Online roleplaying at the Café
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Birthright Chapter Nine

Post by VAN »

MEETING THE ARCHPRELATE, DUCAL PALACE AT CAER HAES

Filbert lowers his head and says:

"Thank you for your kindness Sir Rory. I know what I did was wrong and since I created this mess I would like to talk with Archpelate as well and hope he understands that wasn't intentional and gibe me mercy."

The halfling follows Sir Rory and Foerde to Archpelate. When he asked to see him Filbert steps forward and says:

"I'm here Your Holiness."

Then bows and kisses the cleric's ring trying to show more respectful attitude possible. Unsure if he has to speak first or has to wait the Archpelate to talk first he waits to be spoken to.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The Archprelate removes a tiny steel bowl from his robes. He also removes a crystal tube, from which he pours a thin stream of golden powder into the steel container. Raising his hands over Lord Filbert, he intones a prayer in an oddly familiar yet difficult to comprehend language
VIEW CONTENT:
Old Andu

When he has finished the brief ritual, the high cleric begins to interrogate Lord Filbert about the raid to capture Riegon and the events that followed leading up to Filbert killing Riegon, The prelate issues questions rapid-fire, and pointedly ignores interruptions from any of Filbert's friends who are present.

Golden mist rises from the container during the interrogation.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ROALD, MEETING WITH THE ARCHPRELATE.

Roald watches the Archprelate interrogate Filbert, but making no comment.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

MEETING WITH ARCHPRELATE

Renn stands, his arms folded across his chest, and tries in vain to determine the purpose of the bowl or of the mist surrounding it. He is still furious with Sir Rory. Although he cannot fault the man for doing his job, the old fool's dedication to honesty above all else puts the realm in danger by Renn's estimate, and as he watches the interrogation he tries to think of a way to polish this dung heap.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Ben
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Ben »

Morgan, Haes
Morgan enters the gates of Haes just before midday, after having had a rather annoying boat ride with a chatty merchant up the Tuor River. The guard disguise tucked safely away in his pack for later use, he makes his way to see The Duke and brief him on the going-ons in Lofton.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

MEETING WITH THE ARCHPRELATE

Golden mist lifts from the bowl in a thin plume.

The Archprelate looms over Lord Filbert, questioning the Half-Man for close to fifteen minutes. The substance of his exacting, well-informed questions might suggest that he already knows some of the information. He obtains a lot of information about the party's pursuit of Riegon, the nobleman's confession, the escape attempt, and Filbert's intent in attacking Riegon.
When the questioning has ended, His Holiness leans back, head bowed in thought.
The trail of olden vapor puffing out of the steel bowl fades and dies.

After a moment of silence, the Archprelate speaks,

"It would have been better had Lord Riegon faced justice in a court of law."

He puts away the now-empty bowl.

"You acted in haste, with passion clouding your judgment, but I do not think you are a murderer."

The stately priest sits down in ruffle of silken robes.

" I will draft a message to Duke Carilon. Coming from me, framed with religious and courtly language, this news may do less damage than a blunt soldierly declaration or a mocking jibe."

He eyes Sir Roald, lips creased with a slight frown.

" I think it best if a temple barge conveys this message, and not boatmen working for the Warden of the Tuor. "

At a whispered command from Sir Rory, a page hastens to bring writing materials.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ben wrote:Morgan, Haes
Morgan enters the gates of Haes just before midday, after having had a rather annoying boat ride with a chatty merchant up the Tuor River. The guard disguise tucked safely away in his pack for later use, he makes his way to see The Duke and brief him on the going-ons in Lofton.
The chatty merchant tells Morgan that Duke Devlin left the city a couple of days ago, marching north with a company of swordsmen and has yet to return.
The merchant breaks off his story when lightning flashes out of a clear sky over Haes, and thunder booms. In a moment, dark rain clouds have gathered over the caste, but oddly enough not the rest of the city. The spot of bad weather seems totally unlike the summery breezes and clear skies that prevail today.

After landfall, Morgan hastens through the out-wall quarter to the Fish Market just within the River Gate. There Morgan hears much speculation about what might be happening on Devlin's campaign. One burly, black-bearded man argues that by now, Devlin has conquered northern Alamie. A crone predicts disaster, and warns of Devlin's capture by goblins. "Saw it in a dream, I did, and my dreams always come true!"
No one seems to have anything solid or reliable.
There's some vague talk of an important prisoner being held in Caer Haes, but that's overshadowed by rumors about the young duke and his northern campaign and talk of the sudden shift in the weather above Caer Haes.
Morgan overhears two girls gossiping about "His Holiness" and "the castle"(which rises very near the market). The older girl hands sloshing leather buckets full of pink crayfish to a younger; who carefully places these containers in a handcart. The younger girl asks the older one, "Do you think he's gone to counsel them castle folks about that strange storm?"

Looking up, Morgan sees that the unnatural storm has since faded, although traces of mist hang over the battlements.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:CORMAC

"Do ye know, are they goin' to make the exchange?" Cormac shrugs. "Seems like everybody wants this Riegon fella' dead. Don' really unnerstand why it matters who kills him."

Mirraele replies,

"Of course it matters who kills him. He's a nobleman, and more than that the Duke's only living brother."

She shifts a little on her stool.

"But I take it by your accent you are from north of the mountains. Maybe things are different there."

She frowns.

" Your best hope for staying alive is the sympathy of your friends back in Tuornen. To be blunt, if they are cold-blooded about this, they will decide that your life isn't worth giving over Lord Riegon. For your sake, let's hope they aren't so ruthless...

Again, I'll do what I can to better your condition. Perhaps I can prevail upon His Grace to show you mercy in light of the brave deeds you have done, which while not undertaken in his service, have actually helped his cause."

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:MEETING WITH THE ARCHPRELATE

He eyes Sir Roald with a slight frown.

" I think it best if a temple barge conveys this message, and not boatmen working for the Warden of the Tuor."
Roald bows his head. "Of course, Your Holiness. Should Carlion's messanger, Alvar, also return to Alamie by temple barge?"
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:MEETING WITH THE ARCHPRELATE

He eyes Sir Roald with a slight frown.

" I think it best if a temple barge conveys this message, and not boatmen working for the Warden of the Tuor."
Roald bows his head. "Of course, Your Holiness. Should Carlion's messanger, Alvar, also return to Alamie by temple barge?"

The priest nods.

"Yes, I think so. ''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

"Aye, well, since there's no rebellion now an' Riegon's monster is dead, I'd say I did do the man a fair bit o' service."

He grumbles, slumping down against his bed. "Still, I don' see much chance o' anyone goin' out of their way fer someone like me. Guess I'm on my own. Thanks fer yer help, I guess."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:CORMAC

"Aye, well, since there's no rebellion now an' Riegon's monster is dead, I'd say I did do the man a fair bit o' service."

He grumbles, slumping down against his bed. "Still, I don' see much chance o' anyone goin' out of their way fer someone like me. Guess I'm on my own. Thanks fer yer help, I guess."

Lady Merraele rises from her chair.

"I take my duties seriously, Master Rogerson. When I said I would help you, I meant it. You are not on your own."

With that, she turns towards the door.

The guard by the closed door stands and watches Cormac.

Someone unlocks and opens the door from the other side...

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac scratches at his beard.

"Well, guess it's visitin' hours."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert replies the Archprelate's questions with honesty hoping the cleric can see that he acted hastily and made a poor decision but he didn't actually wanted to murder Riegon. So when Archprelate actually confirmed all that he halfling feels relieved. He knows that still he has to hear from Duke Carlion that will not be that happy that has lost the bloodpower which for sure was planning to gain but Filbert hopes that the Archeprelate's words might help. Looking down, clearly embarrassed he says:

"Thank you for believing I'm not a murderer your Holiness. I have to wait in palace till I hear from you?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Filbert replies the Archprelate's questions with honesty hoping the cleric can see that he acted hastily and made a poor decision but he didn't actually wanted to murder Riegon. So when Archprelate actually confirmed all that he halfling feels relieved. He knows that still he has to hear from Duke Carlion that will not be that happy that has lost the bloodpower which for sure was planning to gain but Filbert hopes that the Archeprelate's words might help. Looking down, clearly embarrassed he says:

"Thank you for believing I'm not a murderer your Holiness. I have to wait in palace till I hear from you?"

"Not on my authority, no."
The Archprelate turns to look at Sir Rory, who shakes his head.
Rhobher says, "Do your duty to Duke Devlin as you think best, Lord Filbert. Please take care to remember the law."