Wil nods. "Yes, I'd rather not see what other surprises are lurking out here."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Chronicles of Vieliria

Post by alhoon »

Under Wil's guidance the group makes very good speed all things considered. They all decide to skip the first road stop in order to reach Mierana, the town they're headed for, before nightfall. The mists have thinned enough to allow visibility to nearly half a mile, giving the impression they're in a gigantic room with light gray walls of roiling shapes.

In the afternoon they are closing in the small sleepy town of Mierana, passing the surrounding farms. They are now again on paved road instead of the marked path they've been following so far. The band draws looks from the farmers which linger on the dwarf. Mierana is also surrounded by a sturdy wooden wall and the gates are guarded by men in scale or leather armor, halberds and crossbows.
Once the group is within a few hundred yards from the gates, Jean Matheron rushes forward on his horse to state their business with the gate guards. The guards open both of the wooden doors that blocked the gate for the group to enter.
Jean returns to the group and tells them "We're supposed to make a special knot on our personal weapons so they can't be drawn easily in anger; a peace-knot as it is called. It is required of all visitors that are not under command of my uncle. I will show you how to do it."
Jean demostrates on his rapier how to make an elegant knot that would delay the drawing of weapon for several seconds. Arneau and Serge follow suit. Boiros also ties a peaceknot, of a different kind; it seems such things aren't uncommon in this land.
The levies, officially under Mierana's lord jurisdiction now and part of his army aren't required to make a peaceknot.

After peaceknots are done, the group is allowed to pass the gates. As the partry and the levies pass through, Roddek is again openly stared upon. Once through the gates, they find themselves in a large open space behind the walls; it seems the town walls were designed with growth in mind. Children play there in the late afternoon sun although they move away from the armed men or stand there to look with curiosity the noble, the anchorite warden, the armored dwarf and the great sword in Wil's back. As usual, mothers are quick to take their children away from a group of armed strangers.

Jean addresses the group. "Thank you for your assistance. I have to lead my father's men to the barracks so they can settle in for the night. I'll make sure to inform my uncle, Eraffreu Alfeden, of your bravery and of course, of Lord's Greyaxe noble heritage. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you'll find the citizens of Mierana as accepting of your noble's title as my father was Lord Greyaxe.
I suggest that you spend the night in the "Rooms of heaven" inn. I'll send Serge to inform them of your stay there if you agree. All your expenses are on me. It's the least I can do after you dealt with the incident in the woods. Also Wilfred of Falkovnia, I haven't forgot our pledge to you that you'll be recompensated for guiding the levies through the woods.
May Ezra protect you all and I hope we meet again. If not, may you find shelter and safe passage to whatever land you want to go to."
Looking at Garret he added. "I'll ask my father if he knows of a way to leave this land as soon as I get back. I am sorry for the stress put on you while traveling with us."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Farewell Jean Matehron, may Ezra protect you and the levies."

When Jean leaves with the levies Boiros looks around and when he is sure that they are alone he says to the others:

"I prefer to go to the Ezra's temple and tell them about Panorin right away. The anchorites should know that a Zevarzia spawn is around and the dread place needs to be consecrated. If you can take a room for me at the tavern and I will meet you there soon except of course if you want to come with me."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Naliamegod
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Naliamegod »

*gets a little shaken up at the mention of what happened in the first* Go ahead. I think I need a few drinks.. I also haven't gotten much sleep since then
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Wil looks to Roddek. "How about it, dwarf lord? Drink a round to celebrate our victory over the abomination?"

George R.R. Martin.
Roddek
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Roddek »

Roddek nods and grins widely. "Ale tastes best just after the fight. First one to find the tavern drinks free!"

It might not be evident to all, especially underneath Roddek's beard, but he looks a bit paler than normal and occasionally he falters as he walks.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Garret, Roddek and Wil move around the town in the late afternoon looking for the inn. The streets aren't busy and the few people working their gardens look to the armed travelers with a mix of curiosity and tredipitation.

Suddenly a gruff voice cuts to them:
"Wilfred? Is that you?"
The group turns to see a dwarf with a dark brown long beard braided in two halves and his equaly long hair braided in a long thick braid. The dwarf smiles as he approaches Wil and the others. He tells to the group "This man here, risked his life defying his king's orders to save me a few others like me. If he was arrested saving "subhuman slaves" as we were called in his native land, he would have been impaled alive after hours of torture. And yet he did it. When the hounds of our pursuers were close, he shot them with this arrows.
He's one of good humans. I owe my freedom to him"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wil smiles back to the dwarf. "Bavuar? Well, it's good to see a familiar face in this land. Do you live here now?"

George R.R. Martin.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The dwarf corrects the man with a smile "It's Barvur. No appologies necessary, we met briefly more than 10 years ago. I don't expect you to remember every single person you saved from that atrocious place but I will certainly remember Wilfred the Guide till the day I will close my eyes.
Yes, I live in Vieliria now. Not as tolerant as Darkon but far less undead to worry about. Shortly after you left us in Darkon, I fell in with a band of vistani seeking work and the mists brought us some miles North. Then one day some wild men driven by hate attacked the caravan and in the confusion, I got lost. The attackers were probably followers of that insane witch that plagued the place 10 years ago causing havoc."
Barvur turned his gaze on Roddek and gave a respectful bow, left hand over his heart. "Welcome to Misheril my Lord. You're the first dwarf noble I've ever seen but your grace and superior upbringing are evident. A few words of advice from someone that spent the last 10 years here. Most people in Vieliria consider us bellow humans as species. For example, no dwarf may own a business in this town or even own a home within the walls. We're oblidged to stay in a dwarf Ghetto, right outside the town. We call it Rockmourn and currently 9 dwarves including myself reside there. Most of us are miners, sculptors and stonemasons.

With the disappearence of the Bishop of Nails, the previous intolerant anchorite bishop, things are getting better for us here. The new bishop is far more tolerant than the Bishop of nails; hard woman that one. However, if you hold any other religion besides worship of Ezra, I strongly advise you to keep it to yourself. The locals won't ask you what you believe in. Yet, 5 years ago one of us was killed for openly praying to a different God than Ezra. The Bishop didn't word the accusation that way of course; it's illegal to execute anyone for their beliefs in the duchy. But when there was a drought, they blamed him and his "blasphemous practices" for it as well as a stillborn baby. The Lord of Misheril, Eraffreu Alfeden, tried to intervene along with some of the local anchorites. Yet, the bishop was adamant. "The blasphemer wants to worship rock gods. Let's do him a favor and reunite him with the rock gods he holds so dear!" she proclaimed."
Bavur shakes his head making a small pause as he continues, looking Roddek.
"They brought poor Fregon bound and gagged near a quarry, rolled in a catapult and used it to throw Fregon as a missile to crash on the quarry's slope. All of us, including his little daughter were there for his last moments to lend him our support. The Bishop of Nails was there too; harder than the limestone Fregon left his last breath on. I was the stonemason that cut the rock where his remains were splashed, like a crushed bug. We used this rock as his gravestone."

Changing the subject he looks upon Garret and asks Wilfred: "What's with him? He seems as if he has seen a ghost or something." Turning to G he said "Are you OK lad? Did the story upset your stomach or something? I didn't mean to spook you, just wanted to warn a fellow dwarf to be careful"
My DMGuild work!
Naliamegod
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Naliamegod »

*chuckles a bit in an obvious attempt to hide something* Oh, don't worry. I just had something nasty for breakfast. Thanks for the warning though. Do you know a good place for drink and food? You can join us if you want.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Bavur, supprised by the human's acceptance and openess looks towards the dwarf noble. "I wouldn't want to presume on the Lord's free time. Of course, if he and Wilfred also want me, I would be glad to join you for a drink. I never pass a chance for a drink." He stops for a moment to think. "If you don't mind the presence of dwarves and don't have other business, you could join us in the dwarven abode outside the town for a drink. However, we can't accomodate you for the night, not enough beds. You'll have to spend the night elsewhere or lie and sleep in the common room we use"
My DMGuild work!
Naliamegod
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Naliamegod »

I'm fine with that. Hopefully the dwarves here have the same reputation as pubs back on the Gold Coast.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Roddek introduced himself in dwarven and received a proper reply. He mentions that as a war leader he has slept in worse places than under a table and that he prefers to spend the time among his people.
Arneau adressed the others "I will rush to the tavern to leave a message for our friend Boiros on our whereabouts and I'll catch up with you. Should I tell Lord Alfeden's man that you'll collect your reward tomorrow Wilfred?". The Trobadeur seemed to purposefully avoid mention Boiros' religion to the dwarf.

Bavur gave a nod and turned to lead the group outside of the town of Mierana. Once out of the gates he made a right turn and followed the town walls for a few hundred yards till they reached a low stone structure, barely 10' on the side, that protected the opening towards the dwarven underground residence of Rockmourn. The stairs leading to the underground were dark; Dwarven vision had no need of light and the place wasn't meant for humans.
A light drizzle started as the group waited for Arneu and Boiros to arrive. The sight of Ezra's sword on the cleric's shield seemed to make Bavur uneasy something that Arneu noticed. "Boiros the anchorite is tolerant and has shown kindness to different races. Lord Greyaxe can confirm that Boiros didn't cause any problems." Roddek nodded in agreement, reassuring Bavur that Boiros seemed reliable for a human.
Bavur gave a gruff shake of his head, not seeming convinced and lit a torch, leading the way to Rockmourn.

Reaching the bottom of the steps, about 20 feet from the surface the group reached a locked iron door. The ceiling of the tunnels was uncomfortably low for the humans, barely over 6 feet in height. The green-tinted yellowish limestone tiles covering the floor, ceiling and walls have been brought from the nearby quarries the dwarves work on. "Breath-holes", similar to 2' diameter cimneys on the central corridor, connect the tunnels to the surface for ventilation and are placed every 25'-30' effectively eliminating odors.
The architecture of the masonry covered underground establishment was simple. A straight corridor started from the entrance hall where the stairs and the small iron gate were. On each side of the corridor were small wooden doors leading to private or family bedrooms, locked storerooms or the communal privy. After about 55-60', the corridor opened to a large room containing a fireplace, a large wooden table chairs and benches. A large engraved mural depicting proud dwarven warriors defending a stronghold against goblin hordes and a couple smaller similar engravings decorated the walls of the dwarven common room. On the right side of the common room was a large communal kitchen with 2 fireplaces, a small well for easy water access and good ventilation. On the left side of the common room was a door leading to a small smithy.
A venerable dwarf with a long white beard and earthy complexion, probably in his late 4th century was seating in the common room with a pipe in his mouth polishing some tools. Noise from the kitchen and the smell of baking informed the party that two dwarven women were cooking the communal dinner and light coming from the smithy betrayed the presence of a dwarf there as well.

The old dwarf looked with suprise and unease at the humans invading his home giving a puzzled look to Bavur. Then his gaze fell on Roddek. Without looking less unease by the presence of humans, he made an effort to rise from his seat without a word. A red haired dwarf woman with skin the color of autumn brown-golden leaves and a black haired dwarf woman with long braided curly hair and large ears entered the common room from the kitchen to see what the commotion was about. Their reaction was similar to that of the old dwarf; at first fear and suprise at the presence of humans before they noticed Roddek's obviously noble heritage.
Bavur made the introductions in rough Mordentish:
"We're honored by the presence of Lord Roddek Greyaxe. The human with the greatsword is Wilfred, the human that saved me from the slave pits of Falkovnia. Behind them are humans I just met; Boiros, a supposedly tolerant warden of Ezra. Arneu, a traveling performer. And a human calling himself just 'G'."
With a friendlier tone, Bavur proudly announced "His lordship informed me that he prefers to spend the night here on a blanket under the table than go to the human inns.
Lord Greyaxe, Wilfred, humans, I present you Elder Revshur, the eldest of our kind and one of the oldest dwarves in Vieliria."
Revshur gruffly interupts the introductions scoffing. "I had already cut enough stone to make a fortress by the time this kingdom came to existance over the ashes of the previous human kingdom. Don't compare me with human kingdoms Bavur."
Bavur sighed and just continued pointing at the red haired woman "This is Helja, wife of Taklinn." he then pointed towards the black haired dwarf woman "and this is Ilde of clan Ungart, wife of Baer, of clan Ungart."
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wilfred inclinds his head. "A pleasure to meet all of you fine folk."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Boiros watches his head while walking at the low ceiling corridors admiring the structure of the dwarven abode.

"Nice to meet you all."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!