Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

GRIFFIN CASTLE

Renn dips his head in acknowledgement of Montros' grievance about Monsedge. "I had not realized you were wronged," he says, though of course he knows it. Half the bloody court gossiped about it still, it seemed. "Nor that we were Kinsmen, though it's an honor to learn. The men of Ghonallison are proud of their heritage, but fuzzy on the details. My Lord father used to brag he'd only owned three books: The Huntsman's Companion, Betrasco's Tactics, and The Rites of The Mead Feast."

At the mention of befrriending Devlin, Renn gives a small, almost embarrassed shrug. "In truth, I sympathize with His Grace. There are times, I must confess, when I feel anchored down by my position as Watch Commander. But as long as that post is mine, so the streets of Haes are my home. To have alam's lackeys disturb my peace, hang my citizens, kill -my- guardsmen..." He pounds a fist in his open palm. But then he cracks his knuckles and his hands drop to his side, and the smile returns.

"But you are right of course, My Lord. Even if honor demands we strike back, and I'd say it does, we must not fight in a war of conquest. Especially not with the Goblins in our realm and The Manslayer biding his time."

"I've no new word on the sitation in fox Run. But if it were not for my oaths I would ride there to put each and every goblin to the pike--bull, bitch, and pup."

He leans back, and an odd smile crosses his lips. "I was once as Hot-Headed as his grace. I was barely fourteen, and begged my Lord Father for a command to patrol against the goblins. But he wouldn't hear of it, all that rot about learning to follow before learning to lead. So I went to the dungeons and bribed a guard to give me some of the criminals who'd been sentenced to be hanged. My father would never miss a few--he's always drunk at hangings. And I led those condemned men into the highlands. Two weeks later they were all dead, and I'd left more than a few pints of my own blood in the goblin territories." He shakes his head the laughs.

"Is it strange that I still think back fondly to those times? Ratting down the goblins, dressing our saddles with their scalps. Before my Lord Father decided that I needed more contact with humanity and made me one of his reeves. Ah, but please forgive me my rambling, My Lord. Good port, this."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

ewancummins wrote:RANALD'S MANOR-HOUSE, PARLOR

kintire wrote:Safana looks thoughtful for a moment.

"We should find these people. If they are friends, they need refuge here. If they are enemies, their information must be brought here. Either way, the contents of those wagons will be useful!"

"Yes, that does seem wise."

Ranald turns to Gunnar.

"And your thoughts, my lieutenant? "
Gunnar says:"I agree with Safana on this, but would want someone with us to check there heraldry to know whose side they are on . As I'm not at all familiar with the local heraldry beyond national ones . If you can suggest someone that we could take along with us ? "Looking to Ranald for a suggestion .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:
ewancummins wrote:RANALD'S MANOR-HOUSE, PARLOR

kintire wrote:Safana looks thoughtful for a moment.

"We should find these people. If they are friends, they need refuge here. If they are enemies, their information must be brought here. Either way, the contents of those wagons will be useful!"

"Yes, that does seem wise."

Ranald turns to Gunnar.

"And your thoughts, my lieutenant? "
Gunnar says:"I agree with Safana on this, but would want someone with us to check there heraldry to know whose side they are on . As I'm not at all familiar with the local heraldry beyond national ones . If you can suggest someone that we could take along with us ? "Looking to Ranald for a suggestion .

Ranald replies "I think in that case that I will go with you, as I know more about such matters than any of the others at the manor.
The gatherers told me that they thought the trail looked recent. If these strangers are hauling supplies or loot in wains along the timber roads, they won't be moving fast.
When would you like to depart?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:GRIFFIN CASTLE

"Is it strange that I still think back fondly to those times? Ratting down the goblins, dressing our saddles with their scalps. Before my Lord Father decided that I needed more contact with humanity and made me one of his reeves. Ah, but please forgive me my rambling, My Lord. Good port, this."
"No, I don't mind. It's always nice to hear a good story with my wine."

The old man leans over the table, steepling his bony fingers in front of his gaunt face.

"I've heard another story of late. It's all about a certain heavy-laden payroll wagon on the other side of the river, one which will be rolling soon. It would be my pleasure to share the rest of the tale with you, kinsman. If you are too busy attending Duke Devlin to make personal use of the information, perhaps you know some likely fellows in Haes who would be interested in a private venture? My couriers are mounted on swift steeds..."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert listens carefully Meave's words, she seems sincere at the offer but still it's something that bothers the halfling just he cannot put his finger to it. All this courtesy, the offer to help, even try to get Devlin at the Norge to talk to him face to face. Maybe the one that really needs aid is Meave and not the Duke...the offer sounds reasonable at first but maybe is too convenient and also Meave doesn't say before hand what she needs these men for. Yes she said is for no evil purpose and not against the Duke's interest but is she trustworthy? Norton said that 30 years ago she kidnapped people, so she isn't much of a good person...No, Filbert is almost sure now that there is something fishy in the offer and at the whole's Meave's presence.

Taking a deep breath and hoping this will not be the last once, Filbert asks:

"I'm sorry to interrupt Lady Meave, but I have heard stories of kidnapped people like 30 years ago? There is a story for a man, Yeoman Grig, who was kidnapped and his wife found a lily at the bed for example."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Shrugging off the fatigue starting to settle into his limbs, Cormac snatches his hatchet into the air and charges into a goblin with the blade swinging down.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

GRIFFIN CASTLE

Renn leans back in his seat. "I do like a good story," he says with a sly half-grin. "I would like to hear the rest of it. My duties may keep me in Tuornen for some time, depending on what His Grace needs, but I think I know a soul who might help us out. Recall Gilgead's bastard, the sellsword Roald? He's raising a group of raiders to harrass Alamie as we speak. And he seems no enemy of gold. He may be the friend we're looking for."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Gunnar says:"I agree with Safana on this, but would want someone with us to check there heraldry to know whose side they are on . As I'm not at all familiar with the local heraldry beyond national ones . If you can suggest someone that we could take along with us ? "Looking to Ranald for a suggestion .[/quote]

Ranald replies "I think in that case that I will go with you, as I know more about such matters than any of the others at the manor.
The gatherers told me that they thought the trail looked recent. If these strangers are hauling supplies or loot in wains along the timber roads, they won't be moving fast.
When would you like to depart?"[/quote]

"Probly tomorrow morning since I want the men to be settled down after our victory over the goblin patrol and need to get Rumble thrown shoe shod . And I want the worg furs closer to being made into cloaks for me and Safana, my Lord . They shall be an award to all men in my band that kill by themselves or help in the killing of a worg . As soon as we all have cloaks I think a good name for my group will be the Wolfsbane some thing or another group ."Gunnar says with a grin to Ranald .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CROAKER NORGE
VAN wrote:Filbert listens carefully Meave's words, she seems sincere at the offer but still it's something that bothers the halfling just he cannot put his finger to it. All this courtesy, the offer to help, even try to get Devlin at the Norge to talk to him face to face. Maybe the one that really needs aid is Meave and not the Duke...the offer sounds reasonable at first but maybe is too convenient and also Meave doesn't say before hand what she needs these men for. Yes she said is for no evil purpose and not against the Duke's interest but is she trustworthy? Norton said that 30 years ago she kidnapped people, so she isn't much of a good person...No, Filbert is almost sure now that there is something fishy in the offer and at the whole's Meave's presence.

Taking a deep breath and hoping this will not be the last once, Filbert asks:

"I'm sorry to interrupt Lady Meave, but I have heard stories of kidnapped people like 30 years ago? There is a story for a man, Yeoman Grig, who was kidnapped and his wife found a lily at the bed for example."

Maeve replies-
"Yeoman Grig? Some local farmer? I certainly do not have need farmers here in the bottom of the norge. "
She waves her right hand about at the misty, sunless, sodden marsh.
"Maybe he ran away with a pretty girl."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

LOWER ROOM OF THE WATCHTOWER
Adam wrote:Shrugging off the fatigue starting to settle into his limbs, Cormac snatches his hatchet into the air and charges into a goblin with the blade swinging down.

Cormac drops a goblin, and his companions take down two others.

The fourth goblin leaps back shouting for mercy.
"Don’t kill me! Me got keys! Me got keys! I let out slaves if you let me go. We make deal, yes, yes?"
It dangles a set of brass keys over the vent or grill set in one of the wooden floor-hatches.
Moans and muffled cries for help come up from several of the hatches, but not from the one over which the goblin dangles the keys.
"Drop or deal?"

The sounds of axes hacking wood and cursing goblins down the hall to the main building are getting louder…

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

GRIFFIN CASTLE-
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:GRIFFIN CASTLE

Renn leans back in his seat. "I do like a good story," he says with a sly half-grin. "I would like to hear the rest of it. My duties may keep me in Tuornen for some time, depending on what His Grace needs, but I think I know a soul who might help us out. Recall Gilgead's bastard, the sellsword Roald? He's raising a group of raiders to harrass Alamie as we speak. And he seems no enemy of gold. He may be the friend we're looking for."
" Gilgaed should have remarried , but his heart was truly broken with his elf-wife's murder. Never the same man afterward. “

Setting down his empty cup, the Count continues to speak after wiping his lips with a linen cloth.

“The sellsword should do, based on what I know of him. I will send a messenger on a fleet-footed beast, and you may write the letter. Spoils will be divided, ah, let’s say a quarter to me, a quarter to you, and half to be shared among the men who do the job. Does that seem fair to you?”

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RIVERSIDE

Cold rain begins to fall as a small patrol of the City Watch arrives to take control of the scene.

The lieutenant in charge orders Roald to hand over his prisoner.
"We'll take him, sir."

Clyde rumbles back into view and sits down on the boardwalk to lick his paws clean.
The watchmen cast wary glances at the black bear, but don't bother him.

Two watchmen kneel beside the murdered woman to cover her with a cloak.
“Poor soul-“ One of them says, “I think I knew her, an alewife and an honest woman.”

Another watchman asks Torthur-
"What happened here, Dwarf?"

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RANALD'S PARLOR

"Early on the morrow, yes. Alright, that is all I have in the way of business. Shall we eat, drink, even dare to be merry? The refugees have need of a little cheer, no doubt. I'm sure the men and boys would enjoy hearing Gunnar tell of his exploits , and I think everyone would be pleased by a magic-show. "
kintire wrote:
"Early on the morrow, yes. Alright, that is all I have in the way of business. Shall we eat, drink, even dare to be merry? The refugees have need of a little cheer, no doubt. I'm sure the men and boys would enjoy hearing Gunnar tell of his exploits , and I think everyone would be pleased by a magic-show. "
Of course my Lord, I'll be happy to perform! And perhaps my skills in herding smoke would be welcome too. I would like a hot meal!
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:RIVERSIDE

Cold rain begins to fall as a small patrol of the City Watch arrives to take control of the scene.

The lieutenant in charge orders Roald to hand over his prisoner.
"We'll take him, sir."

Clyde rumbles back into view and sits down on the boardwalk to lick his paws clean.
The watchmen cast wary glances at the black bear, but don't bother him.

Two watchmen kneel beside the murdered woman to cover her with a cloak.
“Poor soul-“ One of them says, “I think I knew her, an alewife and an honest woman.”

Another watchman asks Torthur-
"What happened here, Dwarf?"
Torthur clears his throat, then sighs. "Me names Torthur I were wresslin an I seen that oily haired man approachin Magga suspiciously acuz she has the coins purse fer tha bets. I stopped wresslin an went after 'im. But 'e grabbed er from behind an putted a knife ta her throat, nickin 'er. Then its all happens fast. He slitted her throat 'n ran. Roald ran after 'im an got im.
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Roald hands Fez to the guards and says, "He murdered a woman in public, not smart. He also hired some fool to try and put a crossbow through me. That's even less smart. I'd like a chance to question him myself when we get back to Watch Headquaters."
Last edited by Varrus the Ethical on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.