Unsolved Mysteries: Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Unsolved Mysteries: Ravenloft

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: I'm sure Connors knew that defining the DPs was a bad idea.
I would go with that sentiment. Giving stats to the GC was bad enough.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

He never had any intention of making it canon, no.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

alhoon wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: I'm sure Connors knew that defining the DPs was a bad idea.
I would go with that sentiment. Giving stats to the GC was bad enough.
Good point!
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Ravenloft Fu is weak with this one in this case..... who is the wizard that serves a Pharaoh? :oops:
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote:Ravenloft Fu is weak with this one in this case..... who is the wizard that serves a Pharaoh? :oops:
Imhotep, of the Masque of the Red Death setting.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Zilfer wrote:Ravenloft Fu is weak with this one in this case..... who is the wizard that serves a Pharaoh? :oops:
Imhotep, of the Masque of the Red Death setting.
Ah that explains everything.... i know 0% Masque of Red Death. Save for the fact when i heard about it i looked up the original story and it has the Red Death coming to a party and everyone dying which i like quiet alot.... :D

The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

A bit off the beaten path, but there's one possible obscure indirect reference to Ravenloft in of all places the "Ecology of the Keeper" (Dragon 353, p. 55). The Keeper was originally a Planescape (Monstrous Compedium II if I recall correctly) "Men in Black" type monster that was charged with locating secrets, learning them, and then burying their existence. Later the keeper got put into the Fiend Folio for 3.0.

Anyway, the Keepers are a hive mind race, but a race composed of individual compartmentalized hive minds rather than one single great cosmic hive mind. Each hive mind commands a group of Keeper named according to the type of secret it was originally tasked to investigate.

Now here is what is interesting, "the Mists" is listed as one of the names of a group of Keepers (along with others such as "The Darkened Sun", the Maze, etc...) Now I think that Mists reference is probably fairly likely a reference to Ravenloft. The question is, what is this group of Keepers up to in Ravenloft, and what secrets do they know?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The REAL question is:
Did Death, the requiem Death, managed to break out of Darklordship, out of Ravenloft, out of time, go to Prime Material Barovia and made a deal with Strahd?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:The REAL question is:
Did Death, the requiem Death, managed to break out of Darklordship, out of Ravenloft, out of time, go to Prime Material Barovia and made a deal with Strahd?
Alhoon, you either are or would be a big fan of the tv show, Lost. Did anything ever come about concerning the spirit of Strahd's right hand man, Alec?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Dark Angel wrote:
alhoon wrote:The REAL question is:
Alhoon, you either are or would be a big fan of the tv show, Lost. Did anything ever come about concerning the spirit of Strahd's right hand man, Alec?
THIS SO MUCH THIS!?!?! What happened to the body?!?!?!?! I've wanted to use Alec in a campaign but i'm not sure what to do with him. A haunt from Strahd's past? Perhaps a match in swords play? Revanent? Living breathing one brought back to life by the mists? Key to salvation is where it began? Anyways yes I would LOVE to see that answered.

The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The Lesser Evil wrote:A bit off the beaten path, but there's one possible obscure indirect reference to Ravenloft in of all places the "Ecology of the Keeper" (Dragon 353, p. 55). The Keeper was originally a Planescape (Monstrous Compedium II if I recall correctly) "Men in Black" type monster that was charged with locating secrets, learning them, and then burying their existence. Later the keeper got put into the Fiend Folio for 3.0.

Anyway, the Keepers are a hive mind race, but a race composed of individual compartmentalized hive minds rather than one single great cosmic hive mind. Each hive mind commands a group of Keeper named according to the type of secret it was originally tasked to investigate.

Now here is what is interesting, "the Mists" is listed as one of the names of a group of Keepers (along with others such as "The Darkened Sun", the Maze, etc...) Now I think that Mists reference is probably fairly likely a reference to Ravenloft. The question is, what is this group of Keepers up to in Ravenloft, and what secrets do they know?
Oooh nice one. And it's by Todd Stewart. Gotta see if i have that one...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

And what about the ghost of Soth's guide to damnation? Caradoc or how he was called?
My DMGuild work!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Soth killed Caradoc, and Azalin stole Alec's body in Lord of the Necropolis.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Soth killed Caradoc when he went in the mists (and got Sithicus)? I didn't remember that...

EDIT: Wikipedia says "Soth was then given the domain Sithicus in Ravenloft by the Mists who stole his vengeance on Caradoc."
My DMGuild work!
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

alhoon wrote:Soth killed Caradoc when he went in the mists (and got Sithicus)? I didn't remember that...

EDIT: Wikipedia says "Soth was then given the domain Sithicus in Ravenloft by the Mists who stole his vengeance on Caradoc."

If you read Knight of the Black Rose it is pretty clear what happens, Strahd tells Caradoc his only chance to avoid Soth is to go run for the misty border of Gundark and hope that when Soth follows the new domain will form before he can destroy Caradoc.

It doesn't and before Sithicus forms Soth throttles the ghost of Caradoc into unundeath.

I can quote for you if you need it but Sithicus starts to form at more or less the exact same instant that Soth finishes double killing his ghostly servant.

So yeah, unless some other book retconned that or the Dark Powers wanted to bring Caradoc back, he is as dead as anything ever gets in Ravenloft.