Birthright Chapter Nine

Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Birthright Chapter Nine

Post by VAN »

"Well, Captain Rennault suggested that maybe the Archpelate can get him back from the dead. Even if to be honest none of us would like to have a creep like Riegon back to living but alas we need him to save Cormac and to get more information about Carilon. I was thinking that maybe there is a spell that can create an illusion that looks like Riegon and can also talk. Maybe Lady Safana can cast that spell I don't know, I have heard she is able to cast illusions and we have all witnessed her power invisibility spell. I don't know maybe there is a divine spell that can help us as well I don't really know how spells work. I'm also able to change my appearance and look like Riegon but the problem is that he is very tall, I can get max 4.0 and he is 6.0... "
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Renn presses silver into the hands of the departing guards. "Men who know when to stay silent can go far in this service. Be discreet about what you've seen here tonight, and your silence will be rewarded, not just in silver."

He returns to the Dungeon, seeing Sir Rory and the cat here once again, and he grimaces. Still, he makes the same deal with the other two guards who witnessed Riegon's passing: silver for silence.

"If Carilon learns of this death," he says to the group, "We've got more to worry about than Cormac's fate. With Riegon out of the way there's nothing stopping Carilon from consolidating his power. At the very least, we need to keep up some kind of ruse."

He looks to Filbert. "I know you've no small skill with disguise. If only you were taller..." He frowns. "Much as I hate to bring more people in on this, I think we must speak with Safana. See if her illusions can augment your skills, Filbert. If so, we might be able to trick Carilon long enough to get Cormac back. If this war's about to escalate, we'll need his spells."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

In a dungeon far away, Cormac curls up on his cot, shivering against the cold as a weak trickle of rain starts outside, or perhaps at the memory of the cold metal against his skin from moments earlier.

He quietly hopes that, despite all reason, his friends are doing all they can in Haes to get him out of this place.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE DUNGEONS/CELLARS OF CAER HAES

Sir Rory tells Lord Filbert,

“You should have attacked to subdue, not to kill or wound. In Tuornen we have courts for justice. If Lord Riegon was indeed guilty of heinous crimes, no doubt our duke’s justice would have sent him to the headsman’s block in due time. “

He shakes his gray head.

“Your good character has long been known to me. Because of that, and because Duke Devlin has elevated you in rank, I will accept your pledge of good conduct from now on as sufficient to allow you liberty of the castle.”

He looks over to Renn, Roald, and Foerde.
“Gentlemen, let me remind you all that I am the Castellan of Caer Haes, and as such I am responsible for the safety of prisoners in this dungeon. I will of course allow His Holiness to view the corpse and see what, if anything, his divine favor may accomplish.”

The old knight crosses his arms.

“But I’ll have no lies, deception, mummery, or sorcery being used to conceal Lord Riegon’s slaying. Barring his miraculous return from death, I will have no choice but to go and tell the Alamien messenger that Lord Riegon has been slain while attempting to escape. I will then send the remains home to Lofton for burial.
Anyone who interferes with my orders will be expelled from this castle, regardless of rank.”

The guards in the dungeon move closer to the castellan.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:CORMAC

In a dungeon far away, Cormac curls up on his cot, shivering against the cold as a weak trickle of rain starts outside, or perhaps at the memory of the cold metal against his skin from moments earlier.

He quietly hopes that, despite all reason, his friends are doing all they can in Haes to get him out of this place.

The door opens again, but this time the visitor isn't the creepy interrogator. A middle-aged brunette in a blue court gown and silver jewelry enters, holding her skirt up a bit with dainty hands, to keep the hem from brushing the dirty dungeon cell floor.
The woman smiles at Cormac. While she's no great beauty by conventional standards, there is a certain warmth and openness in her expression that's quite different from anyone else Cormac has met in Caer Alam.

"I am Lady Merraele of House Haesrien, Duke Devlin's ambassador to Duke Carilon's court."

A burly guard clad in a coat of mail and wearing a long sword at his hip brings a folding stool in for the women to sit. He sets up the stool and stands in the back of the cell after the door has been closed and locked.

Once seated, the lady continues.
"As you might expect, the war has placed certain constraints on my movements, communications, and activities."
She turns just a bit and inclines her head ever so slightly towards the large, impassive guard at her back.
Focusing once more on Cormac, she adds,
"But of course all the attention is for my own protection."

Merraele folds her hands on her lap.

"When I learned that you were being held prisoner, I insisted on being allowed to see you. Are you being treated well?"

The guard behind her scowls at Cormac, raising his fists to make a threatening gesture while Merraele isn't looking at him.

"Is there anything that you need?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He opens his eyes wide.

"Wha' do I need?" he laughs, "I got captured doin' a service fer a Duke tha' ain' even my Lord. Wha' I need is to get out o' this dungeon an back to my people in Ghonallison, where I shoulda stayed in the firs' place."

He shrugs. "I was captured leadin' a raid into enemy lands an' kidnappin' a noble, rebel though he may be. All things considered, I can't say as I've been mistreated, given wha' I expected when they caught me."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DUNGEONS OF LOFTON
Adam wrote:He opens his eyes wide.

"Wha' do I need?" he laughs, "I got captured doin' a service fer a Duke tha' ain' even my Lord. Wha' I need is to get out o' this dungeon an back to my people in Ghonallison, where I shoulda stayed in the firs' place."

He shrugs. "I was captured leadin' a raid into enemy lands an' kidnappin' a noble, rebel though he may be. All things considered, I can't say as I've been mistreated, given wha' I expected when they caught me."

Lady Merraele nods.

"I will work for your release. I cannot promise success, but I will try my best."
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"There are very few priests that can truly return life to corpse, Lord Filbert. Even if the Gods do grant such a favor upon their high priests, the ritual may not work." Foerde says. "While I do not doubt the Archprelates divine connection with Haelyn and his blessings, I have never heard of Haelyn granting such a favor."

ewancummins wrote: He looks over to Renn, Roald, and Foerde.
“Gentlemen, let me remind you all that I am the Castellan of Caer Haes, and as such I am responsible for the safety of prisoners in this dungeon. I will of course allow His Holiness to view the corpse and see what, if anything, his divine favor may accomplish.”

The old knight crosses his arms.

“But I’ll have no lies, deception, mummery, or sorcery being used to conceal Lord Riegon’s slaying. Barring his miraculous return from death, I will have no choice but to go and tell the Alamien messenger that Lord Riegon has been slain while attempting to escape. I will then send the remains home to Lofton for burial.
Anyone who interferes with my orders will be expelled from this castle, regardless of rank.”

The guards in the dungeon move closer to the castellan.
Turning his attention to Sir Rory, Foerde listens to the old knight and nods his agreement. "I agree with you Sir Rory, when I said we must deal with fall out with this situation I did not intend to use trickery or sorcery. We shall do what is right and honorable, lest we become like our enemy across the river."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CAER HAES, DUNGEON
The Castellan tells the cat-man,
"Foerde, you seem to get on fairly well with His Holiness despite sectarian differences. I wouldn't object to having a wise cleric like you present when I speak with him. He ought to be here very soon, if he hasn't just arrived at the palace."
He flicks his eyes towards the others.
"You are all invited, as well."

To the guards he says,
"Lock Lord Riegon's remains in that cell and allow no one to touch the corpse until I get back and tell you it's alright. No one. Report anything out of order to me. "

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Caer Haes, Dungeon

"Yes, well unlike some of my fellow brothers I choose to set aside my differences in times of war or great strife for the greater good. I can resume bickering and fist fights with the Haelynites once the war is over." Foerde says, then offers Sir Rory a smile. "I will gladly join you."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Caer Haes, Dungeon

"Yes, well unlike some of my fellow brothers I choose to set aside my differences in times of war or great strife for the greater good. I can resume bickering and fist fights with the Haelynites once the war is over." Foerde says, then offers Sir Rory a smile. "I will gladly join you."
"Good."

Sir Rory turns and heads for the stairs...

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Foerde turns and follows Sir Rory.
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ROALD, CAER HAES.

When Roald arrives and see's Riegon's body, a scowl of irritation appears of his face. Well shit. He rubs the bridge of his nose between his two fingers. "Huh, well, Alvar's going to be disappointed. Which means Duke Carlion's going to be disappointed. Cormac is as good as dead."

He points at Filbert. "Unless, of course, the halfling who started this mess could walk through hell and rescue him."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

MEETING THE ARCHPRELATE, DUCAL PALACE AT CAER HAES

His Holiness, Rhobher Nichaleir, Archpelate of the Western Imperial Temple sits at the council table, reading a small book.
A half-dozen lightly armored temple swordsmen dressed in crimson tabards stands behind their master, hands casually resting on the hilts of their rapiers.

The silver-haired priest looks up as Sir Rory and Foerde enter the room.
He closes the little book and fastens its gilt clasp.

"Sir Rory, I came as soon as my duties permitted. How may I aid you, old friend?"

The Castellan advances, bows, and kisses the cleric's finger ring. Straightening up and stepping back, the gray-bearded castellan speaks in grave tones,
"Your Holiness, I had hoped you would help us interrogate Lord Riegon Alam. But now Riegon is dead, slain while attempting to escape. Lord Filbert struck a hasty blow, you see. "

The Archprelate presses his lips into a firm line. Blood rises to his pale, clean-shaven cheeks. His nostrils flare. He lets out a slow breath.
"The unnatural storm."

Sir Rory nods his head. "Aye, 'twas bloodtheft."

The Archprelate stands, smoothing his red robes with his hands. He paces the floor as he speaks,
"Duke Carilon will charge that Lord Filbert murdered Lord Riegon in order to steal his blood power. And who knows if that's not the truth?
Lord Filbert had better come to me and answer my questions. If I determine that he's telling the truth, and I'm satisfied that he intended no evil, I will try to persuade Duke Carilon not to press the issue. Lord Riegon appears to have been plotting rebellion against his brother. That may count in Lord Filbert's favor."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

"Do ye know, are they goin' to make the exchange?" Cormac shrugs. "Seems like everybody wants this Riegon fella' dead. Don' really unnerstand why it matters who kills him."