The Halls of Medeia - Prologue

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Halls of Medeia - Prologue

Post by Ail »

It is the first Saturday of September, 1892. The summer is drawing to a close and a fresh breeze blows from the east heralding the end of summer pleasantries and the start of a new school year. All around Castle Hill, overlooking the railway between Reading and London, people draw from the sleepy villages that lazily greet the day, forming three or four twisting lines that climb up the roads from the nearby villages of Elmsbrook, Cadborough, and Ladymere.
On the summit of the hill, the ruins of the old Rythgallos castle, have been reborn as the recent, but ambitious and growing to fame, Fairfax College. Over the day, a couple hundred students and their families flock to the gates as ant tracks gather to their nest, full of expectation and anxiety at the new start.

The campus building is impressive, and stuns those who see it for the first time. An impressive castle in the French style, but made of red brick, occupies the summit of Castle Hill, and is the center of a significant collection of meadows and sports fields for the school's use. But a quick stroll off the entrance path towards the side fields, shows that the castle is a modern reconstruction over older remains, and that it occupies only about a half of the original site. The other half lies in a degraded state, the structure mostly whole but in ruined condition. It is clear this body of the original castle was connected to what is now the college, but what connection presently exists is far from being safe.

The grounds of the campus are pleasant and inviting, adding as much joyfulness to the hill as the castle commands awe. But it is not clear how far the school terrains extend, for on the opposite side of the main entrance, the fields give room to a huge expanse of woodland, stretching to the horizon.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Re: The Halls of Medeia - Prologue

Post by A G Thing »

Christine heads on to the grounds and breathes in the morning air trying to make the day her own. She glances about adjusting her glasses as she walks in wondering what the new year will hold and preparing herself.

Still as distracted as she is, she is humming the tune to 'Early One Morning' as she begins to head for the offices to look for Mrs Joanna Buxington. She would tell her where to go to get settled in for the year.

She stops however, and lingers a bit at the front though as if wanting to enjoy commotion of the scene, the beauty of the scenery and the nice feel of the morning air as long as she can before entering.

Christine's Appearance...
VIEW CONTENT:
She is a young lady of some natural beauty. Her skin not overly pale and looks healthy and gives her the looks of someone who goes out quite a bit. Her hair is long with waving curls of a rich but dark red color that when not hanging freely bound usually by a single blue ribbon that seems to be slightly worn in contrast to her other clothes most times. She has a beautiful pair of pale green eyes that are very expressive and inquisitive but they often are hidden behind a pair of spectacles as she has inherited poor eyesight and is severely nearsighted and requires the glasses to see most things clearly.
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

After a morning spent gathering excess cleaning supplies from around campus (including a ladder, to remove cobwebs from the ceiling), Fiachra Niles props open the door of the reception hall facing down from Castle Hill so as to encourage newly arrived students to enter.
Niles begins pushing furniture aside to clear space for sweeping. He pauses on occasion to invite passing underclassmen and women in to assist, suggesting it as a promising way to begin the year and meet people.

Fiachra's Appearance
VIEW CONTENT:
A somewhat sickly looking man in his early twenties, Fiachra wears dark second-hand clothing that was careful washed and ironed earlier this morning, but by now is quite wrinkled by work earlier in the day. His black hair is slightly longer than current fashion recommends for men, but his features have a sincere cast which makes up for their disheveled context. A white backwards-facing collar makes clear that he is one of the college's resident clergy members.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

The school building is oriented more or less in a North / South direction, with the front gate pointing towards north. The road that serves it crosses the hill in a West/East direction, almost parallel to the facade of the former castle.

Inside the walls that limit the grounds, a small path leads from the entrance to the sporting fields on the right, while to the left, the ground slopes down to a meadow and some constructions that support the castle: a shelter for coaches, a hut for wood, coal and other materials, etc. Further to the east, some fields seem eager for the approaching harvest.

The entrance to the building is through an impressive clock tower, leading to the north quadrangle. Two doors on the tower ground floor lead to the Reception Hall (on the East side) and the Chapel (on the West side). On the north and south sides of the quadrangle, a collonaded cloister protects strollers from the late summr heat, while the grassy middle invites those who would prefer to sit in the sun while it still lasts.

The building around the north quadrangle is 3 stories high. Obvious doors on all but the north side lead into the building.

--------------------------------------------

Christine (late morning):

Christine wanders around aimlessly without entering the quadrangle yet. Some students pass her by, but most have a puzzled look in their eyes, as if confused as to where to go. She is not in a hurry, and although she should see as to her rooms, there's probably a lot of other kids doing the same right now. She could perhaps afford a while to herself and her feelings, hoping that she would not have to wait so much when she got to Mrs Buxington.

Fiachra (early afternoon):

Fiachra opens the Reception Hall, and ostensibly leaves the doors wide open, inviting all those who cross the tower to reach or leave the quadrangle.
This Hall occupies the whole east side of the castle facade, and extends in the West-East direction, and although it is a solemn room, with the tall windows shedding the whole room in light. The walls are lined with paintings, some of which have been covered, and a lush red carpet crosses from the entrance door to another at the east end of the hall. Many chairs are stowed to one corner, opposite a couple round plush sofas also pushed to the side. Four more tables, that may serve multiple purposes, and a pulpit have been pushed aside and line the north walls, while on the south one, two large fireplaces are currently extinct. The hall seems to have been sleeping for the summer, and now waits for the return of school life.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

George walks on the grounds for the very first time, nervous. The elderly man accompanying him notices and smiles reassuringly.

"Fear not, young Wentworth. You'll do jest fine."

"Cor, Mr Royce. I 'ave never been to such a place before, sir. Pardon me bein nervous. These are prolly all rich snooty people my
age here. Ain't never had ter work 'ard fer nuthin. I really do appreciate the opportunity ye be givin me. I won't let you down, I promise.
I'll take all the extra courses Miss Fairfax suggested I take an do you proud."

He looks around as they approach the entrance. Other children his age, younger, older enter the school or exit, milling around.

Turing to the elder man, he nods, gripping his school bag rightly in his hand. "I'll be off, then. Tell me Ma n Da I'll try ter come by n see em
when I can, sir. And thanks again." He reaches out and grasps Royce's hand firmly before turning again and entering the school.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine after a short time of daydreaming and curious observation, notices as the elder man and the young lad who she had not seen before arrive. She adjusts her glasses takes note of their arrival and the silent scene of their conversation as it as it is something interesting among the sea of students new and old.

She spares a couple more moments to wander about and look as some of the new faces that arrive but her attention is divided between the one new face she has seen that caught her attention and what looks to be students filing into the reception hall to the east. Still as this new boy moves to enter, Christine is reminded that she has things to do.

With no real reason to delay any further, she realizes she probably needs to get back to her affairs so she begins to slowly walk toward her appointment with Mrs. Buxington. She begins however to hum another tune softly as she does, this time her voice following the piano music to Chopin's Nocturne in EbM Op.9 No.2 as she tries to ready herself for the day.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Nonsense, George. I'm sure you'll find some nice kids here. You'll see. Go, now, go and study, until you come out a learned gentleman."

George enters the school as Sir Benjamin Royce observes. He is proud of the young man. He knows how bright he is, and rues the society that is not prepared to give kids such as a him a chance in life. George looks behind once, fleetingly, and Royce imagines that a pearl of light shines near the boy's eyes. Maybe not, the impression is too fast, as George turns round again and turns right at the end of the gateway.

Outside, a young girl maybe around the boy's age looks at the scene. Royce notices her, and smilingly tips his hat in her direction, then walks away into his coach and departs. Christine snaps of her reverie and decides to go about her business.

--------------------------------

Inside the quadrangle, George stands for a while looking at the building. A collonade hugs the north wall to the east and west, and on both sides ends on doors that seem to lead to the east and west wings. On the south wall of the quad, another collonade mirrors the first, also leading to two opposite doors. Finally, the north/south axis that issues from the gatehouse is intersected by a perpendicular one that connects two doors, at the exact centre of each of the east and west wings. George does not know where to go, and just stands there looking around, like so many other kids on their first day.

Christine, on the other hand, follows her way knowingly and turns to the left, towards the door at the end of the collonade.

-------------------------------

Fiachra leaves the door open, but no one really comes in. Some curious youngsters look in, and sniffing the need of physical work, adroitly move away. Some parents look in, but without any sign of gaining there the information they seek, they move on to the quad. Fiachra rests alone for a good while, aligning the chairs to their best place for the function of the following day, and thinking that maybe he will have to use another tactic.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

George, looks around, obviously lost or for better words, not knowing where to go. He will mill around and once he spies an adult, he will build up the courage to go up to them and ask "Pardon me, it's me first day. Might you be so kind as to direct me to Miss Fairfax' office?"
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

Over the time that newcomers have been wandering in and out of the hall, Niles has continued cleaning by himself. When it looks like most of the tasks one person could accomplish alone are done, he closes the room for the moment and heads to the building where most introductory level courses take place, reasoning that new students diligent enough to see where their first classes will be ahead of time will be more eager volunteers to help the school.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Christine:

Christine quickly finds Mrs Buxington's room, on the first floor of the East Wing. It had the same looks as ever: a counter stands in front of the door, behind which Joanna Buxington peeps to assist the students in their tasks. During term time, this is where students come for all of their material requirements, from paper and pencils to bedclothes and laundry. The wall opposite the door is covered by a stacks shelves from floor to ceiling, leaving only space for another door that leads into a store room for all the larger things.

As expected, Christine finds the room crowded with students, and she has to wait outside for half an hour until finally her turn comes. Mrs Buxington greets her warmly:

"My, my, Christine. Haven't you grown this summer? Gone abroad, have you?"
"Well, let's see. You come about your room, yes?"
She looks for her name in the books, and finally finds it.
"Yes, you'll be on the West Wing, second floor, same as last year, but further down the hall: dormitory number 3. Your study is also changed, now you're on Bay Study 4. Well, there you are. Now, go to your room and unpack your things, and let me see where the rest of these brats will need", she says, pointing at a new contingent of students. She is severe, but she winks at Christine, suggesting that maybe this attitude is only some kind of cover.

---------------------------
George:

George intercepts a burly man, who by his looks could be a professor in the college. The man is walking briskly through the quad, but stops at George's question, and with a smile says.
"Miss Fairfax, is it? Which one of them?"
Seeing George's surprised face, he continues
"You are new here, so maybe you don't know there is the Headmistress and the Dean. They're sisters. Now, which one will you want?"

---------------------------
Fiachra:

Fiachra wearies himself putting the chairs in place, fixing the carpet, uncovering the paintings and adjusting the banner of the college in its place. But after a good work, he looks around to see that the tables have to be moved to their places and the sofas moved outside. Tomorrow someone will bring in the flowers and provide the finest decoration, but for the rest of the hard work he needs help.
He leaves the hall, and proceeds to the lecture rooms on the ground floor of the west wing, looking for curious students with whom he might start a conversation.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine stands patiently outside in the line with the other students looking around. She spies Mrs. Buxington as she looks ahead and inwardly smiles to herself. She always seemed to be kind to her. Considering she does not recognize most of the students in line it is nice to have a familiar face.

As the minutes tick by she looks around at various things but restrains herself from humming while in line. She is almost lost in thought as she wonders about her classes this year.

When she reaches the front she smiles at the familiar face looking happily at Mrs. Buxington.

"Thank you Mrs. Buxington! You look well. I did have a holiday during the summer!"

"Yes Mrs. I have!"

Christine waits happily as Mrs. Buxington looks for her room assignment. After she is told about the room she smiles but reigns it in a bit as she tries to keep Mrs. Buxingtons air of authority.

"Yes, and thank you Mrs Buxington. I'll see you later."

She turns and begins to head to the west wing, her steps familiar with the route and the comfort of the past years coming back. She lets herself get distracted in thoughts of her own in the moment the walk provides, her smile barely there as her brow tenses a bit as she focuses on the floor ahead of her.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

George:

George intercepts a burly man, who by his looks could be a professor in the college. The man is walking briskly through the quad, but stops at George's question, and with a smile says.
"Miss Fairfax, is it? Which one of them?"
Seeing George's surprised face, he continues
"You are new here, so maybe you don't know there is the Headmistress and the Dean. They're sisters. Now, which one will you want?"

"Oh, uh. I meant the Dean, sir. And yes, I'm new here. Me name's George, George Wentworth."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Welcome, George. I'm Prof. Philip Dowland. Maybe I'll meet you in one of my classes?" he says smiling.

"So, the Dean it is. She has her office in the East Wing, ground floor, just by the Main Lecture Hall."
He points George in his way, and pats him in the back, again picking up his quick pace to wherever he is going.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Er ok, thank you sir. Might I inquire as to what subject you teach?"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

The man is already a couple yards away when he answers George's question. He turns around, without slowing down, and cries

"Music!"