Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Birthright Tuornen Chapter Four

Post by ewancummins »

Saramiere 22nd 551 Michealine Reckoning
CITY OF HAES

Two days since the young duke’s thwarted night-raid and the discovery of a spy among the Militant Order of Cuiraecen, the siege has tightened. With winter supplies running low and the spring produce of early harvests kept from Haes by the enemy armies, hunger drives mobs of poor people into the streets to clamor for bread. Only Rennalt’s brute squads and the personal appeal of Duke Devlin have thus far prevented general riot.

Handfuls of Alamien deserters lured by Devlin’s promises have crossed into the city. Along with scanty lot of prisoners taken in desultory attacks, the deserters tell of a sickness that spreads in occupied Riverside. A plague spawned by the dead, perhaps. Morale among Duke Carilon’s host, they say, declines with each passing day.

Careful interrogations by Devlin and his helpers confirm that Carilon Alam keeps to his flagship, a river barge stocked with soldiers, supplies, and loot. The flat vessel drifts at anchor in view but beyond bowshot of Caer Haes, a tall pavilion set up on the open deck and the Lion Banner floating over the highest peak of canvas.

This morning, Duke Devlin, Watch Commander Rennalt, and Filbert discuss the situation over breakfast at Caer Haes. The Lord Mayor, Brynaen Shander, has just arrived and taken a seat. She lays a sheaf of parchment down on the table near her plate. The duke’s four top guardsmen, dubbed by him the night of his coronation, remain nearby to protect their liege—the usual gaggle of servants and hangers-on are absent.

The Lord Mayor clears her throat, shuffles the parchments, and begins to speak "Your Grace, thank you for inviting me. I hope that you will—"

Pounding at the door--a password whispered, heard, the door opens as the four ducal warders tense just a bit, hands tight on halberd staves.

A page kneels and proclaims-
"Your Grace! The fire-demon, it has returned—it’s racing towards the River Gate!"

The Lord Mayor blanches. “That gate will never hold. It’s only half-repaired from the last burning and the blast. If that demon enters the city…”

JMatyr, check PM for secret information. I have not presumed that your PC was idle for the last two days.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Tuornen Chapter Four

Post by ewancummins »

Roald

Roald reaches the southern outskirts of Haes, countryside dotted with small farms and the occasional thorp, on the morning of the day after he left. A long ride, as his raw arse reminds him. Reese arranged for a horse swap in the last town, even trading a silken gown sewn with pearls for a brace of ponies (thus sparing Roald's warhorse and speeding up their trip).

If interrogated as to why he had a lady's court gown in his saddlebags, the boy shrugs and answers, "She , um, left it unpacked. I figured we could use it. Good cloth, right?"

Looking at the city, even from a hilltop a few miles out, Roald notes the haze of campfires outside the walls, clustered near the gates. No siege engines in site, but those might be placed to the north, where the intervening walls and house blocks his view. Through the morning mist off the river and the pall of wood smoke, he spots ragged soldiers—not fighting, just walking about, cooking, eating-camp life.
The smoke from the vicinity of the northern River Gate, an area mostly hidden from view, rises thicker and higher now—more than a campfire.

Horn blasts, three loud and shrill--

Some of the soldiers outside the city seize pikes and form up...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ghonallison, Esquire Ranald's Manor

The last two days have been tense, as they men watch and wait for a goblin attack that everyone expects at any moment. But the goblins have not attacked.

With the aid of prayers and some hot chicken soup (cooked up by the young widow who has attached herself to Cormac's gang) the 'beastman' and the little boy, both rescued from the goblins, are doing much better now.

Some of the men come to Cormac, one at a time or in small groups, and shamefacedly apologize for not helping him on the raid.

Others just look away when the druid walks by.

Dietric has brought Cormac the materials requested.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

"Looks like we arrived just in time," says Roald as he observes the army forming up. "Looks like another assault, but in broad daylight. Either Carlion is confident this next assault will work, or he's grown inpatient."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:"Looks like we arrived just in time," says Roald as he observes the army forming up. "Looks like another assault, but in broad daylight. Either Carlion is confident this next assault will work, or he's grown inpatient."

Reese looks down at the besiged city and the forces forming up for what may be an assault. The boy coughs to clear his throat.

"Um, boss, aren't we on the wrong side of the walls? Or do we work for Duke Carilon now?"

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Gunnar on seeing that the rescue worked goes up to Cormac says:"Good to see that your plan worked but know this, I was not about to not tell the folks here the risks of what could have happened had the goblins been more alert and all stormed out of their make shift barracks at the first sign of a rescue party going for "the beastman" man . I'm glad that luck was with you that night . But that does not mean it will always be with you . Think on my words my friend."With that Gunnar goes backed to organizing the men for raiding parties on the goblins that he has been doing for the last two days .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"We're still working for elfy duke, Reese. Now let me think," says Roald as he weighs his options. "It looks like the bulk of the fighting is going to be on the northern side. Let's ride around the outskirts until we can get a good view of the riverfront. If Sera favors us, there may be an opening there for us to get into the city. Hopefully I'll be able to show Haes' defenders my letter of safe-conduct before they feather us."
Last edited by Varrus the Ethical on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MANOR

Lord Skybolt wrote:Gunnar on seeing that the rescue worked goes up to Cormac says:"Good to see that your plan worked but know this, I was not about to not tell the folks here the risks of what could have happened had the goblins been more alert and all stormed out of their make shift barracks at the first sign of a rescue party going for "the beastman" man . I'm glad that luck was with you that night . But that does not mean it will always be with you . Think on my words my friend."With that Gunnar goes backed to organizing the men for raiding parties on the goblins that he has been doing for the last two days .

The men work and train hard but without cheer under Gunnar's direction.

Squire Ranald issues food in small packets from his cellars, and all the lumbermen and townsfolk who are not training under Gunnar must work to earn their rations. Ranald sets the people to shoring up the defenses of his manor, planting and tending his new spring gardens, slopping the scawny pigs in his corral, etc.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:"We're still working for elfy duke, Reese. Now let me think," says Roald as he weighs his options. "It looks like the bulk of the fighting is going to be on the northern side. Let's ride around the outskirts until we can get a good view of the riverfront. If Sera favors us, there may be an opening there for us to get into the city. Hopefully I'll be able to show Haes' defenders my letter of safe-conduct before they feather us."

Roald and Reese ride wide round the city to the northeast before hooking west again, keeping away from the Alamien foraging parties that are busy carrying off what little livestock and winter grain remains in the countryside.

From a safe vantage point in the shadow of a burned-out barn, a couple of miles from the walls, they get a clear view of Riverside and the River Gate, and the river beyond to the west. Half the waterfront district, the ground between the walls and the rusting hulk of the great broken cannon, lies in ashes. Buildings closer to the water stand mostly intact. A pretty large force-- a battle of several hundred men from the looks of it, forms in the burned strip. A great bonfire blazes before the assembled force--though the spring morning is not especially cold. Then Roald realizes that the bonfire is moving! It rolls, fast, towards the River Gate! The cheers of the Alamien army ring out loud enough for Roald's pony to start at the roar.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Roald whistles to himself, "What in Haelyn's noble balls is that?"
Last edited by Varrus the Ethical on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Reese replies-

''Maybe it's a bunch of that stinky burning crap that alchemists make?"

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:
"But why set it on fire so far from the gate? Surrounded by their own soldiers? It doesn't make any sense," Roald begins to change his appearance. "If we run into any Alamie that we can't avoid, call me Davis of Endier. You'll be my squire Joffrey, got it?"

Roald will ride to get a closer look at the fire after he finishes his disguise.

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:
"But why set it on fire so far from the gate? Surrounded by their own soldiers? It doesn't make any sense," Roald begins to change his appearance. "If we run into any Alamie that we can't avoid, call me Davis of Endier. You'll be my squire Joffrey, got it?"

Roald will ride to get a closer look at the fire after he finishes his disguise.

''Joffrey, right."

Reese gives his pony a gentle nudge and rides after his boss...

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

ewancummins wrote:THE MANOR

Lord Skybolt wrote:Gunnar on seeing that the rescue worked goes up to Cormac says:"Good to see that your plan worked but know this, I was not about to not tell the folks here the risks of what could have happened had the goblins been more alert and all stormed out of their make shift barracks at the first sign of a rescue party going for "the beastman" man . I'm glad that luck was with you that night . But that does not mean it will always be with you . Think on my words my friend."With that Gunnar goes backed to organizing the men for raiding parties on the goblins that he has been doing for the last two days .

The men work and train hard but without cheer under Gunnar's direction.

Squire Ranald issues food in small packets from his cellars, and all the lumbermen and townsfolk who are not training under Gunnar must work to earn their rations. Ranald sets the people to shoring up the defenses of his manor, planting and tending his new spring gardens, slopping the scawny pigs in his corral, etc.

While he has been training the men Gunnar has also been sending the most stealthy men he can find to look for goblin patrols and sign of them so they some starting points on where they start attacking the goblins . Gunnar is looking for places that his men can stake out for places to ambush said patrols . The places he is looking for also should be easy for his men to escape from also on Horse or on foot more likely and not easy of wolves(Wargs) to get too .

Gunnar stresses to these scouts that he does not want them to be caught or seen at all if at all possible . He would like numbers in these patrols if they can get them, but not to risk themselves in getting those numbers though .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MANOR
Lord Skybolt wrote: While he has been training the men Gunnar has also been sending the most stealthy men he can find to look for goblin patrols and sign of them so they some starting points on where they start attacking the goblins . Gunnar is looking for places that his men can stake out for places to ambush said patrols . The places he is looking for also should be easy for his men to escape from also on Horse or on foot more likely and not easy of wolves(Wargs) to get too .
Gunnar's men find a few good ambush spots on the game trails of the wooded hills and along the dirt road connected to Fox Run.
Gunnar stresses to these scouts that he does not want them to be caught or seen at all if at all possible . He would like numbers in these patrols if they can get them, but not to risk themselves in getting those numbers though .
Gunnar's men are nothing if not cautious.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.