Aztec Death Whistle

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Aztec Death Whistle

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Cool item ;

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/horr ... th_whistle

Who would use it in RL? Does it have special powers?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Aztec Death Whistle

Post by Dark Angel »

I would drop something in my campaign to mess with the players and give them the insight that there is (what will become) a Mayan/Incan colonial cluster coming soon in my campaign. Definitely cool, but, like the Mask from Splatterhouse, they would not take my incarnation based solely on the picture given. It was for a good cause too; a PC was killed in a reckless fashion and the player responsible was offered the 'death mask' to restore life to him. She didn't bite. Good for her. See? They can be trained...
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

That single whistle blown did eerily sound like multiple people screaming simultaneously.

To me, such an item would definitely have necromantic properties. I'm thinking that the screaming sound would function as a banshee's scream, victims dying from this attack raise as undead controlled by the blower of the whistle, or perhaps that's too overt. I need to drop something like that into my campaign - creepy stuff!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

That scream is almost too good to be believed. you sure no one dubbed a scream over the video?

well, real or fake, it still works for Ravenloft. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I don't think it needs special powers... it's a scream. It could be used to lead people to ambush\trap. Blowing 10-15 of them would require a fear save, for non supernatural reasons.
I find it nice and I wonder how only the Aztecs thought of a whistle that sounds like a heart-wrenching scream.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Alastor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Alastor »

If this is standard equipment for Aztec cavalry, one wouldn't expect most versions to come with any particular powers, but those used by priests might have been enhanced by their owners with clerical magic.

Although, in the real world, the Aztecs wouldn't have had horses until after being conquered by the Spanish, so the "recreation" in the video at least is inauthentic.
Above the conquered folk,
the draconic citadel
awaits rebellion.

Not the daimon, just a namesake.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Alastor wrote:If this is standard equipment for Aztec cavalry, one wouldn't expect most versions to come with any particular powers, but those used by priests might have been enhanced by their owners with clerical magic.

Although, in the real world, the Aztecs wouldn't have had horses until after being conquered by the Spanish, so the "recreation" in the video at least is inauthentic.
I thought Native american's had horses up north..... <.< wouldn't it have been possible for them to migrate south? Or were those introduced by Europe as well?
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Horses on North America were extinct back in the Plieostocene Era. The Spanish reintroduced the horse to the Western hemisphere. All wild horses in North America are descendants of these Spanish horses.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I never heard of Aztec cavalry.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

alhoon wrote:I never heard of Aztec cavalry.
Because they took levels in rogue classes. Very sneaky.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk