Merry Christmas

Books, movies, television and everything else
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Merry Christmas

Post by Ail »

Hi, I don't know anymore where these posts should go, but I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas from... England.

Yep, that's right, I now live in the UK. And I must say, this looks terrifyingly Ravenloft-ish:)
Gloomy nights, small villages, grave-yards in the middle of the town, with no walls isolating them from the houses... even the clouds and the moon have been just like in the cover of "I, Strahd"
I've been feeling the mists calling me since day one. Now I just have to find a new group!

Happy feasting everyone, and may you have a great 2013.

See you around.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by A G Thing »

Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you enjoy England... Where are you as I am sure it will help those looking for groups to find you?
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Merry Christmas. Happy Chanukah. Happy Kwanza. And for all you atheists, have a nice day.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

Merry Christmas to some. Happy Holidays to others. Happy New Year for those of you that like a good Gregorian Calendar.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Merry Christmas! If you moved to the UK from a non-Commonwealth country, remember that many standard words have different meanings over there. The one that tripped me up the most frequently was "pants", which has at least three different meanings depending on context and company.

If you're making an utter pig's ear of it and you can't figure out what they're all on about, have a butcher's in your local W H Smith's or Waterstones for a book called Roger's Profanisaurus. It's obscene and won't actually help all that much with polite conversation, but if nothing else it will make the linguistic gap highly entertaining.

"A confident appeal by the Australians!"
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Remember to drive on the other side :) Good luck in UK! (Good luck finding bacalao :) )

Merry Xmas everybody!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Remember to drive on the other side :) Good luck in UK! (Good luck finding bacalao :) )

Merry Xmas everybody!

Joël
Thanks. I had to settle for Turkey and Christmas Pudding. Get to know the local habits :)

Oh, and fortunately, I'm not driving :))) (yet)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

HuManBing wrote:Merry Christmas! If you moved to the UK from a non-Commonwealth country, remember that many standard words have different meanings over there. The one that tripped me up the most frequently was "pants", which has at least three different meanings depending on context and company.

If you're making an utter pig's ear of it and you can't figure out what they're all on about, have a butcher's in your local W H Smith's or Waterstones for a book called Roger's Profanisaurus. It's obscene and won't actually help all that much with polite conversation, but if nothing else it will make the linguistic gap highly entertaining.

"A confident appeal by the Australians!"
It does depend on where your standard is set, though :) I always tried to use the British English version, although I got much confused with the American variants in the few last years.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

A G Thing wrote:Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you enjoy England... Where are you as I am sure it will help those looking for groups to find you?

Hi, I'm enjoying it so far, very much. Feels more relaxed than home. But also that's because I'm in Egham, which is a small village / town (?) outside London.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Reviving this thread for the season.

Also because there isn't a dedicated low-quality random thoughts thread.