Birthright Tuornen Chapter 3

Online roleplaying at the Café
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Tuornen Chapter 3

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:ENDIER

Roald loses a few coppers, but makes some new freinds. His two fellow gamblers turn out to be boatmen, off duty and out for a good time. They suggest a trip to a nearby whorehouse.

"To put my money to good use, I see?" Roald chuckles. "No, I'm think I'll remain here, for the night, my friends. But seeing as how my money is going to help finance your little 'adventure', perhaps I could ask you two fine men a favor? You wouldn't happen to know if there are any boats that may be headed in Coeranys' direction that would be willing to hire a fighting man?"
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:ENDIER

Roald loses a few coppers, but makes some new freinds. His two fellow gamblers turn out to be boatmen, off duty and out for a good time. They suggest a trip to a nearby whorehouse.

"To put my money to good use, I see?" Roald chuckles. "No, I'm think I'll remain here, for the night, my friends. But seeing as how my money is going to help finance your little 'adventure', perhaps I could ask you two fine men a favor? You wouldn't happen to know if there are any boats that may be headed in Coeranys' direction that would be willing to hire a fighting man?"

One of them replies-''Not that I know, freind. But we will come back in the morning after we've asked around for you. Let you know if we learned anything."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac pulls an arrow from his quiver as he crawls to the top of the bluff, hiding behind some scrub.

"Time fer a bit o' mischief," Cormac mutters, "Pick a few of em off then fall back to the camp."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac pulls an arrow from his quiver as he crawls to the top of the bluff, hiding behind some scrub.

"Time fer a bit o' mischief," Cormac mutters, "Pick a few of em off then fall back to the camp."

Dietric hides nearby, watching and waiting with a spear clutched in his hands...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Perhaps Devlin and Renn are too distracted to watch the play with close attention to detail?

Are they paying more attention to what's going on on the stage, or looking and listening elsewhere, for other things?
Devlin watches for signs of ambush. he's acting the part of Renn's guard. He cares little for the play, only the toymaker.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CORMAC-

Cormac’s two swift shots falls short of the goblin scouts who appear up the road. Dozens more goblins hove in view, tramping through a sunset-red cloud of rising dust. The goblins don’t panic when the arrows fall, but simply fan out. The front ranks raise shields. They continue to march forward, now singing a rhythmic war song in raspy voices. Howls from further back in the formation; ten great gray wolves nose though the ranks, dashing ahead, sniffing the air like hounds on the hunt.
Dietric grabs Cormac’s arm. “We’d better get the hell out of here’, he hisses, ‘’before the find shifts and their wargs scent us. I’ve seen one of those monsters rip a man to pieces like a weasel killing a chicken.”

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE WORLD’S STAGE THEATRE

Devlin is briefly distracted by a pretty young lady with a fashionably low cut bodice (Avanil style), but manages to stay on the lookout for assassins.

Later, after the sun has fully set (and well after the jealous Khinasi shipmaster Orlando has strangled to death his lovely young wife, Dominica, at the instigation of the wicked Jacobus) Renn and Devlin notice a slim figure swaddled in a fine cloak of deep blue velvet and wearing a curious hanging mask of pale yellow cloth just behind them in the gallery. This person surely was not there just a moment ago. The masked one leans forward and whispers in Renn’s ear with a voice as smooth and deathly as a silken noose,
VIEW CONTENT:
"Let the red dawn surmise
What we shall do,
When this blue starlight dies
And all is through".
Before Renn can puzzle out the meaning of the weird poetry, the stranger lets a slip of folded yellow parchment slips from the one of his ivory-hued gloves.

Applause breaks out like thunder as the play, half-forgotten now by Renn, ends on the stage below. Gentry rise in a standing ovation as the masked messenger leans back. In a moment, Renn has lost sight of the stranger.

Neither Renn nor Devlin find any sign of the mystery figure, despite their best efforts in a search of the gallery as the gentlefolk begin to descend and leave the theater.

Upon examining the paper by lantern light, Renn sees a sequence of numbers and letters written in unfamiliar, blocky but precise handwriting. A weird squiggly symbol in black ink marks the bottom of the small page. If he stares it too long; the arms seem to writhe, the sigil changing just slightly. The bottom of the page is torn as if it came from a book.

BEHIND STAGE, FILBERT

Filbert doesn’t see the yellow-masked man again. But he does overhear some queer conversation among two of the actors as the curtain draw shut and the cast fall back into the rear of the house to shed personae and costumes. A skinny woman and a short man, both half-out of baroque costumes walk arm in arm past Filbert’s hiding spot.
He hears the man whisper to the woman in a calm, yet insistent way,
VIEW CONTENT:
“Tell me, have you seen the yellow sign?”
Something of the smooth delivery reminds Filbert of rehearsed lines, but then again, the speaker is an actor…
In a moment, the pair is gone, passed through a doorway that leads out into the night, and now stagehands are moving to clean the rear area. Any moment they may uncover Filbert’s hiding place, unless he slips under the stage and out in a hurry, or pulls some other ruse.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin watches the play with amusement.

"Hi there, how you doin'?" Devlin whispers to the Alamien woman as the curtain draws to a close.

Devlin then waits for Renn and Filbert to return.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Devlin watches the play with amusement.

"Hi there, how you doin'?" Devlin whispers to the Alamien woman as the curtain draws to a close.

Devlin then waits for Renn and Filbert to return.

The pretty young woman turns at the sound of Devlin's voice, smiling. But her grin turns to a slight frown as she takes in the details of Devlin's helmet and uniform. She sniffs and tilts her chin up, which action sends a faint tremor through her racked-up breasts.

Turning away from the young fellow dressed as a common guardsman, the gentle lady departs without a word, hanging on the arm of a fat, well-dressed lordling with gray, thinning locks and a stiff, gouty walk.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE HUNTSMAN

Motion, swaying like a mast of a boat caught out on wind-tossed seas. His eyes flicker open, blink tight shut at the glare of fire. Pain floods his battered, torn body. Bonds bite into his wrists and ankles, and when his head droops forward, he chokes on a noose wrapped around his throat. Hard bark or maybe rough-hewn wood scrapes the whole length of his back and legs. With his arms tied down firmly at his sides, fastened top the wooden stake that holds him upright, he cannot fight or move his hands to conjure power.

Opening his eyes again, the Huntsman looks down through the dusty night air from at least a dozen feet above the ground, to behold a moving mass of spear points and goblin heads, more than a few in pot helms. Boots tramp ahead of him, boots tramp behind him. Hundreds of tramping feet! Rough voices like files cutting stone bawl out a malevolent battle chant. The goblins carrying the stake to which he is fastened stand much taller and broader than most of the enemy, like black bears stuffed into goblin skins. As his eyes adjust to the darkness he spots objects mounted on some of the spear points, things like misshapen pallid squashes—no, not vegetables but severed heads; tonsured in the Cuireacenite fashion.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac nods and slides back, taking a mental count of how many he could see of the enemy.

"Best be gettin' back to the defenses," he mutters.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

WORLD'S STAGE

Theatre never held much sway in Ghonallison, so Renn doesn't quite know what to make of the play. Mostly he scans for signs of the yellow mask. But he find himself strangely admiring Jacobus' cleverness while at the same time disapproving how how the villain had let blinded himself by love, a fatal flaw if ever there was one. And Renn can't help but think of the ire he himself must incur should he be advanced above his elders in Haes.

When he ees the masked figure, he is startled, unused to somebody being able to sneak up on him. He wonders at the words' meaning. He curses as the figure slips out of view.

He looks at the note. Some kind of cipher? The symbol unnerves him--was this from a tome of sorcerery?

Whatever the case, he wouldn't be solving the riddle now. Instead, he grabs Delvin's arm a commander reigning in one of his subordinates. "That's enough mingling with the nobilities, Watchman," he tells Devlin. "We've got a city to look after." He flashes to note to Devlin to signal that they'd got what they cae for.

"Now let's find the short one."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

As Gunnar waits with Ronald and the rest of the lumber jacks discussing the best ways to use their improvised log traps to kill as of many of vanguard of the goblin army as they can before retreating to an ambush site . He thinks to himself:I hope Cormac can give me good count on there vanguard and army sizes that is a little more precise than I got from the boy who seen the goblins from a bluff .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CORMAC AND GUNNAR

Under Gunnar's trained eye, the lumbermen and other volunteers have set up a number of traps along the trail leading into the camp, and along the way to the town of Fox Run.

Not long after nightfall, Cormac and Dietric return to camp and report the numbers and the further advance of the goblin vangaurd.

The goblins blunder right into the first deadfall of logs, and numerous goblins are crushed or driven off while the trap-setters escape without casualties. But the logfalls do not stop the enemy advance; soon goblins swarm the hills with huge wolves serving as bloodhounds, hunting the men of Ghonallison...

... Fighting only when they can strike from ambush, setting off log traps and falling back, the lumbermen and other defenders withdraw under the squire's nominal leadership (Gunnar does most of the work of directing men). Only a few men have been lost.

As the main force comes within the field of light cast by bonfires burning in the lumber camp , Cormac and Gunnar see more goblins than they could ever shoot or cut down by themselves-- what looks like hundreds of the creatures moving through the hills and firing arrows from behind trees!

Dietric hops on his horse and laughs bitterly. ”Hey, Cormac, remember when that guy who calls himself the Huntsman said that this would be just a skirmish, not a war? Ha! Let’s get the hell out of here before we all get killed!”

As per Gunnar's plan, the small defending force escapes down the road. About midnight, they skirt the edges of Fox Run, and meet panic-stricken citizens fleeing the town. The townsfolk say that the mayor has decided to surrender rather than fight, hoping to save the town by paying tribute. The count remains gone, off in Hildon with his soldiers. Some of the people, including women and children, join the march.

When the partisans and refugees reach the squire’s manor, tucked into a hidden valley not a long march from the town, they begin to set up sentries and defenses.
The squire asks Gunnar and Cormac to join him in his candle-lit parlor (smoke up the chimney might attract goblins, so no fire burns in the hearth)…

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac sees to the horses and getting Dietric set up in some temporary quarters, then travels to the Squire's room.

He walks in, not especially concerned with social graces, and slings his cloak over the nearest convenient piece of furniture.

"Aye, it's a fine mess we've walked our selves into, an' no mistakin'" Cormac grumbles. "I'll be glad to know what we can do about it, an how we can go get some help to make sure we don' all end up on the end of goblin spears."