Farewell Robin Williams!

Books, movies, television and everything else
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Farewell Robin Williams!

Post by A G Thing »

Robin Williams is dead... I honestly don't know what else to say other than I am in tears at the moment from hearing this news. USA TODAY reports there is to be a press conference at 11 am to announce it. I know what they say is the cause of death and I know it is very possible considering his history but it is still hard to accept.

I just thought I should share the news and my feelings. I almost wish I could post it to the General thread just so I know the news would spread.

"Rest well oh clown of my childhood.
Your smile and wit brought joy to my heart.
It's sad to lose you clown of my childhood.
I never dreamed that we should have to part.
For though I laughed clown of my childhood.
I laughed because you gave me joy and cheer.
Though I will cry oh clown of my childhood.
It is only because my heart has held you dear.
Your time is done clown of my childhood.
My heart will mourn but it will still fly.
For it is due to you clown of my childhood.
That in that laughter you shall not die."

Farewell my friend.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Farewell Robin Williams!

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Truly a sad day for those who like to laugh. Goodbye, funny guy.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I am so buying Mork and Mindy
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

There was an episode of Louie, where Louis C K was at the poorly-attended funeral of a not-very-well-liked fellow comedian. While there, he met an old man, played by Robin Williams, who tried his best to remember nice things about the deceased. After several valiant failures, they both gave up and just stated recalling all his flaws instead.

Several hours of fairly savage attacks later, they decide to go into a strip club where the dead man was known to visit. When they told the dancing girls about their annoying friend's death, all the dancing stops and the music is held for a moment if silence. Tearful strippers are weeping openly as they recall the loss of a genuinely nice person who made their shifts somewhat bearable and their jobs suck slightly less.

It was a surprising moment of reassessment and retrospection, told with touching comedy and a faintly bemused wit.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I too liked Robin Williams very much. For me, he is mainly Prof. Keating, but I also remember him fondly as Theodore Roosevelt (in the museum), Peter Pan and so many others.

I liked how he seemed so genuine and so fast to laugh.
A sad loss.

Makes you, again, wonder how many times the clown that makes people laugh in the circus is so sad a person inside.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

One of the most surprising and unknown performances of his was as Andy Kaufman's grandmother at his legendary Carnegie Hall performance. He sat in a lazy boy chair and was in a very Doubtfire type costume the whole performance and revealed himself at the end. Only Kaufman could keep Williams off to the side and not have him up and in the spotlight.

Goodbye to a wonderful actor, father and person.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Robin Williams also brought light and laughter to suffering folks - he visited Christopher Reeve in hospital in the guise of a bumbling Russian proctologist to make him laugh.

"And now I will examine your Volvo..." Robin Williams, as Dr. Kosevich, Nine Months.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

He was amazing yes... In life and film. But because that's where I knew him best I loved his films mostly. They always brought me entertainment and a certain joy at seeing him again like visiting with an old friend.

I remember him from quite a few. Hook, Awakenings, Death to Smoochy, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Best of Times, Jakob the Liar, Fern Gully the Last Rainforest, What Dreams May Come, Popeye, The Fisher King, Jumanji, Dead Poets Society, Flubber, Good Will Hunting, Toys, Patch Adams, Being Human, Robots, Happy Feet, The Survivors, Aladdin, Good Morning Vietnam, Mascow on the Hudson, Night at the Museum, Bicentennial Man, The Birdcage, One Hour Photo. All of these visits with him on film were welcome in my heart.

On T.V. he will always be Mork to me though I loved his other often small appearances and roles in other shows. I loved when I saw him in both Louie and Wilfred. I only really watched "The Crazy Ones" simply because of his involvement and am glad to see it.

I will probably go to see the new Night at the Museum movie solely to watch Robin as he appears to be in the film. I want to laugh with my friend again. :)
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

And this is why I hate the news: it's never good. :cry: I still remember Robin Williams voicing the Genie in Diz-knee's Aladdin and even Kingdom Hearts. But it's Dead Poets Society that will forever hold the highest esteem in my heart. Poetry can inspire free thinking and new ideas even in the most repressive environments. That movie inspired me to begin writing at thirteen and I've never looked back.

It's not just a man that made us laugh that we've lost. But one who could inspire us to ask such questions as "what is humanity?" in movies like Bicentennial Man and scare us such as in One Hour Photo. Excuse me, I think I'm going to literally start crying.

EDIT: This opens an old wound in me because I've been in the kinds of depths of utter despair that one has to be in to consider it; twice landing me in a psychiatric ward. Forensic examination has determined that Williams died of asphyxiation from hanging and had cut both wrists. He had been suffering from depression and even admitted himself to a clinic for continued sobriety treatment from alcoholism last year. If it's the same bleakness I and others have felt I can understand why. Not that I condone his decision. But it does take monumental strength to pull out of it and find a reason--any reason--to go on in the face of such absolute despair.
Last edited by High Priest Mikhal on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Don't forget, he made it big after he starred as Mork on Happy Days. Too many films or whatnot to remember and reminisce.

I remember him most as Mork from Ork. Old enough to have watched it on ABC every week, not reruns.

Surely will go see Night at the Museum 3 "sans faute"..

RIP my favorite funny man.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: My favorite Robin Williams role: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVIultA ... nL5R0NVBgw It's no longer there at the park. It's one of the reasons I HATE Di$ney corp. :evil:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Truly sad. :(
R.I.P.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

I just read this online and felt this is something that needs to be shared. It is a bit lengthy, but touching.

http://www.tickld.com/x/robin-williams- ... is-amazing
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk