Mummy: the Curse (NWoD) is out! Holla!

Discussing all roleplaying games
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Mummy: the Curse (NWoD) is out! Holla!

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I just received my hardbound copy in the mail today. :)

I haven't had time to sit out and read through it thoroughly, but based on what I've scanned so far it's totally different from the "good guy" thematic of the CWoD .

The Sothic Cycle intrigues me. Apparently the new batch of mummies in the NWoD only arose in the year 2012; the last time they did arise was during the first spread of Islam.

Morality (for the Core Blue Book) has been replaced with Memory, and it BEGINS AT 1.

More as I squee.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Mummy: the Curse (NWoD) is out! Holla!

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Morality (for the Core Blue Book) has been replaced with Memory, and it BEGINS AT 1.
Their Morality equivalent starts at 1? Are they well and truly deranged to begin with and the struggle back to sanity a part of their journey? What exactly does Memory impact at truly high and low levels?

And though it's off-topic, do you know where I can find info on The Unholy, Dion? As in actual facts and not rumors like in Ordo Dracul?
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

I haven't gotten my copy yet. But I was looking at the PDF version the other night. It looks pretty cool. I like how the vampire's Blood Potency and the werewolf's Primal Urge begin low and increase with power but the mummy version appears to move in the opposite direction until they die and are reborn.

This is all from a quick glance at the book. I'm sure my understanding will get better when I have the time to actually read it. In that case, I will apologize if this post turns out to be totally inaccurate :D
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Trike wrote:I haven't gotten my copy yet. But I was looking at the PDF version the other night. It looks pretty cool. I like how the vampire's Blood Potency and the werewolf's Primal Urge begin low and increase with power but the mummy version appears to move in the opposite direction until they die and are reborn.
Sounds a bit like Promethean, where they start powerful but go on a Pilgrimage to attain Mortality and be reborn human.
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

My previous NWOD games (and CWOD for that matter) have been heavy with vampires and werewolves. I think I might just put Promethean, Mummy, and Geist on the table next time and see what happens. I can't wait to see how they interact.

As an aside, I enjoy having a variety of templates. But it makes me miss out on the cool team abilities in the Hunter series.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Trike wrote:As an aside, I enjoy having a variety of templates. But it makes me miss out on the cool team abilities in the Hunter series.
Is that Reckoning or Vigil?

WHAT?! No Mage?!?! Or Changeling for that matter?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

This is sort of related. In what book are weapons and equipment listed in Vampire the Masquerade?
Trike
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Trike »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:
Trike wrote:As an aside, I enjoy having a variety of templates. But it makes me miss out on the cool team abilities in the Hunter series.

That would be Vigil. My Reckoning knowledge was mainly based on the X-Box and Playstation games (which I enjoyed immensely).

Oh, and I love Mage but it has always seemed kind of daunting. At this point I'm planning on limiting my players to using the spells listed as rotes until we all get the hang of improv spell casting. Mainly, I want to get used to what spells can do at certain levels. Other than aggravated damage at 5 dots and lethal damage at 3 dots.

Changeling is great. But I have a hard time fitting the high fantasy elements involved with Changelings into a modern horror setting. I've seen how its done in the Dresden Files and Hollows series. I just can't seem to get it to feel right in my own stories. I enjoy it a lot more as a stand alone addition.

I'm finding Mummy to be kind of daunting on my first read through, too. I'm still wrapping my head around everything.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tarlyn wrote:This is sort of related. In what book are weapons and equipment listed in Vampire the Masquerade?
You can find basic stuff in the core rulebook, World of Darkness. For more you'll need Armory and Armory: Reloaded. The former is mainly more equipment and Fighting Style Merits. The latter is more about unique, storied items (things with supernatural powers) as well as some additional weapons and rules. Reliquary isn't necessarily a weapons and equipment book but it does offer rules for (very minor) supernatural equipment and weapons.
Trike wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:

That would be Vigil. My Reckoning knowledge was mainly based on the X-Box and Playstation games (which I enjoyed immensely).

Oh, and I love Mage but it has always seemed kind of daunting. At this point I'm planning on limiting my players to using the spells listed as rotes until we all get the hang of improv spell casting. Mainly, I want to get used to what spells can do at certain levels. Other than aggravated damage at 5 dots and lethal damage at 3 dots.

Changeling is great. But I have a hard time fitting the high fantasy elements involved with Changelings into a modern horror setting. I've seen how its done in the Dresden Files and Hollows series. I just can't seem to get it to feel right in my own stories. I enjoy it a lot more as a stand alone addition.

I'm finding Mummy to be kind of daunting on my first read through, too. I'm still wrapping my head around everything.
Understandable. I, myself, find Vampire daunting due to the political undertones of Kindred existence and the covenants. That's just not how my mind works. Werewolf (which isn't like Planeteers to whomever made that comparison; Shifting Breeds has shapeshifters infinitely closer to that ideal) is another I'm having trouble with if only because there's so much more to it in the spiritual half. Or it could simply be I hate such "traditional" monsters and the parodies pop culture has made them into. Not to mention they've been done to death--no pun intended for vampires--in movies (damn you, Twilight!), TV shows, video games, novels, you name it. Pop McCulture has a way of ruining niche interests.

I actually find Mage and Changeling to be easier for me to absorb simply because they both have elements I'm very interested in like dimensional theory and oneirology. They also share more common elements (and crossover potential) than any of the other settings and I've found knowledge of one is very helpful in understanding the other. As for the high fantasy, that's largely relegated to the Hedge. Changelings in and of themselves may a be a bit fantastical, but that just makes them more interesting when contrasted with the gritty, Gothic reality of the World of Darkness. It's actually from a fusion of the two that a new race of beings (half-human, half-True Fae called Fae Blooded or just Blooded) has germinated into an idea for a netbook called Shadows of Utah for the WW forums. It's still very much in my head and ideas are being tossed around so don't expect anything for a long time. Plus I need to sort through the history from the time of its "discovery" by whites to events up to the year 2010 since, in the WoD, history is very much alive and affecting modern times.

Be grateful you didn't get into Reckoning. As I understand it all the oWOD books were quite complicated compared to nWOD, but Hunter was a trainwreck. The core book is so convoluted it's a nightmare to run, and it doesn't use many of the same rules as the rest of oWOD. Then there's the fluff which alluded that Hunters were somehow divinely chosen for a Final Reckoning (the rather disappointing end of oWOD). Frankly the video games were the only good things to come from it.

EDIT: Because nWOD has informed more of the realities of how supernatural beings can hide in the plain sight of over six-billion humans in The Gothic Journals (no, not the same systems, but the same general ideas of cultural disbelief, willful ignorance, and Masques as Lunacy/Disbelief/the Mask), I feel I should mention that I do owe the general setting some credit for helping me realize that, yes, Virginia, humanity really can be that blind. It's sickening that the horrors we do acknowledge get just as ignored.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

I'm lucky that I have all the supernatural templates books for the NWoD (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Promethean, Changelng, Hunter, Geist, Mummy). I still have to get my hands on the God Machine Anthology, which sets the tone for this year's supposed release for Demon.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I thought I saw something like that on Wikipedia. It would be nice to know what the God-Machine is (as much as mortal minds can comprehend such) and if the opening fluff of the core rulebook has any truth to it. Particularly that bit about "angel bones on the moon." I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end of nWOD for an all new edition. They've squeezed ever drop of Vitae out of Vampire but not done half as much with the other settings.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

I think it's White Wolf's traditional policy to put a lot of detail in the Blue Book, plus the three traditional templates (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage). :P

But what I'd really like to see is a new "Shadows of _____" book with "Mage: The Awakening" in mind. They've already done Mexico (Vampire) and the UK (Werewolf).
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:I think it's White Wolf's traditional policy to put a lot of detail in the Blue Book, plus the three traditional templates (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage). :P

But what I'd really like to see is a new "Shadows of _____" book with "Mage: The Awakening" in mind. They've already done Mexico (Vampire) and the UK (Werewolf).
Shadows of Chicago is probably the only (canon) book we'll get at all geared towards mages. That, again, is something I want to address in Shadows of Utah if it ever goes from my head to paper (er, e-format at least). That's one reason I've been buying nWOD books faster than I can digest them: research, research, research. Innocents and Danse Macabre have both proven to be real gems for ways of presenting what I had in mind.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

So much stuff...

I've only played in two WoD games so far, and I used the same character both times -- and loved it! ^^
Take one Azlu, put it through a black-ops unit so it forgets who and what it is, and add adventure...