me Your Grace I'm not good in tactics or strategy, but this plan is a really risky one. First of all we don't know how many people they have as guards and where are their watching spots. Second, even if we manage to sneak in and get to the nobble's or to a general's tent we need to take out the guards that will obviously be there without anyone see us. The most difficult part is to actually manage to kidnap someone without been seen and take him to the palace. I know that your plan will be great if works out but I think you can see how difficult is to get all of that done... I would suggest tonight just scout their camp, spot the posts of the guards, come back, make a map of the points that are easier to go in and then tomorrow night try to sneak in and just steal the supplies or sink the ships. To do the kidnap we need to have a great backup ready to assist us at the moment we go out or to invade the camp if they spot us and we need help to escape. Most important is the conseguences if we fail... You do realize that if you are captured, the war will be over. Have as prisoner the Duke means they can seal any deal they want... But as always if you think that you want to go ahead with this plan you can count on me. I will do my best to help as always Your Grace."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin considers Filbert's words.

"You may be correct, but tonight is the night. I will not stand another morning seeing women and children hanged by this fiend. If that continues, than the war is already lost. If you think it a huge risk, I suggest focusing on the Dererain and Sorelies tents. During our initial scouting, we must also mark an escape route for ourselves back if things turn sour.

"Braedonnal, Fhylie, destroy the ships after you've destroyed their supplies and only IF you feel you can successfully.

"Baron Deserain ranks higher than Baron Sorelies and may have less defense. We will focus on just those two families. Yes, if I am taken the war may be lost," Devlin trails off, thinking about the sell sword that resembeled his father. "But Tuornen will live on. Braedonnal will make sure of that. Come, lets capture ourselves some Alamiens!"
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

CAER HAES

"Yes, Your Grace." The word of his father's army is news to Rennault. He feels a slight pang at the thought of being pulled away from his duties in Haes. But to rule...had that not always been the goal? Even if for a short time, it could be an opportunity...

"I'll be leaving my personal guards here. We need every man we can get on the walls. Sergeant Gilly's a good man--you can trust him to mind the Watch while I'm gone."

He then turns to regard Hotspur and the priestess. Though he cares little for either of them, he finds himself respecting the eagerness with which Hotspur sets off to the task.

"Right then," he says as he checks his bow, arrows, and blades. "Death or glory--let's be off to it."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert nods as he understand Devlin's rush to go tonight and not waste more time.

"Very well Your Grace it sounds like a plan."
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RANALD'S MANOR
Adam wrote:A dark look settles onto Cormac's features.

"I suppose tha' clears up the mystery o' who they're plannin' on burnin'," he grumbles.

He debates for a long while, chewing thoughtfully at his tobacco. "Might be yer son's dead a'ready, yeh know that, yeah? Gobs ain't exactly known fer their kindness te prisoners. But..." he trails off, turning to the Duke, "This 'display' could be a big deal fer morale, which has got to be perilous low a'ready. Could be worth intervenin' jes to ruin the blighters' little show an' let yer people know their liege lord is still fightin' fer 'em."

He nods. "I've got some skill as a woodsman. I could lead a raid like this, wi' yer permission o' course." Cormac grins, sardonically.

"Indeed..."

The esquire strokes smooth his ruffled sideburns with a downward swipe of both hands.

"Take your man, and, ah, the two poachers. I will pray to Haelyn that he shields you. Do not allow the goblins to capture you, whatever happens. I fear that under tor..."

He stops and looks at the woman, who still stands in the room.

"Woman-- There are other children here, go help them."

She gulps, nods, and departs.

"Good girl'' mumbles Ranald."Now, as I was saying, don't let the buggers capture you. I fear they might torture you to learn of my manor's location and of all the people I have given refuge. They might already be doing that to the poor boy."
He removes his fine coat of bear hide and drapes it over the chair behind him. "Go. If you do not return by morning, I will assume that you are dead or worse, and..." A long sigh-- ‘I will do as I must to protect this place and the people here."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE NIGHT RAID OUTSIDE THE WALLS OF HAES
VAN wrote:Filbert nods as he understand Devlin's rush to go tonight and not waste more time.

"Very well Your Grace it sounds like a plan."

With Filbert in the lead, the small party sneaks out a postern gate and makes its way towards the Alamien encampment in Riverside...

Before the party has gone very far, indeed, before it even splits up, a lantern shines full on the party from atop a blasted mound of masonry and broken beams.

''Halt- who goes---IT'S THE DUKE, THE DUKE OF TUORNEN!"

Brigands with naked swords and heavy cudgels leap down from their perches in the ruins or rush out from cover, coming rIght at the party!