Birthright: Promises to Keep, Chapter 2

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Promises to Keep, Chapter 2

Post by Adam »

Cormac pants, walking forward into where the bramble had previously sprang up. He swings his aching shoulder to try and loosen the knot forming.

"Careful with her," he shouts to the men with the bag, "She can change her shape back just as easy, I warrant. An' she was tryin' to bewitch minds a minute ago."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

"Find a cage, one too small for her to change into anything larger," Roald says, rubbing the bruise left by the knight's hammer.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SHADOW WORLD
kintire wrote:Safana examines the vials thoughtfully, casting frequent glances at the Duke.

"We are going to need time to examine these. And better light. In the meantime..."

She approaches the Duke.

"Your Grace, I did not like the looks of the vapor that came out of that well, and you are still coughing. Are you feeling alright? If there is anything wrong, if that vapor has got into your lungs perhaps we should catch it early. Are you feeling... quite yourself?"

Devlin reaches up to his shoulder where the ghoul master had bitten him in the fight upstairs. He traces the faint impression of teeth there, red marks swollen in his white skin.

"Hmmm, this bite feels hot. I'm confident that between Father Michael and Gunnar's leech, whatever harm done me and the rest of you can be healed, with the grace of Haelyn and a little medicine. Don't worry about me, dear lady."

Father Michael looks up from the little collection of bottles he and Safana has found. The priest says nothing but just stares at Devlin.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FOX IN A BAG...FOR NOW

Varrus the Ethical wrote:"Find a cage, one too small for her to change into anything larger," Roald says, rubbing the bruise left by the knight's hammer.

Gatt and Sevett hustle towards a cask that lies on the ground near the cellar door.
Gatt kicks the cask, bringing a dull thumping and a sloshing noise.
"What about this? Sounds more than half full."

Hob shouts, "Oh, oh, my ale!"

The bag twists in Sevett's hand, seams and stitches beginning to pull loose. It shakes. Gnawing sounds come from within...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Roald smiles cruelly. "What an inspired idea."

He picks up the cask and pulls off the lid. He observes the fine ale sloshing inside and gives Hob an apologetic look.

"I'll buy you a round or three after we deal with this mess." He looks to Sevett. "Put the sack in the cask. Now."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Roald smiles cruelly. "What an inspired idea."

He picks up the cask and pulls off the lid. He observes the fine ale sloshing inside and gives Hob an apologetic look.

"I'll buy you a round or three after we deal with this mess." He looks to Sevett. "Put the sack in the cask. Now."

The men shove the sack down into the bottom of the cask, submerging it in brown ale.
The bag shakes in the brew, held fast and shut in Sevett's grip. The cask wobbles on the ground.
Ned grins and kneels beside the cask, compassing it in his arms to hold it stable on the ground.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:
The men shove the sack down into the bottom of the cask, submerging it in brown ale.
The bag shakes in the brew, held fast and shut in Sevett's grip. The cask wobbles on the ground.
Ned grins and kneels beside the cask, compassing it in his arms to hold it stable on the ground.
Roald hefts the lid of the cask up, ready to seal the fox-elf inside. "We don't want to drown her, yet. Just trap her inside. When I say so, pull away."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FOERDE

After a short while, the elves open the door again. By the glow of a rush-light, three of them stand in the door and watch Foerde. The sidhelien mock at him. One tosses a basin of filthy water over him.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Sfana nods. "Very well your grace. uh, do you feel any other... effects?" Her eyes drift downwards for a moment and she seems to be examining Devlin closely
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:FOERDE

After a short while, the elves open the door again. By the glow of a rush-light, three of them stand in the door and watch Foerde. The sidhelien mock at him. One tosses a basin of filthy water over him.
Foerde remains in his meditative posture. "The basin, will you leave it in the room for me?"
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

SEEKERS

Renn gives a ragged laugh when he sees Sevet and Gatt grab the fox woman. He's clutching at his chest--still reeling from the hammer blow.

Seeing they have the situation in control as they put the sack in the cask, Renn moves over to the armored man to divest him of his weapons and bind his hands.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:
ewancummins wrote:FOERDE

Foerde remains in his meditative posture. "The basin, will you leave it in the room for me?"

One of the elves enter and places the basin in a crevice high in the wall.

They depart, closing the door and throwing a bolt on the far side.

Foerde find sthe elf has placed the basin the a tricky spot. The leg chain may prevent Foerde from reaching it.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac pulls an arrow from the dirt, knocking the head against his pant leg to knock away the soil, and starts walking towards the struggle with the barrel.

"Quit yer thrashin'!" he shouts to the lady in the cask, "Ye're caught, an' ye ain't gettin' away until we know what ye did with Foerde. Talk, an' we may think abou' not drownin' yeh."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SHADOW WORLD
kintire wrote:Sfana nods. "Very well your grace. uh, do you feel any other... effects?" Her eyes drift downwards for a moment and she seems to be examining Devlin closely

Devlin lifts his hands.
"What, what is it? Why are people looking at me like..."

His head tilts down.

"Oh!"

He rubs his eyes.

"This is some sort of illusion."

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Shadow World

Filbert opens his mouth to say something when Devlin transforms but holds his tongue since he doesn't want to embarass the duke, he keeps looking the jewerly and the art instead. When finally Devlin realizes he has changed Filbert goes close to him and says:

"I think we should better get what we came here for and what we can carry from the treasure and try to go back to Maeve. Maybe she can dispel this, otherwise I'm sure the clerics back in Carr Haes can do it."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!