Birthright: Promises to Keep, Chapter 2

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: Promises to Keep, Chapter 2

Post by ewancummins »

FOX HUNTERS OF ELVESNEMIERE

With the barrel now sealed and the fox trapped, Cormac tries interrogating the captured creature.

The only answer he gets is sloshing, scratching, and yipping noises.

Not far away, Renn strips the unconscious knight or man-at-arms. A stout fellow, what you'd call fat but when Renn goes to move him, he feels the weight of strong muscles under that soft padding.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Shadow World

Filbert opens his mouth to say something when Devlin transforms but holds his tongue since he doesn't want to embarass the duke, he keeps looking the jewerly and the art instead. When finally Devlin realizes he has changed Filbert goes close to him and says:

"I think we should better get what we came here for and what we can carry from the treasure and try to go back to Maeve. Maybe she can dispel this, otherwise I'm sure the clerics back in Carr Haes can do it."

Devlin pinches one of her breasts.
"Ouch. Alright...so it's not an illusion."

"You are right, Filbert. It's best I get to Haes post-haste. The Archprelate is favored of Haelyn. Surely he can undo this. I don't want the news to spread to anyone we can avoid telling or showing. I trust my personal guards, and of course all of you. "

The duchess pauses in thought a moment.

"Maybe we shouldn't even let Maeve know. Look at what she did to Gunnar. I'm guessing that was one of her mad whims. I respect her, but I'm not sure I entirely trust her..."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

FOERDE'S HOUSE, ROALD

Roald leans on the top of the barrel, "You know, Cormac, if she can't say anything, I say we just cook her inside this barrel and make ourselves some beer-battered fox."

He leans close to the barrel's lid. "I think she'd be delicious."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

SHadow world

"Sounds about right Your Grace. I can try to get us all out of here and directly to Haes and then return to Maeve and give her the casket she asked us."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:SHadow world

"Sounds about right Your Grace. I can try to get us all out of here and directly to Haes and then return to Maeve and give her the casket she asked us."

"If you can manage that, it would be best, yes."

Devlin looks around at all the treasure.

"It would be a shame to leave all this here. No doubt the fiends had been murdering and robbing for centuries. We should choose at least some of these things and take them with us. The gemstones and coins we can divide as fair spoils. Some of these works of art, though, we may be able to link to rightful heirs. Maybe. I'd not like to leave them here, especially the paintings."

She turns , lifts a candle from the upended cask she had used as a desk, and walks about , looking at the artworks in the ghoul's collection.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Outside the Cellar, Ugo is a bit worried by the silence. He masters all his courage and sneaks towards the cellar door and checks inside. He waits for a moment and then he calls out "Filbert?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert checks closely the treasure they found and says:

"I agree your Grace, better take the papers, the vials and the finest pieces of art and treasure with us. I doubt anyone else will come to this sinister place when we leave so if we want we may return after giving Meave the casket."

Listening Ugo calling him he excuses himself to Devlin and goes to the other halfling.

"Come my friend, you are safe now. The big man over there managed to slay lord Runcible. We got what we came here for and now we are ready to go back. Now, please let Gunnar take off your collar, you have nothing to be afraid of. The collar probably prevents shadow travel and you need to take it off to come with us. Now, I need you to listen carefully, when I tell you, you need to take my hand and not leave it till I tell you ok? Everything will be fine trust me, we will go to Duke Devlin's palace where you will be safe and free."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana keeps her face absolutely straight.

"Who is going back through the pool to return the casket, and who is going back to Maeve? I am happy to volunteer. I wouldn't mind recovering my clothes... talking of which, if we are to keep this private your Grace will need some of those."

She turns to Ulgo and gives him a smile of sympathy as he enters.

"It will take a little time to adjust, I expect, but you will be surprised how familiar it all becomes. In any case, it can't be worse than this, right?"

She eyes the black collar around his neck thoughtfully "If I had the right spells memorised I could work out what it does, maybe. Let me look, before you do anything. Some of these devices have curses if you take them off the wrong way." She absently fingers the black band around her left wrist then smoothly moves over to the halfling, leaning down and examining the collar closely.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert looks up to Safana.

"Well, I think we better get all back first and then decide who to go to meet with Meave. His Grace needs to see a cleric or someone who can...ah...get him normal before going anywhere I suppose. I have a new ability that will help us reach home really fast once we are in our world and when we want I can get us near Croaker Norge."
- W H A T ! ? !
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ugo looks from one to another, confused and uncomfortable. At the various things told to him or for him, he has little input. "Shadow-travel?" he looks Filbert confused. Then he turns to the big woman "Curses? What do thee mean? I don't want to be cursed... but I prefer to be cursed rather than stay alone here."
Ugo seems completely unfazed and uninterested by the riches and art in the cellar. He also takes a single glance at the Duke, without showing any alarm or even curiosity of what happened and returns to the discussions at hand.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

With one look at the Duke(Duchess now) he thinks that not looking through the papers was a good idea it seems at the time as he had no knowledge of what they may have pertained . He only notice the change in the Duke when someone pointed it out to him, as he was rather busy totaling the gems and coins up thinking that he could carry quite bit of it by himself . So as to allow as more hands to be carry any of the paintings up by others since they can't weigh all that much any way .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana gazes at Filbert, head tilted, then she looks down pointedly at herself, breastband and loincloth her only covering.

"My Lord Filbert your fortitude and skill cannot be doubted, but alas I cannot match them. Before I return to the land of light, regardless of how swift our travel may be, I will need my clothes, left by that pool in Croaker Norge. I am a daughter of the sunlit south, and I will die swiftly clad like this in the frozen snows and biting winds of your testing and formidable country. Also, may I call to your mind the warriors and servants standing in that noisome place awaiting our return? Someone must tell them whither we have gone. I suggest you carry the Duke and our companions back your swift and easy way, and I will swim up through the pool and pass on the message to depart... and give Maeve her box."

Safana bows her head courteously and assumes the respectful, almost worshipful and humble expression appropriate for disagreeing with a Lord.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

On the other hand, Ugo suddenly feels more uneasy and even somewhat worried as he turns towards the Duke\duchess and says in a polite yet urgent way "Thee have other servants? Can they cook? I've been practicing cooking my whole life, and my life depended on it! I'm sure thee not be disappointed with my cooking. Or the nice armored sir or the sun-south lady that turns to vapor can take me as a cook. Do thy have a cook sir? If the kind lord Deke doesn't need my services, good as they are, could I join thee in your household?" Ugo said to the armored warrior, with some worry in his voice.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SHADOW WORLD

The Duchess says,
"If I do not return, my personal guards may think I've drowned in that pool, or been ensorcelled by Maeve...''

She slips a ring from her right hand.

''Takes this to Sir Lotho, captain of my personal guard, Safana, with my strict orders to that he go to the crossroads south of the town of Croaker Norge and wait for me. I can explain what must be explained there, and then Filbert can magick us down the road to Haes. ''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

RIVER DISTRICT, HAES

Stretching languidly, she opens her eyes. Pausing a moment, she ponders events of the last few months, smiling. Sitting up, she turns and hops out of bed. Quickly she performs her morning ritual of sit ups and push ups. Once done, she walks over to the window and opens the drapes. The sun is strong, but it is winter. Don't let the sunshine fool you, as it can come back and bite you in the wee parts.

After her bath, she spends time looking over her agenda. Only half dressed, she dons a house robe, taking her whip with her, and heads for the kitchen. On the way she knocks on a door. Hearing no response or movement from within, she frowns at first. Shrugging, she opens the door to see it empty, bed
made.

Leaving the empty room she soon finds herself in the kitchen. She finds the empty room's occupant there, toiling over a hot stove. She is about to say something, but he turns from the
stove to smile at her. Motioning her to sit, patting her customary chair. She does sit, quickly losing patience or intrigued. Unsure of the two as of yet.

Quickly he returns to the stove and returns with a plate of hot food and a cup of steaming tea.
inspecting the plate, her face remains calm, emotionless. Biting into the sausage, she takes time to savor it. Then she takes her tea cup, blowing into the hot beverage. Sipping it, she also savors its contents. Deposing the cup, she looks at the young man who is looking expectantly at her, waiting a word of encouragement.

"Gimp" she speaks, face straight and serious. "Take a plate of food. Come sit with me, I hate to admit it, but you have pleased me this morning."

The young man's eyes brighten and he does as ordered,, quickly sitting in the chair next to hers. "Eat, eat!, you silly boy. I have something to tell you."

She waits for him to begin eating before speaking.

"Over the last few months, I know I have been hard on you. But that is your fault and we will
not speak of your previous activities. I think I have made myself clear to you on this subject."

He stops eating enough to shudder and rub absently at his arm, leg, arm then other leg.

"Oh, eat already! Now, as I was saying, I have been hard on you. I wish to tell you I am proud of your progress. Today, for the first time, you will walk without the chain attached to your neck. Now listen very carefully. If, for any reason, you displease me, the chain goes back on.
Am I understood? And the disciplining will be very harsh, I promise you."

The "Gimp" nods and mouths the words thank you, as he bows his head to her. Any person looking closely would realize this young man has no tongue! He shivers at the thought about the disciplining he might receive from his mistress.

While he eats, she goes on.

"We see Atli this evening, you and I. As you know, he helped me out when I came back. It took me a while, but with your help and the others who help us as part of my operations, tonight I pay him back his bar of gold. Fez never knew how good he had, the bastard. Today
we shall take it easy, and this evening see Atli. Clean up after you're done here. I expect you
ready at 6 of the pm. Do not disappoint me."

Without further word, she rises and heads back to her room. Behind her, the young man actually can be seen smiling in contentment, pleased with himself at having pleased his mistress. No more chain! his thought.

By 6 pm, he is ready. Waiting before she is. He knows the consequences of making her wait.
Without a word he follows her out of the abode, which resides atop her business. Within a few minutes they are at Atli's shop. She waits whilst he opens the door for her, then she enters.