Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen, Chapter Ten

Post by ewancummins »

SAFANA
kintire wrote:Safana closes the book with a sigh and heads for the castle

A sudden downpour fills the low lying stretches of pavement and the filthy open sewers with rising water.
As the torch gutters, the already damp and muddy streets Haes begin to look more like black canals than like cobbled paths.

Safana may be able to protect her newly acquired book from getting soaked by covering it with cloth
(and perhaps working a petty spell).

The rainfall doesn't stop her from drawing near the massive walls of Caer Haes.

Sir Galen stands guard, heedless of the rain. The linkboy squats under the gambrel of a nearby house, trying to to light a second torch.

Safana hears something splashing towards her from out of the darkness...
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana frantically covers the book and mutters charms over it, to shed the rain. She glances up at the approaching sound and frowns in irritation before returning to protecting the book
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert and Roald

Filbert takes the letter and reads it twice, before signing it and handing it back to Roald.

"Here Sir Roald, for what it matters I trust Duke Carilon less than you do, but offering his daughter to marriage is a good deal for him for what I know. Many wars have been avoided or stopped in past such way. But I'm a bit concerned about how people in Tuornen will take these news, both you and His Grace Duke Devlin might lose your integrity. These people have seen their children and husbands killed and their heads placed where they could be seen outside the walls. Others saw goblins attack their villages and kill their families. I don't know what they might think of a man who accepts to marry the daughter of their enemy so he can get away and not face justice. Of course I'm not a war councilor or a politician, I just put my cents two cents here, something you might want to think about or just dismiss it. Up to you."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

FILBERT AND ROALD

"If I had to guess, Lord Filbert, I would say most people will be relieved to hear that the war is ending and grateful to His Grace for choosing peace over vengeance."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert let Roald's words sunk in and then nods in agreement.

"You may be right Sir Roald, as I said I'm not an expert on war matters, were just my two cents. If the war is over people will be relieved and they can start their lives again. So yes I can see where you are coming from."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

His messages dispatched, he goes to find some of the commoners that he spoke with before. He opens with some friendly conversation and more storytelling, but ends with a much more serious discussion.

“People,” he says, his voice becoming solemn, “I have to confess to ye that I am here in this land not just as a visitor, but as a priest of Erik, the lord of druids and keeper of the wilderness. I’ve come because I know the waste, and the wanton destruction that war brings to a land, and particularly to the common folk like yerselves. These siege engines, these battles, they bring not but ruin to our homes. While wars may be won and tyrants may be defeated, when the armies return home to their cities an’ their castles it’s you an’ yer homes tha’ pay the lingering price. It’s yer forests that are cut, yer fields that are spoiled, an’ yer crops that are used to feed these armies. An’ tha’s just speakin’ o’ human armies. If ye’ve never seen the blight tha’ goblins bring to places they inhabit, may ye consider yerselves lucky indeed. There are many in Ghonallison who are no longer so lucky.”

He shakes his head. “This wastefulness is wha’ I came here to put to a stop. I support Tuornen an’ the Duke because they stand against the goblins, but I’ve no more love for their army an’ the harm it does than I do fer the enemy. When the Duke an’ his high an’ noble lords go back to Haes, the common folk are the ones who will have to pick up the pieces, an’ I say it’s time ye started thinkin’ along those lines now. Tha’s why I’ve built an enclave, a small church an’ community o’ like minded folks who just want to live free an’ tend to the land as best they know how. We’re small now, but we grow every day, an’ as we grow the power of Erik’s hand can be seen to spread. I told ye the story o’ the battle I fought with my lads, but sure as I’m standin’ here, none of us would have survived it if Erik’s strength hadn’t guided our hands. An when the tide turned an’ the enemy fell back, it was his might that drove the stones down from the mountain to crush them as they fled.”

“Now I know, many of ye have homes here,” he says, “An’ I know it’s askin’ a lot to uproot and move to a land ye’ve never seen. I only want ye to consider one thing: when this battle is done an’ it’s time to return home, what sort of a home will ye have to return to? If yer fields are ruined or your house has been burned, or maybe yer just tired o’ workin like a dog to feed armies and lords, then maybe it’s time ye considered another way. My church is a place of second chances, as my men will attest when they arrive soon. Maybe it’s time ye started makin’ yer own life, an’ that can start by goin’ with me.”
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CORMAC

Adam wrote:CORMAC

His messages dispatched, he goes to find some of the commoners that he spoke with before. He opens with some friendly conversation and more storytelling, but ends with a much more serious discussion.

“People,” he says, his voice becoming solemn, “I have to confess to ye that I am here in this land not just as a visitor, but as a priest of Erik, the lord of druids and keeper of the wilderness. I’ve come because I know the waste, and the wanton destruction that war brings to a land, and particularly to the common folk like yerselves. These siege engines, these battles, they bring not but ruin to our homes. While wars may be won and tyrants may be defeated, when the armies return home to their cities an’ their castles it’s you an’ yer homes tha’ pay the lingering price. It’s yer forests that are cut, yer fields that are spoiled, an’ yer crops that are used to feed these armies. An’ tha’s just speakin’ o’ human armies. If ye’ve never seen the blight tha’ goblins bring to places they inhabit, may ye consider yerselves lucky indeed. There are many in Ghonallison who are no longer so lucky.”

He shakes his head. “This wastefulness is wha’ I came here to put to a stop. I support Tuornen an’ the Duke because they stand against the goblins, but I’ve no more love for their army an’ the harm it does than I do fer the enemy. When the Duke an’ his high an’ noble lords go back to Haes, the common folk are the ones who will have to pick up the pieces, an’ I say it’s time ye started thinkin’ along those lines now. Tha’s why I’ve built an enclave, a small church an’ community o’ like minded folks who just want to live free an’ tend to the land as best they know how. We’re small now, but we grow every day, an’ as we grow the power of Erik’s hand can be seen to spread. I told ye the story o’ the battle I fought with my lads, but sure as I’m standin’ here, none of us would have survived it if Erik’s strength hadn’t guided our hands. An when the tide turned an’ the enemy fell back, it was his might that drove the stones down from the mountain to crush them as they fled.”

“Now I know, many of ye have homes here,” he says, “An’ I know it’s askin’ a lot to uproot and move to a land ye’ve never seen. I only want ye to consider one thing: when this battle is done an’ it’s time to return home, what sort of a home will ye have to return to? If yer fields are ruined or your house has been burned, or maybe yer just tired o’ workin like a dog to feed armies and lords, then maybe it’s time ye considered another way. My church is a place of second chances, as my men will attest when they arrive soon. Maybe it’s time ye started makin’ yer own life, an’ that can start by goin’ with me.”
The common soldiers and camp followers listen with polite interest. Scanning the crowd the druid sees some affirmative nods and hears a little side chatter, but witnesses no great outpouring of support. There are no jeers or hisses, or any angry grimaces, either.

Somebody starts playing a fiddle and the crowd becomes distracted by the music.

After the speech, a stocky, blunt-nosed fellow dressed in homespun clothes approaches Cormac. Two of Count Robin's men-at-arms, clad in plate and mail, follow him, watching him closely. The rustic fellow extends a hand as he draws near Cormac.
"Nice speech.
Name's Warin. I'm a local farmer."

The Tuor guards stand by, watching Warin more than Cormac, and saying nothing.

Warin goes on,
"My neighbors chose me to serve as a spokesman. I've come here to deal with the leaders of the army. I've met some soldiers."
He gestures towards his guards.
"But seems like it's kind of hard for a commoner like me to see anybody important. Some of us were told by Count Robin's riders that the Tuor captains and nobles aren't going to take revenge for what Baron Lynwerd's men did over the border, but, well..."
The spokesman shakes his head. "Local people are worried. Seems like you have a reputation, maybe even got some friends above the likes of us.
Can you help me?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SAFANA
kintire wrote:Safana frantically covers the book and mutters charms over it, to shed the rain. She glances up at the approaching sound and frowns in irritation before returning to protecting the book

A scarecrow-thin figure wrapped in a tattered, long-hooded cloak, staggers out of the gloom very near Safana. The cloaked stranger jerks to a stop and lifts his hood to stare at her with jaundiced, sunken eyes. In the weak torchlight, his sallow, thin face resembles an old skull.
He cries out in a hollow voice,
"DOOM! THE HOUR APPOINTED FOR THE WORM'S SUPPER APROACHETH!"

Safana feels a strong grip on her shoulders, and in a moment she's sliding back, away from the bizarre night-wanderer.
Sir Galen shouts over her shoulder,
"Begone, madman!"

The linkboy advances, thrusting his sputtering torch towards the figure.

Sir Galen steps round from behind Safana to place himself between her and the doomsayer. The young knight claps a hand to the hilt of the short sword at his belt.
"Go!"

The stranger pulls back.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana looks astonished for a moment, then impatient.

"You came out on a night like this to tell people THAT? The hour appointed for the worm's supper has been approaching every one of us from the moment of our birth. Anyone who has grown beyond childhood has accepted that. If you have nothing more interesting to say than that, you can get walking."

She turns away from the doomsayer to make for the castle
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

Cormac shakes Warin's hand. "Aye, well, I'm nae much good at speeches, but maybe I can be of some help."

He walks with the man for a bit, making shooing motions at the soldiers. "Tell me what ye need."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cormac shakes Warin's hand. "Aye, well, I'm nae much good at speeches, but maybe I can be of some help."

He walks with the man for a bit, making shooing motions at the soldiers. "Tell me what ye need."
The soldiers stare daggers at Cormac, and don't walk off.

Warin explains.
'' I just need somebody with some weight behind his name to get me an assurance of some kind from the nobles, from the captains. I don't know what; a scroll, maybe? I can read a little. My brother taught me; he was a priest."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SAFANA
kintire wrote:Safana looks astonished for a moment, then impatient.

"You came out on a night like this to tell people THAT? The hour appointed for the worm's supper has been approaching every one of us from the moment of our birth. Anyone who has grown beyond childhood has accepted that. If you have nothing more interesting to say than that, you can get walking."

She turns away from the doomsayer to make for the castle
The man shouts after Safana,

"I see a mighty Prince who stands behind you in Shadow and Flame! He lusts for treasures, but is never satisfied. He--"

Safana hears a brief struggle, and then the sound of rapid flight.

Sir Galen catches up with her as she approaches the lantern-lit castle gate.

"I drove him off without harming him; poor mad fellow. "

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

"I can speak with 'em about it," he says, "I'm nae exactly a lord or captain, but I can see what I can do."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

CORMAC

"I can speak with 'em about it," he says, "I'm nae exactly a lord or captain, but I can see what I can do."
Warin smiles, reaching to shake Cormac's hand.
''Thank you.''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

It takes a couple of moments for Sir Galen to catch her attention. She has frozen motionless, seeming to be paralysed with shock. Then she catches herself and appears relaxed again.

"Yes... poor fellow. Well, it seems we have reached our destination. Thankyou for your assistance tonight Sir Galen. I wouldn't wish to inconvenience you further. I do hope we will meet again soon!"