A Stitch in Souragne: Symbols of a Fallen Loah

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A Stitch in Souragne: Symbols of a Fallen Loah

Post by Ail »

Zumba can't help look in Orda's direction as the Baron speaks, but at the last moment remembers and tries to shield his eyes. It is as he thought, and he turns back to Misroi and says

"I think the Lady would be the one to ask, but it seems obvious that she does not like the suggestion. What else do you have in mind?"

He is not at all comfortable, anything could come out of that deranged mind, and in any case it is probably not agreeable, but it would be at least vile to let Orda pay the full brunt of pleasing the Baron alone.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

A G Thing wrote:Orda listens when the Baron next speaks and she hears his story and his enjoyment of dance is obvious. She had been so curious on the act of dancing she almost missed what came after his description of his past meeting.

Misroi's next words make his actual intentions toward her quite obvious though and it both surprised and shocked her that she had missed it.

Really it was not something she heard often but it was as she now understood it just as crude as she had heard before, despite his smooth voice. No money offered or jokes at her size or color but the same look she now recognized from before. Of course she did not even remember her size and color had changed when that sudden anger rose back up just when she thought she had it under control.

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..."

Her growl is a prelude to her growing anger and it is all she is letting escape. The pleasant tone of her new voice making it sound weaker but its intention still very clear and somewhat disturbing none the less. Yet her hand gripping Goren's now has tightened unintentionally to the point it might be causing him some pain. She does not mean it but she is not fully as in control as a moment ago.

Her other hand returns to gripping the hilt of her greatsword.

She continues to look at the Baron, but now with teeth clenched in open anger. Her eyes focused on him as if waiting for him to insult her so again. She had been trying to be patient but one more word out of place and she might just snap.
Goren grips Orda's hand even as he can feel her wrath building. The man sighs, almost in exasperation, but controls himself.

"Milord, I think as Zumba has expressed, it is the lady who is first and foremost the one concerned. I presume she shall decline the offer in as much as we do object. She can speak for herself as you can clearly see."

He squeezes her hand tightly to reassure her. Speaking in a low soothing voice to Orda, he attempts to ease her anger. "Orda, forget what he says. It is not worth your wrath. We are here for a reason and hopefully he will acquiesce to our queries. Anger can bring us nothing. We are in his home and have come seeking his aid. Humor him, I say."

He smiles at her. Then turns towards the Baron.

"I presonally wouldn not be averse to entertaining you, sir. As long as it is in good taste and will not go against my beliefs.
Say we entertain you, will you help us? As previously stated, we seek the sword and the cloak. What say you, Baron?"
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Lucien cannot see faces, but he can sense the tension in the room growing. After Goren speaks, he suddenly stands up to draw the baron's attention - he doesn't want Misroi to ponder too long about the sort of "entertainment" the baron would enjoy....

"Perhaps a tale, sir," he announces. "Your gaze is limited to this realm. You are... denied the ability to view the events of other lands. If we succeed in our goal, then you'll have other visitors one day -- visitors not as kind as we are. Allow us to sate your thirst for entertainment with tales and knowledge -- knowledge that may prove useful in the long, tedious decades before you." Lucien knows that he shouldn't be mixing little verbal barbs into his words, but he can't stand Misroi's arrogance.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Misroi listens to Lucien's words and... laughs. A rich, deep belly-laugh, like liquid chocolate.
"You must think us very backwards," he says, still chuckling. "But no, I do not require any tales. I have many sources of information, some of which might surprise you... or which you might call family."

The Baron gestures curtly at the zombies, who step back, and then smiles at Orda. There is something soul-chillingly vile about that smile, especially after her display of anger.
"Careful, my dear. I do not generally allow snarling dogs at the table; those are chained up outside, under the porch."

The Baron turns his smile upon all of you. "Well, then. As you seem to have agreed to entertain me, let us have a night of feasting and fine wine. I shall arrange for music, for tomorrow... worthy and appropriate entertainments will be held. Amuse me sufficiently, my dear, dear guests, and you shall walk away with the bauble you came seeking -- and possibly something more. Fail, and... But how crass of me, to speak of such depressing matters. Come, come, eat your soup! The second course is rabbit in wine sauce; an incomporable dish, prepared by the finest chef I have ever attracted into my service."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Zumba nods curtly to the Baron. Thinkning on taking one thing at the time,

"Very well, Lord Baron. Let's eat."

Zumba prepares to endure the repugnance of whatever the meal brings, and steels himself to humour the Baron by eating his meal.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Orda was angry and her hand gripped hard Goren’s hand hard enough to hurt. She was focusedly watching this pompous and dark creature even as the others spoke to it.

While Zumba had spoken to support her she barely noticed his change in tone to try and find another way to work with Misroi. Goren also spoke up and after speaking to the baron he began to speak to her again trying to calm her. His face appeared calm yet also not and his words had her more on edge now that her anger had risen back. She in part wanted to listen to him and forget her anger and rage but she was not sure she could still do that. The fact was she did not feel in control of her anger and she had been holding back so much already she could barely begin to listen to him.

Goren going back to speaking to the baron seemed to be trying to make things work. Lucien speaking up after also spoke as if trying to change the topic. Everyone was trying to please the baron but to Orda this thing had been using its power to bully them out of boredom and at the risk of all the people of the land including them. She was almost ready to run sword in hand at the monster.

Orda had been listening to it all when the Baron spoke then to her. The insult hit home and was quite clear and also unknown perhaps to him quite cruel.

Standing suddenly her grip pulled from Goren’s hand, she grasped her sword and nearly knocked over her chair as she began to glare at him. It was a glare that lasted in a long moment of hesitation as she stared Misroi in the eyes, even as he continued to talk over her and she held her weapon.

She watched as he dismissed her entirely.

Zumba spoke as if trying to keep things calm. His words still tense despite that and yet Orda was only aware of them barely.

Her new softer voice erupted loudly switching over to her rough native tounge of voros in her anger she says…

"vy zakhodite slishkom daleko!!!"

Translation
VIEW CONTENT:
YOU GO TOO FAR!!!
Taking a single step forward, she hesitates from acting however as she feels it inside her. An anger blind and feeling uncompromisingly righteous, but also a fear that she only felt came from the eyes of those watching her. It almost felt too powerful and unstable to be real and yet she knew that in that moment all she wanted was to run across that expanse and strike out at him, kill him if possible; or to flee into the swamp terrified of what it says about her.

She began to shake with fury as her other hand grasps the hilt, but with some measure of almost near impossible effort forcefully drops the blade as if it was all she could do to stop herself from using it. She is glancing about the room focused yet almost panicked as she avoids looking at anyone. She cannot deal with what is going on anymore.

For Rock Only!
VIEW CONTENT:
Memories are flooding back and she almost feels the same as the night she broke free. Every zombies face is one she wants to cave in with her fist. Misroi while not in her vision almost seems like Menda the Grey had returned once again. She knew it was different but her mind was making it the same in her thoughts. She was no animal, but she felt like reacting like one just then. Fight or flight and she knew she wanted fight. She knew she could do neither!
She walks away from the table and begins to breathe heavily facing a wall. She does not want to look away from it and yet the fear that she is proving Misroi’s insults correct makes her shudder. The miniscule frame of her body seems to be so shaken by tremors it is hard to tell what is going on with her until she punches the wall hard.

She continues to face that way braced by her hands on the wall.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Zumba gets up, alarmed at Orda's outburst. Not looking at all at the Baron, nor even asking for permission, he raises walks around the table and goes to where Orda is hiding against the wall.

There was something in that cry that hit near home in his heart, something that reminded him of his youth and the repressed desire for freedom.

He barely touches her on the shoulder, and he whispers near her face, while looking at the floor.

"Orda, please, calm yourself. I suppose... I suppose I imagine what goes inside you. But pay no heed to the Baron, ignore him. This is a test! He is testing us, it's a rock in our path to a better self. We are playing a game, and we must overcome all the obstacles. This one is hard, but we;ll take it down too."

He tries to soothe her, and to sound as comforting as possible. But deep down, what comes up is just all the hard training and self-control of the capoeira, of the martial artist.

"It's just his game, we have to be very careful if we want to stay alive, let alone bring the sword for Souragne. He will play of us, maybe this is his sort of entertainment, maybe he is just now laughing and being merry inside. But we must play his game. Remember, it's just a fence we have to jump over. And we will! "

He holds her hand for strength, and stays silent until her emotions become more under control.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"Thank you for the food, sir," Lucien says simply, not responding to any of Misroi's verbal jabs.

His senses make him immediately aware of Orda's sudden outburst. He leans forward, ready to get up and stop her, pretense of being helpless be damned, but settles back once she halts her progress and Zumba goes to her. "Is... is she well, Zumba?" he says with concern.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The tense moment is interrupted by the clatter of dishwear.
Zombie servants come out of the kitchen, pushing a cart with covered dishes. Some of them remove the soup, both touched and untouched, and replace it with plates of gorgeous porcelain with some kind of pattern all around the edge.
Lying on the plates are dishes that Zumba will find achingly familiar; these are vegetable dishes native to Souragne, eaten by both the common and the noble, albeit with different spices. In addition, there are generous helpings of roast rabbit in a sauce that smells of fine wine.

Regardless the moment, you all find your bellies rumbling as the smell fills your noses. The body will have its way...

"Well then," Misroi says, smiling serenely. "If you will all retake your seats..."

For Orda only:
VIEW CONTENT:
The room falls away into darkness. Your friends fall away into insubstantiality. Even Misroi and his undead slaves are but shadows, lost in the gulfs of forever night.
All that is there is you... and floating in front of you, a sword.

It is by far the ugliest blade you have ever seen.
Or maybe that is not the right way to put it. This is by far the most direct sword you have ever laid eyes upon. It is all one piece, blade and hilt made of the same grey metal, with only leather straps wound around the hilt making it possible for someone to hold the thing without tearing their hand open. There are no decorations, no inscriptions, there is nothing spare about the sword. The only thing that comes close is a single groove along the blade - for the blood to run through, you assume.

The blade radiates age. It somehow stinks of old blood, despite being spotless.
It speaks to you with a voice of iron, a voice of death.
'You have now entered play to claim me in the name of my Mistress. FIND ME.'
With a shock, Misroi's dining room returns. But something is different. For a moment, you continue to smell that tainted smell of old blood and older iron. For a moment, you feel horribly cold.
"... we can continue our meal. Priest, do tuck in. You have, after all, agreed to eat."

The Baron smiles and smiles and smiles.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Orda seems to relax somewhat as the zombies come in with new plates. Or Zumba himself is distracted by them, and lets go slightly of Orda. In any case, he finds his proximity to her is no longer needed, nor appropriate. With a slight nod in her direction, he returns to the table... not completely sure he is not under some spell of Misroi.

As he returns, he finds some comfort in that the food seems... normal. He tastes just a bit, to start...
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zumba finds the food wholesome, devoid of zombie pieces... and excruciatingly delicious. This meal was truly cooked by a master of his or her craft.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Zumba is relieved to find the food so much to his taste. It is so good, that he gets even distracted from what goes around him and starts eating in earnest.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The red haired man sighs at Orda's outburst. He would be glad when they would be gone of this place. This Misroi was certainly deserving of Lathander's wrath but he would be the polite guest and refrain from any ill actions upon their guest. Thankfully, Zumba has Orda calmed and he is about to sit back from his chair when their host addresses him. That didn't mean he didn't have to hide his sentiments towards their host.
"... we can continue our meal. Priest, do tuck in. You have, after all, agreed to eat."

The Baron smiles and smiles and smiles.

"Yes Monsieur. Thank you Monsieur. Although, in my present condition, I can not see what is in front of me, so I fear I shall make a mess of your table and myself, Monsieur. Or I could eat like an uncivilized person."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Orda feeling Zumba's touch flinches but tries to calm herself a bit. Only his words kept her from spinning wildly upon him. She is breathing too fast and as his words ring in her ears and those of Lucien follow she does manage to try and focus on blocking the thoughts that are plaguing and haunting her. She only half hears or understands them but they do reach part of her that knows their meaning well.

Misroi's words cause her to tense mentally and physically but she resists the urges she feels to charge the source of that hated voice.

Still, the sudden clatter of the undead and the noise of the plates cause her to glance sharply to the side to see them enter. The smell also affects her aware of her hunger again as the food still smells good though she felt sick with anger and fear.

As Zumba walks away however, after a time she turns slowly waiting a moment to steel herself but after a single step back she seems to hesitate as if confused. After the moment passes however her feet carry her forward again a single step though she staggers for a second and looks about fearfully glancing around the room for a second. Her small hand is bruised from striking the wall and she flexes it forcing the pain to focus her even as she is shaking somewhat.

Goren speaks up and looking at the table she realizes that everyone else is enjoying the meal.

She walks back to her sword on the floor and carefully kneeling to grasp it carries it back to the table, seeming unsteady and a little jumpy on her feet. Waiting for the zombies to do their duty and place the food she glances at the Baron and just as quickly looks away. Resting the sword against the table she sits at the table and slowly prepares to eat. She looks around and while she is not very refined though she tries to use the silverware.

Her head tilted down, hands making frustrated motions across her plate she cannot grasp what is wrong with her. Orda is crying silently but she is too flustered to even realize it. She almost feels to sick to eat but she does so without any other thought, slowly.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

As the new food is laid out in front of them, Lucien says simply, "Thank you, Baron." Inwardly, he thinks, How long must this charade go on?

He knows that everyone's patience is understandably at the breaking point. Before he begins to eat, he takes his glass of wine and holds it up.

"Excuse me, a toast if I may," he says. "To my companions. Zumba - a courageous soul with the spirit of a Valachanian panther. Goren - my sometimes unintentionally humorous ally who whether by luck or divine providence manages to stumble into the noblest of actions. And Orda - I don't know you much at all, I'm afraid, but I believe that the radiance that struck me blind was simply your outer appearance reflecting the level of your tenacity and character. To you. May fortune, Ezra, and whatever other gods look down upon us guide us to success."

He moves to drink, then after waiting a moment, he adds, "Thank you again, Baron."

------------------------------------

Rock: Any chance that Lucien's touchsight can tell him anything about the food? Primarily, is it really there?
--W. Somerset Maugham