The Halls of Medeia - Prologue

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Halls of Medeia - Prologue

Post by steveflam »

Ail wrote:The group arrives to the college. Since Niles is with them, nobody questions where they have been, nor make remarks at how late it is. Indeed, it is almost dinner time, and Niles urges the students to get properly dressed and ready for dinner.

Once out of earshot of Niles, Oliver says to George:

"Look, you don't have to ask permission to the gypsy woman if you want to go to the ruins. We can do it all the same. Interested?"

Bennedict, on the other hand, seems excited to know about the circus, and starts talking with other colleagues to know what there is to see there.

George sighs. He does think long and hard about it. "Tell you what, Oliver. I will sleep on it. Honestly that gypsy woman put a bad taste in my mouth. I am really pissed off at her ter be honest. My words were true when I said I would not go back and see them. I am sorely disappointed with my outing, mate. I was expecting a lot more than whats I getted. Just let me think about it tonight and I'll let you now tomorrow. Keep in mind I am used to not getting what I want."

He smiles at the lad but did not let his voice down, so Niles or Christine did hear what he had to say but he didn't care either way.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Christine having followed along stayed silent as she listened to George and the others discuss what they were planning. She listens as Oliver and George begin speaking and looks as Bennedict walks off to talk to perhaps some of his friends about. Niles urging to go to bed and eat are not lost on her completely but she smiles and nods to the priest.

"Thank you and yes Father Niles... I am sure we will eat and get some rest soon enough... I think everyone, has had enough for tonight."

Her voice while pleasant is also clearly tired as she turns the lantern down now that they are within the area of the school grounds. Looking to George and Oliver after George's rather loud response.

"See you tomorrow then George?" Christine's voice is curious but also a bit hesitant.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Sure thing Christine."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

"Alright then George. Good night everyone..." Christine gives a small relieved smile and with a glance to George, Oliver and Niles she moves to head in. As she does however she looks to Bennedict and with a slight pause tries to listen in on his conversation with his friends if he is still nearby. She does however try not too move so close as to interrupt.

Die roll for Christine's Listen Check
VIEW CONTENT:
Rolled on: July 29, 2014, 5:31 p.m.
1d20+3 → [18,3] = (21)

Link
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588816/
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

"Good night." Niles replies to Christine, and with another "Good night" to the others, returns to his room to prepare for dinner.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Not an hour later, the group is again gathered at the dinner table. Bennedict has joined with George, Christine and Oliver again, eager to tell them what he found about the circus. Coincidentally, the girl Frances, who had previously engaged Niles, is also there, as well as the silent odd girl that George had tried to talk with.

Niles can join as well, if he wishes, or he may deliberately avoid sitting with the students.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine sits a space away from George but gives a smile and an acknowledgement to him. She also gives a smile and a nod to Bennedict and Oliver. As she takes her seat at the table and greets the two girls. "Hello... I'm Christine. I don't believe we've met."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

George will purposely next to the oddly silent girl. Although he gave the others the impression he had given up on the
ruins, that was farthest from the truth. George never gave up easily, in fact, he is a very determined person. For that reason, he sat next to silent girl and as they ate, began small talk. He did not ignore Christine, Oliver or Bennedict however.

"So, did yer visit the circus today?"

He would prove that old bat wrong and he would definitely be visiting the ruins but he wanted to make sure he did more research before going to investigate. The town would be a good place to start as there would be istorical records of the ruins there somewhere. He would find them.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

There are still a few other students at the table, but they stay for the moment immersed in their matters without interacting with the rest of the group.
The girl sitting next to George, as always dressed in dark colours, turns to the boy and greets him, surprisingly cheerful:

"Hello George, Christine. How are you today?"

Christine notices that this girl is living in the same dorm as she, but this is perhaps the first time she hears her speak. For once, she seems focused on him.
"No, I was not there", she answers softly.

The other girl, freckled and blondish, sitting between Christine and Bennedict, is much more forthcoming

"I did, but I was horrified with the way they treat the animals. I didn't know they kept them in cages so small, and I saw a keeper being very cruel with them. Oh, I'm Frances, by the way."

Bennedict smiles and asks, interestedly:

"Is it true that you made a fuss, and were expelled from the circus, that they sent you away because you were scaring the customers away?" he seems to be mocking, but she takes it pretty seriously, and gives a stern look.

"Did you really try to open the monkeys' cage?" he presses on.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ail wrote:There are still a few other students at the table, but they stay for the moment immersed in their matters without interacting with the rest of the group.
The girl sitting next to George, as always dressed in dark colours, turns to the boy and greets him, surprisingly cheerful:

"Hello George, Christine. How are you today?"

Christine notices that this girl is living in the same dorm as she, but this is perhaps the first time she hears her speak. For once, she seems focused on him.
"No, I was not there", she answers softly.

The other girl, freckled and blondish, sitting between Christine and Bennedict, is much more forthcoming

"I did, but I was horrified with the way they treat the animals. I didn't know they kept them in cages so small, and I saw a keeper being very cruel with them. Oh, I'm Frances, by the way."

Bennedict smiles and asks, interestedly:

"Is it true that you made a fuss, and were expelled from the circus, that they sent you away because you were scaring the customers away?" he seems to be mocking, but she takes it pretty seriously, and gives a stern look.

"Did you really try to open the monkeys' cage?" he presses on.

George listens to everyone, focusing his attention on the girl he doesn't know the name yet.

"So what did yer do today then? Stay 'ere 'n' study? Might I get yer name? Unless yer already telled me 'n' I fergot awready."

The circus interested him in the least. Being cruel to animals was something he could do nothing about even though it was wrong. This was a circus after all. Probably nothing much could be done about by himself.

The ruins, however, was something he planned to do for sure, but he wouldn't tell anyone right away. As he'd already speculated, he would do research on the ruins extensively before taking a course of action. That old gypsy bat could kiss his young arse. HE could hide his research in the bookstore or stores and library in town. He would also send word to his benefactor and ask him for any information he could find on the ruins here near the school grounds.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Christine returns the greeting of the darkly dressed girl with her own cheerful voice. "We are doing well today... Sorry but I don't believe I know your name. Aren't we in the same dorm?" She takes interest in her as she speaks up smiling brightly.

Still as the younger freckled blondish girl who had spoken with George before speaks up she listens intently to her as she speaks of he circus and animal cruelty catching her introduction as Frances.

Of course at Bennedict's jibes and the stern look Frances is giving she speaks up as he tries to press on.

"Perhaps she thought she saw you locked in there Bennedict and was trying to save you?" She says it in a joking manner and smiles at him and Frances trying to defuse the situation rather than actually tease him. "But seeing animal abuse would certainly sour me on going to the circus too Bennedict. I probably would have end up expelled from the place as well if I saw that. As it stands now I don't know if I care to go. I'm Christine by the way and its nice to meet you Frances!"

Christine does not however speak to the silent girl though she does look at her and try to meet her gaze pleasantly if she should catch it but waits for perhaps a proper introduction. Besides, George seemed to be more interested in her anyways and she would wait to see if the girl wanted to speak up as it would be rude of her to interrupt Georges efforts.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Frances and Bennedict smile at Christine's remark. It alleviates the little tension that was building up, and Christine can see that Frances is accustomed to less than enthusiastic reactions to her outbursts, and going on staunchly even in the face of indifference. She turns to Bennedict

"We have a chance most people don't have, Bennedict. We have a duty to them. We have to be the champions for them! Someone must fight for what is just and assume responsibility for the great causes of this world. Animal rights are just one of many, but I can not bear the thought of caging innocents."

She turns to Christine, her eyes bright with excitement. "You see, Bennedict? It's not only me, I can see Christine here has a fire of her own inside."

Turning to the Scottish-French girl, Frances asks

"So, what are you studying here? What do you intend to do after you graduate?"

Bennedict, on the other hand, seems a bit horrified at Frances's speech. "You sound a bit too much like a revolutionary. You look young, is this your first year in school? I'm sure you'll think differently a year from now."

"I will not!", Frances replies, indignantly. "Why do you say that?"

The other girl, on the other hand, continued her conversation with George.

"I just walked around. I like the forest, I like the dark. I like where I can be alone with my thoughts and my friends. Have you ever been to a beach, George?"
She quickly glances at Christine, and replies

"I suppose we might be. I'm never certain where I have seen people, my memories get so confused. You can call me Alma, if you wish. You too, George."

Oliver is mostly silent, but he cocks an ear to the dark-dressed girl. He looks bemused at her words, but then he comments on the alteraction between Bennedict and Frances, in a rather neutral tone, as one observing a fact.

"He just means this school is forming the elites of tomorrow. It will format you accordingly, even if you... might not believe in elites."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Do you really wants ter argue about the elite we might become and all that rot? Seriously grow up. I might be any elite or nothin' likes it. Who freakin' cares ter be honest. Ain't matter if ye be havin' money or not it be whats inside ya. I ain't got money, far from it. I don't plan on bein prominent or anythin. Just do what I want ter do n thass it."

He sighs. Rich people and their little tiffs. Let em earn somethin in their life, he thinks to himself.

He turns to Alma. "Ain't never bin ter a beach. Dun knows what that has ter do with the forest or a dark place. Well, it seems ye ain't very forthcoming an I won't push ye further. NIce ter make yer acquaintance, Alma."

By now George has had his fill with his food and talk.

Pushing his chair back, he stands.

"Okay, I'm off. See you all later or tomorrow." He walks off. If the library is open, there. If not, to his room and his books.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

As soon as George gets up, a female voice echoes from the Masters' table through the whole hall:

"Mr Wentworth, SIT DOWN."

The whole dining hall goes silent, as George stands by his seat, everyone still seated and Victoria Fairfax looks gloweringly at the young boy.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

George still remains standing, looking calmly at Miss Fairfax. He did not like her tone and he has done nothing wrong whatsoever.

"Pardon me, Miss. I have done nothing wrong 'ere, why can I not leave? My meal is finished and it has been a long day. I would like to go read, unless that is against the rules?"