Van Helsing (Yes, indeed, there may be spoilers...)

Books, movies, television and everything else

Yay or Nay to van Helsing?

Yay!
55%
Nay...
45%

Total votes: 33

Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Anyone who goes to this movie, expecting anything more than popcorn cinema, is going to have to learn to live with disappointment.

This movie is an action movie. It's got cool special effects. It's got a unique plot (and no one can argue that one). It's the director trying to imagine some new takes on old monsters. And is that really a bad thing? So what if Dracula wasn't the same as the novel Dracula. It's artistic license, and it's refreshing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I went in expecting an action movie with a new idea and direction, and that's what I got. I wasn't expecting some dialogue masterpiece or a plot that moves me to tears. Just a good old fashioned action movie in the tradition of Indiana Jones or the Mummy, and that's what I got.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Malken/Ezekiel wrote:Hey, we should have a new poll: which Bride did you like best? I liked the redhaired Bride the best. :P
Verona, the dark-haired Italian, played by Silvia Colloca. :wink:

I was at a Hot Topic store yesterday, they already have T-shirts made with the three Brides and the word 'Succulent!' splashed across it. I was tempted, but my wife and kids would never approve... :twisted:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Aaaa, Van Helsing... Plot, script and dialogue? Ha, yeah right! But fun and eye candy? Oh, most definitely yes! You go to a movie such as this one for the fun it will provide, not to think on its plot twists and artistic brilliance. As far as I am concerned it was a great SFX fun movie!
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

The brides :shock:

My friend warned me I'd drool and I didn't think I would... Anyway!

Best part of the movie: when that actress excuse Beckingsale dies
I almost cried.

I liked the movie up until they find Frankenstein. From that moment, it became cheesier and cheesier.
I do think cheesiness was on purpose though. No movie could be that cheesy!
I liked it as an action movie though. The werewolves were incredible!
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

The werewolves simply rocked! The story and script stink to high heavens, but what the heck? Its just a turn-off-your-brain-action-movie. :roll: The brides were nice, Katey made me drool more than a bit, but the dialogues were totally pathetic. (We should take care of the ppl responsible for the story and script. They simply suck soooo much , they should not be allowed to write anything again. :twisted:)
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

yeah the faces in the clouds at the end were pretty stupid.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

How can you say the dialogue was bad?!

"I feel no LOVE! No FEAR! No JOY! No SORROW! I . . . am HOLLOW! And I will live. . . forever."

I think it took me a full minute to stop laughing after that one.

And, of course . . .

"I have never seen the sea. I'm sure it's . . . beautiful."
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I did find them less cheesy than the romantic talk in Attack of the clones
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Not to mention the "You don't have a heartbeat" line... and the girl knows Dracula is a vampire! Oh my, oh dear... :roll:
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

The black-and-white scene when Dracula first tries to aquire Frankenstien was good. The werewolves were awesome looking, I liked the silver-and-black furred one with the orange eyes at the begining better than the solid brown (Valken) and black (Van Helsing) ones later on.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: 1) It was good. I enjoyed it as brainless fun.#
I agree. I enjoyed it much as a brainless fun. I especially liked the werewolf.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I thought Underword was bad iuntil I saw this movie tonight and compared to Van Helsing, Underworld is a work of genious.

The dialogue is bad, chessy and just plain pathetic, there is no redeeming it, even in cheese factor. The acting and accents were just as bad.

I have seen some people liked the werewolves. I though they were pathetic, that the heck was with the sticky up ears??? they reminded me of old 1930's and 1940's cartoons, but they weren't as amusing to watch.

Kate Beckinsale tries, but fails as always, she can't even wear a proper corset, someone needs to tell her that if she was wearing a corset, she couldn't go from lying flat to sitting upright like she does in one part of the movie. Also, they show a bit of corset through her gown when she is dancing with old fang face himself, if she was wearing an actual corset laced properly, benfing back like she does would have snapped her spine (not joking there either).

The action was stupid, no comedy value (though I did make "flap flap" comments throughout the movie to keep myself amised when a vampire or any flying creature came on screen), Frankenstein's Monster was good for a while but got annoying like Dawn did in Buffy (she got annoying after about 2 episodes).

The only thing I enjoyed were 2 of the Brides (yay! typed is right for a change, no bribes this time, lol), but they were the first two to die, leaving me to my "flap flap" to keep myself entertained.

In all I found it tedious and predictable, not even that action packed. I can't believe I waisted £4 going to see it when a friend offered me free beer for the evening instead :(
Swallow your soul!
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Van Wilder

Post by Shoon VII »

this is the only movie that i have EVER got up and walked out on.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Saw it in video last weekend. Definitively cheesy, indeed, but very funny because of it.

I liked Dracula's caracter, he reminded me of Bono :). I don't think it's a 'cassical' Dracula performance, but he wasn't that bad?

Let's say 2 1/5 on 5.

Joël
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Okay, okay, I saw it on DVD Halloween weekend, and great cinema it ain't.

That being said, the werewolves were pretty cool (although I liked the ones in Dog Soldiers better, and the whole "ripping off the skin" thing just seemed stupid to me), the brides were gorgeous, Kate Beckinsale is gorgeous (though she acted better in Underworld), and Hugh Jackman is back to his pumped-up savage self.

But it had some good one-liners to make up for some of the cheesy bits about "no heartbeat" and "I feel nothing/I am hollow/I will live forever", and the best came from our good friend Karl.

VAN HELSING: "You cursed. Not very well, mind you, but you cursed. Monks shouldn't curse, Karl."

KARL: "Actually, I'm still just a friar, so I can curse all I want... da** it."

I must have rewound that scene five times, just to watch/hear the delivery... and to see David Wenham playing a character so different from the gallant Captain Faramir.

The plot and storyline is (more than a little) confusing, so if anyone wants to clear this up for me, I'd appreciate it: Is Van Helsing supposed to be the angel Gabriel? The "Right Hand of God" thing and the changing of names from "Abraham" to "Gabriel" got me thinking along those lines... and the movie really doesn't give any reason for Van Helsing's sketchy memories of the distant past and Dracula's "long association" with him.

And if he IS Gabriel the angel, is he pulling an Isolde (of the Carnival) thing, forsaking his spot at the right hand of God to hunt down creatures of the night on earth?
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden