ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

Morning of the 30th day of Saramiere

City of Haes

“Captain, the Lord Mayor wishes to see you and Master Roald both.”
Rennalt opens his eyes to see the desktop. Looking up he sees the ruddy, smiling face of Sergeant Gilly leaned over him. The sergeant shoves a mug of hot tea into his leader’s hand.
A rumbling sound comes from somewhere in the back of the office. A familiar musty odor rises to Renn’s nose—bear? Here?

Looking about, the watch commander discovers a black bear cuddled in one corner of the drafty room, with a dwarf almost as hairy as it wrapped in its arms.
“New recruit, sir” the sergeant comments. “Roald’s friend, I think. Fell to sleep drunk late last night. Bear might have been drunk too. I thought it best not to try to move them. “

A farmer’s house at the southern verge of the town of Croaker Norge, Monsedge province
Duke Devlin’s party crossed the rain soaked moors and arrived in the town Croaker Norge last night. Every barn, woodshed, loft, and spare bed seemed to hold a weary refugee; men, women, and children who had fled the fury of the northern goblins. The local pub was so full that men slept in piles on the floorboards. Despite the crowding, or maybe because of it, several locals actually brawled over who would get the honor of providing lodging for the duke and his party.

Devlin is roused in his borrowed bed by one of his knights, Sir Joram. The young man tells his duke-“More messages, Your Grace.” He hands Devlin a packets of much scratched and battered parchments. Joram opens the shutters, letting the gray light of morning into the bedroom.

Filbert wakens with the smell of fresh baked rye teasing his nostrils. A quick peek out of the cupboard where he had slept (fixed up by the farmer’s wife as a cozy improvised bed, with a thick quilt and a bundle of dry wool) reveals the woman of the house drawing a loaf of brown bread from the little fieldstone oven built into the side of the fireplace.

Woods in a hidden valley west of the town of Fox Run, Ghonallison province
A big black shadow with four legs stalks misty, brushy woods just on the north side of the misty game trail, sniffing the air. Behind the monster and on the narrow trail marches a troupe of bandy-legged goblins, who shift and grumble uneasily as they watch the trees with huge yellow eyes.
Gunnar’s seven hand-picked men lie silent and still in their hunters’ blinds or creep as slowly as stick insects moving through the fog-wrapped forest. The skinniest and shortest of the men slithers over the damp underbrush, making little noise, and reaches Gunnar’s resting place under the cover of a thick stand of timber.
He sidles up the plate-armored giant and whispers in a tiny voice-
“Goblin patrol. Big wolf in front. Orders?”

The northernmost monastery of the Militant Order in the mountains of western Ghonallison

Two days out from the relative comfort and safety of the poachers’ cave-home, Cormac and his band have reached the cliff top monastery, sneaking up from the southern edge and watching from a jumble of boulders and wind-twisted pines. At the distance a strong man might hurl an axe, the monastery looks as much like a little lording’s fortress as a place of prayer and contemplation. A single tall watchtower rises from the square formed by rugged stone walls. A wooden wicket gate faces onto the only trail wide enough for a cart. It remains closed; a careful looks reveals scorch marks to its outer face. Now and then, robed figures appear atop the stout outer wall, patrolling with shouldered spears or spiked clubs.

Foerde heard
VIEW CONTENT:
no sunrise bells from the monastery, which might seem odd as the monks regularly and loudly ring the bells in worship, come war or peace.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen Chapter Five

Post by Adam »

"Hrmm," Cormac sighs, rubbing his beard. "Looks like things are more or less intact, son."

Cormac looks his way. "I don' suppose we came all this way fer nothin?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

WATCH HQ

Always a light sleeper, Roald awakens from bunk provided for him by the Watch Commander. He dresses himself and goes to see Renn.
Last edited by Varrus the Ethical on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

WATCH HQ

Renn wakes groggily, rubbing his eyes and then bringing a hand to an ache in the small of his back. By the dead, he'd need to get at least one night's sleep in a bed eventually.

"Thanks, Gilly," he says and takes the proffered tea. It's only after the first couple of sips that he makes out what Gilly's trying to tell him about the dwarf...and the bear.

"Gods, where does Roald get friends like these?" he asks Gilly with a wry grin. But under the surface he gauges the situation--he doesn't have much experience with dwarves, but from what he's heard it may not be wise to try to shake this one out of sleep. Even less so with a bear nearby.

"Passed out drunk, eh?" He goes to his shelf and unstoppers a decanter of brandy. He walks over to the dwarf and holds the open decanter under his nose.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:WATCH HQ

Renn wakes groggily, rubbing his eyes and then bringing a hand to an ache in the small of his back. By the dead, he'd need to get at least one night's sleep in a bed eventually.

"Thanks, Gilly," he says and takes the proffered tea. It's only after the first couple of sips that he makes out what Gilly's trying to tell him about the dwarf...and the bear.

"Gods, where does Roald get friends like these?" he asks Gilly with a wry grin. But under the surface he gauges the situation--he doesn't have much experience with dwarves, but from what he's heard it may not be wise to try to shake this one out of sleep. Even less so with a bear nearby.

"Passed out drunk, eh?" He goes to his shelf and unstoppers a decanter of brandy. He walks over to the dwarf and holds the open decanter under his nose.
Torthur the dwarf's nose twitches and sniffs the decanter. Then his eyes pop open rather slowly, bloodshot. He mumbles something in Dwarvish "Vater I möchten wieder gehen Durchschlag eine Kuh"

The sits upright, untangling himself from Clyde. "BEEEEEELCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" is the next sound coming from his mouth before his eyes actually focus and he looks around.

"Whu- whutter I doin " he stands steady enough "'ere? Ah, bah! That Roald musta brought me 'ere." He turns around and gently prods Clyde with his foot, rustling the bear.

"I -uh , this be tha Sergeants office, Sgt Ghonallison it be, yes? I be Torthur, Torthur Barrelhouse and this be me friend Clyde. Mister Roald, he's hired me."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin reads the messages.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Adam wrote:"Hrmm," Cormac sighs, rubbing his beard. "Looks like things are more or less intact, son."

Cormac looks his way. "I don' suppose we came all this way fer nothin?"
"Something isn't right." Foerde says. "The monks should be ringing the bells. They do during morning prayers come peace or war. Might be the bell got damaged in the battle, still best to be careful and sneaky as can be."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DEVLIN, TOWN OF CROAKER NORGE
JMaytr wrote:Devlin reads the messages.

The first message comes from Count Robin. The count has brought his knights back to his home province, as per your orders. He has scouted goblin positions and found the main goblin force concentrated in Fox Run. His house in that town seems to be their headquarters. By his estimate, there are at least three large units of goblins, maybe as many as five in the province. He requests more men and more supplies, as soon as possible.

The second message is from Braedonnal, "Lots of goblins. I want to attack them now, but Robin is dragging his boots. More forces would be good, but I don't think you can afford to wait long. These goblins have come to conquer, not raid. That means they may be planning an investiture ceremony."

Fhylie writes that she is busy gathering up priests and attending the needs of the displaced folk but will help just as soon as you decide to fight. She suggests that you let her order raise and move troops freely.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert wakens with the smell of fresh baked rye teasing his nostrils. A quick peek out of the cupboard where he had slept (fixed up by the farmer’s wife as a cozy improvised bed, with a thick quilt and a bundle of dry wool) reveals the woman of the house drawing a loaf of brown bread from the little fieldstone oven built into the side of the fireplace.

Filbert tries to stretch before realizing where he is. Deftly climbs down the cupboard and follows the smell of the bread. Once in the kitchen smiles at the woman and says:

"Good morning, thank you for the hospitality. The bread seems delicious and smells even better!"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Filbert wakens with the smell of fresh baked rye teasing his nostrils. A quick peek out of the cupboard where he had slept (fixed up by the farmer’s wife as a cozy improvised bed, with a thick quilt and a bundle of dry wool) reveals the woman of the house drawing a loaf of brown bread from the little fieldstone oven built into the side of the fireplace.

Filbert tries to stretch before realizing where he is. Deftly climbs down the cupboard and follows the smell of the bread. Once in the kitchen smiles at the woman and says:

"Good morning, thank you for the hospitality. The bread seems delicious and smells even better!"
The middle-aged, heavyset matron turns round with a pan of hot bread in her hands.
"Oh, are you hungry Little Man?" She sets the bread down on a nearby table, grabs a knife, and slices a steaming heel off the loaf. After smearing some butter on it, she hands the piece of bread to Filbert
"If you help me cook a big breakfast for the duke, I'll let you have some treats." She picks up a small wooden box, flipping open the top to reveal a string of rock candy.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

WATCH HQ, CITY OF HAES
tarlyn wrote:
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:WATCH HQ

Torthur the dwarf's nose twitches and sniffs the decanter. Then his eyes pop open rather slowly, bloodshot. He mumbles something in Dwarvish "Vater I möchten wieder gehen Durchschlag eine Kuh"

The sits upright, untangling himself from Clyde. "BEEEEEELCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" is the next sound coming from his mouth before his eyes actually focus and he looks around.

"Whu- whutter I doin " he stands steady enough "'ere? Ah, bah! That Roald musta brought me 'ere." He turns around and gently prods Clyde with his foot, rustling the bear.

"I -uh , this be tha Sergeants office, Sgt Ghonallison it be, yes? I be Torthur, Torthur Barrelhouse and this be me friend Clyde. Mister Roald, he's hired me."

An older man leans in next to the younger fellow holding the decanter. He peers down at the dwarf.
"No, my good dwarf. I'm the sergeant. Sergeant Gilly. This gentleman here-"
He motions towards the man with the decanter. "Is my lord, and captain of the City Watch, the noble Rennalt Ghonallison, son of Count Robin."
The older man's thick chest puffs out with pride as he straightens up to stand with fists set on his hips.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes, yes sure!" Says Filbert as devours the bread.

"Very tasty. Now, how can I help you? We halflings make really good cooks."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

CITY WATCH HQ

"Uh, pardon my forgetfullness and my condolences on bein a noble an all that, sir" the dwarf says as he turns and prods the bear again.
"Durned bear drunk more n me fer once, tha lush." The bear does sir and swats his two paws at Torthur, growling a little before calming down enough.

"He'll be fine. Needs some honey an I wants a coffee. So, I don't remember some o what Roald was askin me. Something about a raid? I ne'er says no to a good raid if I gots competent men with me. If not I can teach em."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

WATCH HQ

Rennault can't help but laugh. "You wouldn't be the first to think Sergeant Gilly's the real commander of the watch. Sometimes I make the same mistake myself," he says with wry humor.

"Well, friend Torthur, if you're looking for work as a raider, you've come to the right place. And my thanks for your condolences. Being born noble...you take it one day at a time." Normally, Rennault wouldn't brook insolence from strangers, but the dwarf reminds him of some of his rougher comrades back in Ghonallison.

"Roald would be along shortly, I'd imagine. Until then, I'd like to hear about what kind of havoc you can wreak in exchange for my gold. Where have you worked before?"

"Oh, and Sergeant? See if we can scare up some honey..."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

WATCH HQ

Roald follows the unmistakable sound of Torther's belch. When he sees Renn there too, he says, "Ah, good to see you're getting acquainted with my new associate, Captain Ghonallison. I was wondering if I could speak with you this morning."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.