Javenloft

Online roleplaying at the Café
Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Javenloft

Post by Rexleith »

Before she had put the cards away Kamose notices Endre frantically pointing and gesturing to a few cards. Guys, it looks like the spirits really want our attention....at least about a couple of the cards drawn on the table.

Kamose moves toward the cards that Endre had pointed at It looks like the uhm...swashbuckler and the marionette. I don't really know much about card reading but if I had to hazard a guess, I would think that this is.....us. Good guys that look like bad guys, uhm, it looks like: being manipulated by someone powerful....I could only guess they mean the Dark King. At this Endre seems to be very excited and urges Kamose to the next set of cards.

The Wizard and The Dark Master.....hmm, I think this could mean Azalin himself. It seems to suggest that he is immortal and very powerful. An ancient practitioner of the arcane, It seems very factual in this, like a law.

With that Endre seems to fade into the background. He's still there. He just seemed to lose the life he previously displayed. Standing and watching. Not a twitch.....

Kamose looks to everyone around him and then to all the Vistani present Sorry, it seemed important to Endre. I had to look, I'm not even sure if I read it correctly.........
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Rexleith wrote:Kamose moves toward the cards that Endre had pointed at It looks like the uhm...swashbuckler and the marionette. I don't really know much about card reading but if I had to hazard a guess, I would think that this is.....us. Good guys that look like bad guys, uhm, it looks like: being manipulated by someone powerful....I could only guess they mean the Dark King. At this Endre seems to be very excited and urges Kamose to the next set of cards.

The Wizard and The Dark Master.....hmm, I think this could mean Azalin himself. It seems to suggest that he is immortal and very powerful. An ancient practitioner of the arcane, It seems very factual in this, like a law.

With that Endre seems to fade into the background. He's still there. He just seemed to lose the life he previously displayed. Standing and watching. Not a twitch.....
Dame Antonina smiles and nods her head at Kamose as he speaks...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To All

After tucking her Tarokka away safely among her belongings, Dame Antonina requests that everyone follow her outside… Motioning toward the night sky, she says: “It is “The Living Night”… There is no mistaking the force that is bound to Laura’s flesh, yet it is like no zsalev I have ever encountered, nor heard of… Alas! It appears that your plight has us all baffled. I am no expert on Canjar magic, though I can identify a zsalev when I see one. I can tell you that the Canjar are attributed with the ability to imbue their spells with a semblance of life, and that the sensation we all felt when the "Intruder" arrived was a telltale sign of the presence of such an entity. Unfortunately there is little more I can say for sure. Only the Canjar know what afflicts you, and they will not share their secrets with another Vistani, let alone a giorgio... But do not despair! The cards had seemed focused on entirely different dilemmas, with possible resolutions, so perhaps this “Intruder” doesn’t impact your destiny as much as it would seem... Thanks to the Tarokka, your secret has been revealed to those who may be able to help you… It is no coincidence that you chanced upon this ragtag band of ill-fated adventurers… Something has quite literally brought you all together for some purpose… It is time that you tell me more about how you all came to know one another…”
Last edited by Nemesio on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

I was a simple mortician. Amongst the dead I noticed a pattern seemed to emerge, as I researched what I discovered, it turns out the dead were victims of a vampire....or more specifically vampires. They had moved in and started killing or feeding, I guess. Anyway, I took my finding to my friend Endre. It took awhile but I was able to convince him to help me. You see, Endre was a vampire hunter in his past and although I knew he had put it in his past, eventually he relented and wanted to help.

We found the vampires' nest and assualted it with a group of like minded people....people I called friends. Well they all died, I watched Endre go down defending me. They put a hatchet in his head because "he didn't deserve unlife". I was quickly overwhelmed and lost conciousness.

When I awoke, I found myself imprisoned for murder. The original group came from these prison cells. We also had Anslem and Millicent with us as well. Things were crazy in those early days. Try putting a group of random people together and sparks will fly. However, we had all been wrongly imprisoned and had all been released by Azalin himself. Our job was simply to get the caravan to Nova Vassa. Along the way we fought a few evil creatures and discovered a vampire amongst us. Hidden in the caravan supply.

I was lucky, in prison I developed a habit of magically cleansing everything I ate. Apparently, Baukis had slipped her blood into our food. She had enthralled almost everyone. At the time, I was the only exception. I stayed bidding my time to attempt to free my friends from her influence. However, we were attacked and lost some of our original group as well as Frinkelo and the rest of the caravan guards hired to protect us. We fought as hard as we could but we all nearly lost our lives.

Friends we lost on the road and friends we gained on the road as well. Some of those friends are with us now. They saw the slaughter of the caravan as disgusting and left without ever fighting any of us. They then helped to defend us. I have no doubt we would have all been killed if not for their help that day! The rest you know, but we stand...before you now. Thus end my tale of our journey and our fallen.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Rexleith wrote:However, we had all been wrongly imprisoned and had all been released by Azalin himself. Our job was simply to get the caravan to Nova Vaasa. Along the way we fought a few evil creatures and discovered a vampire amongst us. Hidden in the caravan supply.

I was lucky, in prison I developed a habit of magically cleansing everything I ate. Apparently, Baukis had slipped her blood into our food. She had enthralled almost everyone. At the time, I was the only exception. I stayed bidding my time to attempt to free my friends from her influence. However, we were attacked and lost some of our original group as well as Frinkelo and the rest of the caravan guards hired to protect us. We fought as hard as we could but we all nearly lost our lives.
At the mention of Azalin and vampires, the Vistani seer's eyes narrow... At the mentions of her brother, Dame Antonina frowns and tears stream from her milky white eyes… She moves closer to Kamose and reaches for his hand, saying: “It is time Kamose. I must see what you have seen... Do not be afraid. Give me your hand."

After Kamose acquiesces, Antonina takes his hand and begins tracing its lines with her fingers. Her body tremors slightly and her eyes roll back as she speaks: “You see much young oracle, perhaps too much… It can be a burden to live in two worlds simultaneously, but the lifeforce within you is brighter than anything I have ever seen. You can take it... Ancient beyond your own reckoning, perhaps you were a high priest or a king in a past life. Yes. I see a far away land, the kingdom of your father’s ancestors. It beckons you home across the sands of time. It is not surprising that you have piqued Azalin’s interest…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To All

Dame Antonina releases Kamose’s hand and looks at each of you…

“If you wish to avoid eternal servitude to the “Dark Master”, you must all be honest with one another from this moment on… Darkon’s “Wizard King” has reigned since long before any of us were born. That accomplishment alone should be testament enough to his power. Beware him! A man with such tenacity will not give up until he has gotten what he wants. He is a mighty wizard with an entire kingdom at his disposal, yet he must resort to subterfuge in order to employ you as his servants?.. There are reasons for his interest in you! You must figure them out together…

"Baukis undoubtedly knows something... She keeps secrets from you… Can she not be convinced to not betray her master?”

At her last comments, Antonina smiles mischievously…
Last edited by Nemesio on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Null had been standing beside the entrance in shadow, for he did not wish to provoke anything. The entire time Laura had been experiencing the reading, he wanted to rush to her side and pull her away from Antonina before she harmed her again. Still, when the name Baukis was mentioned, he could not help but speak up.

Stepping out of the shadows, the archer finally spoke up. "Are you saying we are to turn her against her own master? The magic I have has the potential, once I grow in power, to scry people with such effectiveness, I would know everything about them. Azalin is most likely scrying upon us this very moment. The instant we try to turn his precious beauty against him will be our own undoing," Null said worriedly. "I've lived in the Dark City for many years and know the shadow of his power quite intimately. We are not powerful enough to challenge him, let alone tease him with such annoyances as converting his servants."

Glancing over at the paleness that was Laura, all Null could think about was the task he had been given. Sure, she endangered everyone present, but he was more than equipped to deal with whatever spirit haunted her waking dreams. He had Mother at his side, and nothing would stop him from purging his own curse. If he could find a means of undoing the corruption within himself, he was most assuredly capable of ridding Laura of her's. All it takes is patience.

Continuing his train of thought, Null said, "I suggest we travel farther from his grasp to lands he may never reach. I'm sure there are people who have never even heard his name, with nations so untouched by him that we might finally be rid of him. What say you?"
Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

Nemesio wrote:
Rexleith wrote:
At the mention of Azalin and vampires, the Vistani seer's eyes narrow... At the mentions of her brother, Dame Antonina frowns and tears stream from her milky white eyes… She moves closer to Kamose and reaches for his hand, saying: “It is time Kamose. I must see what you have seen... Do not be afraid. Give me your hand."

After Kamose acquiesces, Antonina takes his hand and begins tracing its lines with her fingers. Her body tremors slightly and her eyes roll back as she speaks: “You see much young oracle, perhaps too much… It can be a burden to live in two worlds simultaneously, but the lifeforce within you is brighter than anything I have ever seen. You can take it... Ancient beyond your own reckoning, perhaps you were a high priest or a king in a past life. Yes. I see a far away land, the kingdom of your father’s ancestors. It beckons you home across the sands of time. It is not surprising that you have piqued Azalin’s interest…

To All

Dame Antonin releases Kamose’s hand and looks at each of you…

“If you wish to avoid eternal servitude to the “Dark Master”, you must all be honest with one another from this moment on… Darkon’s “Wizard King” has reigned since long before any of us were born. That accomplishment alone should be testament enough to his power. Beware him! A man with such tenacity will not give up until he has gotten what he wants. He is a mighty wizard with an entire kingdom at his disposal, yet he must resort to subterfuge in order to employ you as his servants?.. There are reasons for his interest in you! You must figure them out together…

“Baukis undoubtedly knows something... She keeps secrets from you… Can she not be convinced to not betray her master?”

At her last comments, Antonina smile mischievously…

I did not mean to make you cry. I'm sorry for that. I should have been more thoughtful. Kamose looks to her and brings up a hankerchief to wipe her eyes with. A friend named Dimmer convinced me to re-outfit myself along our journey. I never used it and I'd like you to have it. It's a small thing, just a gesture of friendship and understanding during a time of loss.

I have questions for you but I would wait until a more appropriate time. I felt very nervous coming here, I've experienced many frauds in the fortune-telling business. You are not a fraud and it warms my heart.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Zilfer wrote:"Misfortune seems to follow me where ever I go. I'm hoping this doesn't develop into a reoccurring theme," said Felix speaking Vaasi which he figured Mikhailov would understand well enough. "We travel with a Vampire who is most likely the cause of his duress. She must have turned his son fully over into a vampire which means we have two vampires to deal with... Your wife has warned me against Baukis, though she had done nothing besides self preservation and protected our hides more than once on the road. I could see that she might have just done that as convenience to disguise her passage and to help protect herself. She is too strong however to take alone with just us, we would need assistance...."
At the mention of his son, Obregg shoves off Felix and Mikhailov, saying: “I’m fine! I can… Walk by myself… I’m going back! I need to talk to her!"

Felix and Mikhailov watch in astonishment as Obregg picks himself up, and walks back towards Anontina’s tent. He is striding with a purpose, upright and straight as an arrow, as if he hadn’t just passed out in a puddle of his own vomit… Not wanting to wrestle with the man, the two simply follow him, eying him intently in a vain attempt to gauge his soberness…
Zilfer wrote:Felix briefly contemplates asking for assistance from the Vistani here but no doubt they would not want to endanger themselves in such a task. Let alone he wasn't sure he could ask them, since they belonged to a childhood friend of his. He frowned for a moment.

"I remember about forty years of Il Aluk academy and I wonder how long Dame Antonio knew me when I was younger, it sounds like I knew the Equaar well is the impression she gave me..." said Felix sounding a bit disappointed that he couldn't remember much. "I don't suppose I could know Antonio's full name?"
“Ey?.. Ah yes… Her full name is Antonina Tatishchev… Oh! I understand now. You are "the elf boy"! You and she were friends once… My wife has a great memory…”
Last edited by Nemesio on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"Tatishchev..." said Felix trailing off a bit. Some more of it came back to him, he could remember local boys picking on her not only because of her Vistani heritage but because she was blind as well. They had thrown rocks, and called her a freak of nature. That had appealed to Felix when he had been younger, for he knew what it was like. Human's couldn't understand what was different then them, they didn't have long life spans and what short time living they had made it all the harder to correct behaviors through the generations.

He had driven off the human boys, since he was known for his prowess with a stick. They ran away once 'Knife Ears' had shown up. Felix had since taken that racist slur as a sign of pride back then knowing that they were just trying to hurt his feelings. Well he wouldn't show them any sign of weakness. Afterwards he was unsure of the nature of Vistani so he was weary of the girl he had saved but she couldn't see so he couldn't leave her out playing in the forest alone. Felix knew the nearby forests of Barovia pretty well even though his mother and father had told him many times not to play in the woods. Evil undead and werewolves frequented them, and if the stories his mother told him were true they ate kids that were alone in the forest. He didn't want that to happen to the Vistani girl so he lead her home to the strange people that were Vistani....

"Thank you," said Felix before heading out to see most of them had been gathered outside already. He looked around questioningly before taking his place at the side of everyone. He wasn't sure exactly what was going on at the moment but he'd wager a guess or two.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Nemesio wrote:At the mention of his son, Obregg shoves off Felix and Mikhailov, saying: “I’m fine! I can… Walk by myself… I’m going back! I need to talk to her!"

Felix and Mikhailov watch in astonishment as Obregg picks himself up, and walks back towards Anontina’s tent. He is striding with a purpose, upright and straight as an arrow, as if he hadn’t just passed out in a puddle of his own vomit… Not wanting to wrestle with the man, the two simply follow him, eying him intently in a vain attempt to gauge his soberness…
Seeing Obregg striding over, Dame Antonina steps up to meet him, saying: “Ah! You are feeling much better I see!”

With Felix and Mikhailov standing close behind him, Obregg reaches out his hands and says: “Good evening Madame… You can “see” things about people right? Well I’m transparent as ever! Take a look! My life feels like it is unraveling before my eyes! I need to know whether my past will be catching up with me sooner than later... I know about my son now! Grim’s Brew got me thinking straight again… All I’ve done over the ears has come to nothing, all the running and cheating and stealing and shit has just come to be a total waste of his life! My son is gone! So?.. How soon will the bill come due? How quickly will I have to face the depths of misery I’ve banked up over the years in trying to protect what has now become a whisp of smoke?”

Antonina takes Obregg's hands gently into her own and looks him straight in the eyes.

"It is true that you are a good man and a loving father Obregg, and that over the years you did all you could for your son, including many questionable things that you are now forced to live with... One such deed I will not mention here and now, but you owe it to your son to right the wrong and lay his soul to rest!.."

"Upon hearing Antonina's final words, Obregg's knees begin to shake. Moments later he crumples to the ground, dry heaving and grimacing with despair, but he has no tears left..."
Last edited by Nemesio on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Felix puts a hand on Obergg again letting him know he is there. "Don't worry, I'll talk with Baukis when we get back. I'll find out why she did that to your son," said Felix reassuringly before facing the seer once more. It troubled him that Obergg had to do so much to hide his son's nature, though again he could understand. Most of the party when they had found a vampire in their midst had tried to react violently against her, and being PART vampire must have been worse. Being labeled something you aren't...

Somehow he thought he felt a hand on his shoulder as well for a moment... but only just for a moment. He looked but saw nothing, and so he turned his focus back to the situation at hand. It looked like everyone but Null had been told, and now it was time to scrape the surface of him. Then they would go back to the celebration, and then eventually they'd head back to that castle.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Null had retreated once more into the background as soon as he'd found his speech unheard. Reality must be faced in some way and better for those involved to meet it head on than let it clip you from the sit. With Obregg entering the room and the little episode he'd brought with him, a wave of uncomfortability crashed over him as he quickly realized he was the last to be read. My curse is worse than her's, and if she reads into mine, surely it will crush her, he thought. Let's get this over with. I'm glad there is still something I can do.

Taking a step forward, again, Null brought out the wolf's head talisman he wore around his neck. Holding it closely, he prayed to Mother that this reading wouldn't be so draining upon the oracle, for his past was surely something he did not wish anyone to see. "I guess, since you've read everyone else, it is my turn? There is a simple spell I wish to place upon you so as to protect you from my past. It is particularly haunting, and I'd rather wish you stay safe from my memories rather than be marred by them."
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Metaflux wrote:Taking a step forward, again, Null brought out the wolf's head talisman he wore around his neck. Holding it closely, he prayed to Mother that this reading wouldn't be so draining upon the oracle, for his past was surely something he did not wish anyone to see. "I guess, since you've read everyone else, it is my turn? There is a simple spell I wish to place upon you so as to protect you from my past. It is particularly haunting, and I'd rather wish you stay safe from my memories rather than be marred by them."
Antonina tries unsuccessfully to console Obregg…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upon hearing Null’s words, she directs her gaze upon him.

“I will tell you what I see, but first you must draw back your hood. No more secrets half-man. Show us your true face!”
Last edited by Nemesio on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Looking to the others for some kind of excuse to keep his hood up, Null found none. It was almost as if the very shroud of nightly clouds blew away by a breeze. Then, there gazed the moon to pierce through the illusory veil that was the magic he used. "I guess...I will comply. Please, forgive me for my appearance."

Casting back his hood so that his face clearly showed, Null knelt down before the oracle in preparation for her orders. Yellowed tusks thrust forth from his jowls. His nose stretched upwards like a bat's. Black hair grew thick and shoulder length, hiding the sides of his face in shadow. Figuring he'd let go of the veil completely, Null let the illusion across his eyes fade.

For so long had he kept them hidden. For so long had he felt an ache behind his eyes that kept him awake more nights than he could ever fathom. Sometimes, the ache grew to a migraine of such proportions only medicinal remedies cast some form of relief. When Null let his eyes free though, it was as if he could see the very life force of everything around him. Gold lines formed the veins of those he gazed upon. If they were particularly full of vigor, the whole of their body shown bright like a light, but that light shown no reflection upon any surface, nor did it cast any relief from the shadows of night. Still, this day was different, and for once, he was given permission to show who he was without repercussion.

With a touch of will, and a minor thought, the ache was gone, and Null's true eyes shown. A deep and clear breath he took and so great a feeling it brought! Such relief that he smiled and almost felt a chuckle bubble up, but just as the excitement of the moment came, so it would pass.

Glowing yellow and menacing through the shadow of his hair, the beast before the oracle lowered his head and stared downward in shame so as not to scare the woman before him. Lengthy nails similar to claws lay flat on each side of his forward leg. His lips tried urgently to cover the teeth that the minor tusks forced to be shown. Slight hair grew all over both arms as a weed overcomes even the thickest of forests. And last, but not opaque enough to be forgotten, pointed ears forcing their way through the mane of hair seemed to flatten themselves in fear. They looked like elven ears, but wider with more ridges, and somehow, they reflected the impatience and discomfort he felt.

"I hope my appearance does not deter you," he said patiently.
Last edited by Metaflux on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grimquest
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Grimquest »

Grim tries to catch Null's attention to give him a reassuring nod and a smile. He can see his new friend is uncomfortable and empathizes with his current situation. He then resumes scanning the room and his surroundings
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Metaflux wrote: "I hope my appearance does not deter you," he said patiently.
Dame Antonina winces and her eyes roll back in her head, as she takes Null's beastly hands into her own…

"I see that despite your unusual visage, you are a good man Nullraithian Venastis. Nevertheless you can no longer distinguish yourself from a monster... The evil with which you have wrestled for much of your adult life is very old... Ancient in fact... I can see that you are surprised, but it is true! You are twice cursed!

First, as you know, you carry the dread disease, passed down though five generations of relatives. You might even take solace in the fact that your lycanthropy lies dormant, but others of your kind will always be able to identify you as one of their own. Beware!..

Second, long ago, an evil entity attached itself to your family! Unfortunately, I cannot see how this came to be, but know it to be true... The same dark urges that trouble you, have plagued certain individuals in your family for generations... A family twice cursed, but stronger for it. You owe much of your extraordinary willpower to ones who came before you. They often struggled in vain, but you could be different... Do not forget them... They may still be a source of strength for you...

Do not judge yourself too harshly Null. You are wise to keep your true nature a secret, but you cannot change what you are, and must learn to accept that fact, and yourself. Otherwise you cannot expect anyone else to do the same... There are many who will find themselves unable to accept you, but there are also others who could... I am sorry I can offer you little comfort Null, but these temporary allies of yours have accepted you, and they have troubles of their own... Perhaps you could look out for one another..."