Unsolved Mysteries: Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Unsolved Mysteries: Ravenloft

Post by The Giamarga »

alhoon wrote: Secret: What's Isolde's history with the GC? Why she crossed over to Ravenloft to find and destroy him? There are plenty of tyrannies and demons outside Ravenloft and also inside Ravenloft. What started the vendetta?
Good one, Alhoon.

There is this mind boggling excellent fan fiction on the WotC boards which I never got around to finishing but which I suspected/hoped could involve Isolde's quest. Its called Blade of Innocence and involves the Planes, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Resurrectionists, Celestials, Angels, demons Slaadi and much much more...

And if not it might give an idea of how convoluted and far spanning that quest could be...
Last edited by The Giamarga on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

jamesfirecat wrote: I agree with you, also consider Delphi from Neither Man Nor Beast (granted that's not really a direct bloodline link there...) Jacques Renier in Scholar of Decay is clearly evil because he's a bit of a spoiled brat and a wererat supermacist rather than anything as nebulous as the fact that his mother is a darklord, I don't think we've heard anything about Lucita Aderre being anything but a normal girl (well aside from the possible wolfwere thing but that's neither here nor there at the moment).

Oh also the ultimate death blow to the "children of darklords are evil because they are the children of darklords" argument I present to you Mikhail Zolnik from Dark of the Moon.
The classic gothic approach is that evil spawns evil though. Jaques isn't evil just because he's a spoiled brat; he's evil because his whole family is a family of monsters hiding inside humanity and praying on them. Lucita Aderre may be the same monster and even if not, she will lead to tragedy. Godefroy's wife and child are undead spirits of vengeance, trapped in the line between life and death by Godefroy's crimes and their own need for revenge.

I also don't go with the "sins of the father" approach of gothic horror usually btw. I was just saying that Drakov's kids if taken from the cradle and raised up within a good family... they are considered the spawn of evil from gothic perceptive and would turn up either evil or\and will lead to tragedy.
That doesn't suit me (in most cases) and it doesn't seem to suit others too. That's fine really. I was just putting out a thought.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Also Ryan is there any reason your collecting these questions?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Maybe....
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Unsolved question:
Why Ryan collects the unsolved questions?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

alhoon wrote:Unsolved question:
Why Ryan collects the unsolved questions?
We need to go deeper.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Oh, I've got one.

Who or what did Strahd really make his bargain with? Strahd called it "Death", but that's all we know.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Bluebomber4evr wrote:Oh, I've got one.

Who or what did Strahd really make his bargain with? Strahd called it "Death", but that's all we know.
Isn't that (or was it going to become) the manifestation of the Dark Powers? No? I know never explicitly clarified, but it was always assumed or hinted at. It was given a bit more weight in the final (printed) issue of Dragon Magazine (359) with a finale of Q&A.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I know what one TSR Kargat's headcanon was on that one.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Mangrum wrote:

Care to share that with the class? Or is that another thing this youngin missed? :) Not that it will change MY CANNON but still nice to know. The more oppinions i hear the more i develope and choose what i like. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Zilfer wrote:
Mangrum wrote:

Care to share that with the class? Or is that another thing this youngin missed? :) Not that it will change MY CANNON but still nice to know. The more oppinions i hear the more i develope and choose what i like. :)
I always figured it was Inajira.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

William Connors' pet theory was that "Death" was a dark power. One of several. For taking such a direct role in corrupting Strahd, the other dark powers exiled this particular "death" from the Mists (or wherever it is the dark powers actually exist). This "death" was trapped in limbo (speaking metaphorically, not in reference to the Great Wheel) until another mortal reached out to the void and made semi-accidental contact. That mortal was a genius and a wizard seeking immortality on behalf of the pharaoh he served...

Why this remains headcanon should be obvious.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mangrum wrote:William Connors' pet theory...
Works for me!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

Yeah, that works and makes sense. It's unfortunate the other Kargat at TSR prevented that from being canon, but I can understand why they did.
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Not necessarily the other kargat. I'm sure Connors knew that defining the DPs was a bad idea. He might have kept it unpublished himself.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."