Birthright: Tuornen, Chapter Ten

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Tuornen, Chapter Ten

Post by ewancummins »

SAFANA
kintire wrote:It takes a couple of moments for Sir Galen to catch her attention. She has frozen motionless, seeming to be paralysed with shock. Then she catches herself and appears relaxed again.

"Yes... poor fellow. Well, it seems we have reached our destination. Thankyou for your assistance tonight Sir Galen. I wouldn't wish to inconvenience you further. I do hope we will meet again soon!"

''Oh? Alright, yes, I'll see you again soon, I hope. Take care."

The knight leaves Safana standing in the circle of lantern light under the gate. Guards standing inside the gate house open a viewing grate; one of them stares out at the woman.
"Who are you and what are you doing here? You got a pass?"

Sir Galen and the linkboy have vanished into the night.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:FILBERT AND ROALD

"If I had to guess, Lord Filbert, I would say most people will be relieved to hear that the war is ending and grateful to His Grace for choosing peace over vengeance."
Rennault, having been summoned by Filbert, at last arrives to the meeting.

"Sorry for the delay," he says, "protestors in the streets again. The word is out about Carilon, and there's no putting the cat in that bag. Something will have to be done, and soon. I assume this is what our meeting is about...?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

FILBERT, RENN AND ROALD

"Nice to see you Captain. Indeed there are couple things you need to know."

Filbert tells Renn what he learned from Atli about the Alamians soldiers at the south of the city and that Sir Rory agreed to give him some men to help him and Roald to get them.

"Captain, I know you are really busy these days protecting the streets and organize the patrols but do you think you can come with us or have some of your guards come with us instead of the Ducal guards?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:
Varrus the Ethical wrote:FILBERT AND ROALD

"If I had to guess, Lord Filbert, I would say most people will be relieved to hear that the war is ending and grateful to His Grace for choosing peace over vengeance."
Rennault, having been summoned by Filbert, at last arrives to the meeting.

"Sorry for the delay," he says, "protestors in the streets again. The word is out about Carilon, and there's no putting the cat in that bag. Something will have to be done, and soon. I assume this is what our meeting is about...?"
"There's also some...interesting news you may want to hear." Roald clears his throat. "Carlion has offered terms for a peace treaty. Terms that include the marriage of his daughter to me."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE LAST DAYS OF SPRING

SORENTIER CASTLE AND ENVIRONS-

DEVLIN

Brokered by the red-robed priests of Haelyn, a deal is swiftly struck on Devlin's terms, with Carilon's son sending a copy of a signed agreement.
The garrison of Sorentier Castle will give up without a fight and march south after word arrives from Haes that the Archprelate's guards have removed Carilon Alam from Caer Haes. The Duke's army and the crusaders of Fhylie the Sword may then take possession of the fortress.

Devlin gets Roald's letter about Carilon's proposal for peace and a diplomatic marriage after the word has already gone out to transfer the prisoner. But he could certainly send a reply if he likes...

CORMAC

Cormac's intervention on behalf of Warin secures a scroll of liberties and securities for the local folk (Duke Devlin wants justice and peace, not to punish the peasants of Sorelies who had already sufffered under the late Baron Lynwerd's misrule). Fhylie is happy to add her name to the document.

By helping Warin, Cormac gains a favorable reputation among the local people, and a few of the younger folks begin to ask about his offers of settling over the border in Ghonallison.

FOERDE

Fhylie the Sword promises the aid of her order in recovering Gale.
"The monks near the Manslayer's country will help you. I wish I could go with you-- but right now there are problems within the Order. The eastern chapters are close to splitting away, I fear. This war could bind us back together, or tear us apart. I need to stay to guide things in the right direction.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE NEXT FEW DAYS

IN THE TUOR CAPITAL

LORD FILBERT, CAPTAIN RENN, AND SIR ROALD THE WARDEN OF THE TUOR

The heroes investigate the horse market. The war hasn't stopped commerce, at least not since the siege of Haes was lifted.
Lord Filbert snoops about the pens and stalls, Renn's men question foreigners and local horse traders alike, and Warden Roald checks on the barges that carry horses across and buyers the river.

The Tuors discover some circumstantial evidence that mercenaries and spies may have infiltrated the market: a cache of buried arms no one admits to owning, a suspected river pirate or two found lurking among the horse traders, and a failed attempt to bribe city guards into letting recently purchased horses be brought in past curfew.

SAFANA

She had no luck finding the strange man a couple of nights ago, in the darkness and rain.

But by asking about town, the lady magician has learned of a certain decrepit hut in the river quarter, where local folks say the man sleeps during the day.

MORGAN

GUNNAR

Gunnar gets to spend a lot of time around Lady Beatrix, who seems to have become fond of him.

Sir Ranald and Sir Gylrid also keep a close watch over the girl, so that she's never without armed men nearby.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

FOERDE

Fhylie the Sword promises the aid of her order in recovering Gale.
"The monks near the Manslayer's country will help you. I wish I could go with you-- but right now there are problems within the Order. The eastern chapters are close to splitting away, I fear. This war could bind us back together, or tear us apart. I need to stay to guide things in the right direction.''
FOERDE

"You are giving me more help than I expected." He says. "Shame though, I am sure she would have been thrilled to see you in action. I've told about some of our adventures back in the day. Near obsessed with those stories that child is, that and anything to do with the Huntsman, Mad Maeve and the like." He says.

Foerde offers her his arm. "I'll send word once I get her back and If you need me.. Well I won't be to hard to find." He says to her.

Once she takes his forearm and he takes hers and they shake. "For glory and honor."

Letting go of her forearm, he give Fhylie a grim smile and then walks away. Foerde has done some crazy things in his life but he has never chased an Elf into their own lands, even he knows that is suicide. Yet this is important, more important than this damned war (in his opinion). Though with this war coming to close he won't feel bad for taking away some its heroes...

Foerde searches the camp for Cormac...
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

EARLY MORNING,
several miles south of Devlin and Fhylie's forces

The outriders dismount and carefully lead their horses through the unseasonable mists covering the plain, which have appeared so far from the river. One of the horses neighs, kicking clumps of sodden earth through the fog.
A man slips, the mud nearly sucking off one of his boots. The man lurches upright and tugs his footgear snug once more. "What the devil", he mutters, "it didn't rain last night."

A strange hollow croaking sound drifts over the scene, a noise that might seem more fitting in a swamp than in what was only last night a dry and level field.

Brek-ek-ek-ex ko-ax ko-ax

The men proceed with caution, prodding the damp ground with the tips of their lances or swords.
Someone raises a lantern in the gloomy mists, and looks all about. Nothing strange in view...

Brek-ek-ek-ex ko-ax ko-ax

A muffled cry, a splash and a thud, a horse bolts through the fog-- and then screams from all around!

The lantern-man runs, dropping his light.
He trips, falls, gets up and keeps running.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

GUNNAR
Gunnar on seeing that Lady Beatrix has been looked after ably by Sir Ranald and Gylrid . He checks in on how Lord Filbert, Captain Renn, AND Sir Roald are doing and if they have any issues relating to Security of the Duke Carilon . He will ask if he can be of any assistance to them in getting information as well if needed .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin-

The duke arrives in Haes and wastes no time going to see Sir Rory and his kinsmen Roald.

"I am pleased that you would be willing to marry a stranger so that peace could come between our realms," Devlin says after a few minutes of small talk. "To that end, prepare yourself for a wedding Sir Roald. But not to the harlot across the river. I'd like you to marry the Lady Beatrix of house Ghonallison. I will let you think upon this, but know that this union will also strengthen our realm."

Devlin turns and thanks Sir Rory for his service and loyalty to the castle during his absence.

"Take me to see the prisoner," Devlin says.

Sir Rory sees the Duke to his personal apartments. Once there Devlin removes his weapons and fire starters and enters with the guard to speak with the Duke across the River.

Looking over his elder cousin, Devlin feels the blood in his veins begin to boil. as he steps into the room he realizes that he is trembling from a combination of fury and adrenaline.

"Cousin," Devlin nearly spits out the word he says it with such abhorrence.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

DEVLIN AND CARILON

The old man looks up as Devlin enters the chamber.

Guards cluster thickly around Carilon, like flies on a corpse.

Devlin may notice that flammables have mostly been removed from the chamber, leaving bare stone floors and walls.

Carilon stands slowly, gathering the folds of his green silk robe in his hands.

"Cousin."

He looks about at the armed men on all sides.

"Is the presence of these fellows really necessary at a peace negotiation?"

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin-

"I'm told they have orders to beat you unconscious if you attempt any use of your blood abilities. How tempted I am to claim you did just to see them strike you down like the dog you are."
Devlin spits on the ground.

"Murderer."

He lets the word hang and when he sees Carilon begin to open his mouth, Devlin cuts him off,

"You had my mother and my father assassinated so you could what? reunite our separate realms and run it to ruin like you have your own? Don't you understand the pople of Tuornen will never bow to you, no matter how many members of my family you kill. Even if you did reclaim the land, you will never hold it. The people of Tuornen hate you Carilon, Duke of Alamie. You are in noble and a villain and deserve to see the headsmans ax. You call this a negotiation? I'd prefer to call it your last chance to beg me for mercy you sonovabitch!"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Carilon jerks away and blanches at Devlin's outburst, but quickly recovers his composure.

He smoothes the folds of his robe.

"I see. Well prepare for bitter disappointment, because I will never beg for your mercy. And as far as the unfortunate deaths of your parents go, you cannot prove I ordered their killings. Can you? "

He holds his hands open at his sides.

"You are passing up a chance for peace."

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Devlin smiles.

"I suppose it does matter what I can and cannot prove."

Devlin lets his smile fade.

"Peace is what I want. For your crimes against the people of Tuornen my nobles have pressed me for your head. I'd really like that too. But what will it really accomplish? Yes, my need for revenge against you might be filled, but then your son and daughter would surely swear revenge on me and the war might never end. I want peace. I have decided to let Haelyn, noble god of all rulers of Anuire judge you. I will release you to Archprelate Nichilair on the term that you unconditionally surrender Sorentier castle to me. Once I have the castle and your men have completely abandoned the north, i will surrender you to the church. This is my offer to you Carilon Alam. Hate me all you want, you are in no position to refuse this offer."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Devlin smiles.

"I suppose it does matter what I can and cannot prove."

Devlin lets his smile fade.

"Peace is what I want. For your crimes against the people of Tuornen my nobles have pressed me for your head. I'd really like that too. But what will it really accomplish? Yes, my need for revenge against you might be filled, but then your son and daughter would surely swear revenge on me and the war might never end. I want peace. I have decided to let Haelyn, noble god of all rulers of Anuire judge you. I will release you to Archprelate Nichilair on the term that you unconditionally surrender Sorentier castle to me. Once I have the castle and your men have completely abandoned the north, i will surrender you to the church. This is my offer to you Carilon Alam. Hate me all you want, you are in no position to refuse this offer."
"No, I suppose I am not. I'll write the necessary letters-- once I have seen His Holiness in person and been assured of a fair hearing before him, at the least."