Using Nidala and Bonemaw

Discussing all things Ravenloft
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Using Nidala and Bonemaw

Post by divinedragonslayer »

That's why I never read about those machines. I don't have have Islands of Terror. A mist possessed construct would be an interesting take on Bonemaw, though I thought making him a boogeyman templated monster. My only problem with using a 'real' life Bonemaw against the populous in general as I don't want to diminish Elana's role in the massacres. Now using Banemaw to torment Elana and her followers would be something I'm more open to. That being said I'd rather not have him featured as a large part of the campaign. He should be something lurking at the edge of the shadows. Something hidden, but to be feared.

As for Bonemaw being a dragon I'd forgotten what dragons represented in fantasy literature. To me dragons always represented mystic creatures with power beyond mortal grasp. Their wisdom and intelligence completely unfathomable. Not the greedy, perhaps even prideful beasts of legend that the knights fought.
Within the darkest depths the light shines the brightest
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

divinedragonslayer wrote:That's why I never read about those machines. I don't have have Islands of Terror. A mist possessed construct would be an interesting take on Bonemaw, though I thought making him a boogeyman templated monster. My only problem with using a 'real' life Bonemaw against the populous in general as I don't want to diminish Elana's role in the massacres. Now using Banemaw to torment Elana and her followers would be something I'm more open to. That being said I'd rather not have him featured as a large part of the campaign. He should be something lurking at the edge of the shadows. Something hidden, but to be feared.

As for Bonemaw being a dragon I'd forgotten what dragons represented in fantasy literature. To me dragons always represented mystic creatures with power beyond mortal grasp. Their wisdom and intelligence completely unfathomable. Not the greedy, perhaps even prideful beasts of legend that the knights fought.
If Bonemaw really exists I think it's best that he/she/it doesn't actually do much of anything unless someone goes looking for it. All the horrible things that happen are Elena's work, and the beast just gets all the blame.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

IrvyneWolfe wrote:
divinedragonslayer wrote:That's why I never read about those machines. I don't have have Islands of Terror. A mist possessed construct would be an interesting take on Bonemaw, though I thought making him a boogeyman templated monster. My only problem with using a 'real' life Bonemaw against the populous in general as I don't want to diminish Elana's role in the massacres. Now using Banemaw to torment Elana and her followers would be something I'm more open to. That being said I'd rather not have him featured as a large part of the campaign. He should be something lurking at the edge of the shadows. Something hidden, but to be feared.

If Bonemaw really exists I think it's best that he/she/it doesn't actually do much of anything unless someone goes looking for it. All the horrible things that happen are Elena's work, and the beast just gets all the blame.
If Banemaw really exists, you could throw an added level to the mix and make it actually a good aligned dragon. Maybe Banemaw shows up to help villages and then Elena torches them for "conspiring" with the dragons. People see the dragon fly to the village, a few hours later they see it burning, you do the math.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

divinedragonslayer wrote:That's why I never read about those machines. I don't have have Islands of Terror.
You didn't miss much*. It's literally a one-liner. Either a tantalizing hint of something never explained further, or an oddly incongruous detail that doesn't fit with the rest of the write-up, depending on your point of view. :)

I used that reference as an excuse for my scooby-doo-esque Banemaw steampunk holo-projector, but I still didn't quite buy it. :)
only problem with using a 'real' life Bonemaw against the populous in general as I don't want to diminish Elana's role in the massacres.
Very much agreed. That why I wanted to shy away from a full on Dragon-tank-construct.

ETA: forgot my footnote: *regarding the "engines", that is. You did miss a lot about Elena, since that's pretty much the definitive source about her and Nidala.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Those machines could be part of a plot by Theokos that Elana isn't aware of depending on how the DM uses Theokos. I've got a few ideas rattling around in my head. Especially if Theokos' soul is melded with a devil's.

PS: I don't mind Banemaw being a good aligned dragon of the gold variety. It would be an interesting twist, but I'm hesitant to use full blooded dragons as I think that would be a bit too cliche.

Also I had an odd thought. What if Theokos was actually a fallen angel?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

divinedragonslayer wrote:Those machines could be part of a plot by Theokos that Elana isn't aware of depending on how the DM uses Theokos. I've got a few ideas rattling around in my head. Especially if Theokos' soul is melded with a devil's.

PS: I don't mind Banemaw being a good aligned dragon of the gold variety. It would be an interesting twist, but I'm hesitant to use full blooded dragons as I think that would be a bit too cliche.

Also I had an odd thought. What if Theokos was actually a fallen angel?
In the D&D canon, I think many devils are (or originally were at some point in their lives) fallen angels.

Edit: Just had another thought, what if Theokos was supposed to have been some kind of guardian angel for Faithhold, but he fell from grace when Faithhold became corrupted. Perhaps he is somehow bound to her much like an imp or quasit might be bound to an arcane spellcaster (hence having no reality wrinkle of his own)?
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

I'll play with that idea some for a while, but I'm not sure. And I realize devils are fallen angels to be honest, but what I mean is an angel corrupted after Asmodeus's fall.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The Lesser Evil wrote:Edit: Just had another thought, what if Theokos was supposed to have been some kind of guardian angel for Faithhold, but he fell from grace when Faithhold became corrupted. Perhaps he is somehow bound to her much like an imp or quasit might be bound to an arcane spellcaster (hence having no reality wrinkle of his own)?
ooh... that's a very interesting take. I like it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

I was thinking about Theokos being a fallen guardian angel. I think it might be interesting if Elana and Theokos were two facets of corrupted evil. Where Elana is the purify all in flame without judgement Theokos would practice the ends justify the means.

Poison, torture, and a myriad of other despicable means could be applied to get the information he needs. Unfortunately his own zealous nature towards his own pursuit of good has it's own collateral damage. And while he sees the evil that blinds Elana he cannot stop her either because of his own fallacies or more appropriately some Dark Powers meddling. He can only hope to guide Elana's zealous purification to either those who deserve it or where it at least does the least amount of damage.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

divinedragonslayer wrote:I was thinking about Theokos being a fallen guardian angel. I think it might be interesting if Elana and Theokos were two facets of corrupted evil. Where Elana is the purify all in flame without judgement Theokos would practice the ends justify the means.

Poison, torture, and a myriad of other despicable means could be applied to get the information he needs. Unfortunately his own zealous nature towards his own pursuit of good has it's own collateral damage. And while he sees the evil that blinds Elana he cannot stop her either because of his own fallacies or more appropriately some Dark Powers meddling. He can only hope to guide Elana's zealous purification to either those who deserve it or where it at least does the least amount of damage.
Going back to the red oni (Elena) vs. Blue oni (Theokos), yeah that seems like it could work. I would advise to rely more on Theokos' own failings as much as you can vs. the DPs meddling. That way the events seem more naturalistic and the players can possibly exploit it if they're canny.
divinedragonslayer
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

I need to write out fallen angel Theokos still. I do need to think about some of his fallacies. For those who want to skip past a wordy wonky explanation of the Fallen Angel Theokos: This version of Theokos is the Blue Oni without saying. More than that he is the extreme law of the lawful evil alignment. An enforcer of his own moral code as well as Elana's rules.

Elana and Theokos are intrinsically intertwined since he is her guardian angel. And through an oddly sympathetic connection began to corrupt him as Elana's own corruption began. Even as Elana's taint seeped into his mind his damnation was his own. This version fancies himself an angel of justice rather than an angel of mercy which is where his fall comes in. His fall began when he started hunting all criminals not just those that deserved it including children. To him law is absolute without question. It is even more black and white than Elana Faithhold sees the line between good and evil. He used darker means of interrogations on prisoners. Some too horrific to fathom on prisoners who would not talk. His punishments were meted out without considerations of circumstances around the crime or the person that committed it. His brutality and mercilessness severed his connection to the energies of good. This left him with Elana's taint coursing through him. And when she was pulled in so was Theokos.

To reinforce this idea of the merciless inquisitor I'm thinking of giving Theokos an altered detect Law ability at will, a slightly altered Discern Lies at will, and Zone of Truth.