JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Whispers of the Dark Mother Chapter 1

Post by JMaytr »

Temple

Herman drops off the body.
VIEW CONTENT:
Unless anyone has any objections, the trio descend the hill . They reach the cross roads between the Laughing Dragon Inn and the farmers guildhouse.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The Barracks

The Sargent grunts and then directs Terrick to lead them to where he found the finger. As the group travels, the sun sets, and a chill wind begins blowing toward them. Ahead the merchant wagon comes into view. The smell of something mangy and soiled sails on the breeze.

A howl slices the night like a razor.

WILL SAVE
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:Temple

Herman drops off the body.
VIEW CONTENT:
Unless anyone has any objections, the trio descend the hill . They reach the cross roads between the Laughing Dragon Inn and the farmers guildhouse.

I have no objections.

If the others go along, Junia guides them to the place where she encountered the giant vermin.
Alert for danger.
She will attempt to use some food to lure the creatures into a trap/ambush.
Leaves a line of withdrawal open for the party.

Second roll on VERMIN trapper skill if needed:

[dice]0[/dice] +7

init if needed:
[dice]0[/dice]
+2 from DEX

sneak attack to hit if it is possible, slingstone --she will try to keep back a little and shoot early, avoiding melee unless she can flank.

[dice]1[/dice]

+2 from DEX
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VIEW CONTENT:
Sorry, the spoiler box function wouldn't in the post work above.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

VIEW CONTENT:
I will add those rolls to a queue for when rolls are next required. Since everyone seems okay to go, does the party want to go to the inn or the farmhouse?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JMaytr wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
I will add those rolls to a queue for when rolls are next required. Since everyone seems okay to go, does the party want to go to the inn or the farmhouse?
VIEW CONTENT:
Junia will go to the farmhouse and start hunting 'pedes, unless something she has seen there indicates that the infestation is so big that she really ought to have another man on the crew. She's not really keen on giving a gold piece to some stranger she found in a bar, not now that she's got Lyrana and Herman with her. One is a friend and the other has a reputation for getting dirty/unpleasant jobs done. But she does have pub-related plans for a little later. Check PM

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The Laughing Dragon Inn

Amara is drinking her second tankard when she feels a slight tug at her belt. Then she feels a full on palm on her rear.

"Thats a pretty big sword ya got there lass," says the owner of the offending palm, a red faced drunkard with a thick black mustache. "I've got steel I can show ye..."

The barkeep frowns in disgust.
Last edited by JMaytr on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Terrick, at the Merchants Wagon

As the howl cuts the night, a few of the guards appear shaken, but the commander, Uwen, appears to have nerves of steel.
"Men, begin searching," he commands. The other guards fan out, separating and wandering off through the surrounding trees and underbrush. One guard in particular, called 'Cat' kneels to the ground, examining the scat Terrick pointed out. He screws his face into a knot after smelling the sulfurous dung, and then pulls out two clear vials of liquid. He pours one onto the droppings and waits.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Junia, Herman, and Lyrana at the Farmers guildhouse

As the trio approaches, the sun shows maybe an hour left of light. The farmer who Junia interacted with before sits on the front porch in a mahogany rocking chair, the pig sleeping soundly across his lap. Seeing the group approach he leaps up, dumping his squealing, porcine pet to the ground.

"I was worried we'd have to close...er...wait till morning to get those vermin wiped out." He scans over Junia's new partners.

"I ain't paying any extra 'sides what I promised if you clear em out before dark." He looks past them at the setting sun. "Better get a move on."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Junia leads the group in and points out the spots the centipedes burrowed up from.

The 'pedes are no where in sight at the moment...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

JUNIA, FARMHOUSE

OOC
VIEW CONTENT:
Right, so she sees the spots (plural) where the burrowed up, in the cellar? Excellent.
I'll outline my plan here:

Junia searches the area. If she doesn't find any immediate danger or clear signs of centipedes nearby.

perception +7
[dice]0[/dice]

She won't stick her hands into places she can't see, or near any opening big enough for one of the large vermin monsters. Instead, she uses her ten-foot pole to flip over boards, poke through any heaps of dirt or trash etc.

If she gets suitable food, like live earthworms, she will grab it after making sure no big 'pedes are close to her.

She will also ask her friends if either of them has got any food on hand.

If she can get suitable bait, she sticks it on her fishhook and thread and ties that to one end of the pole.

Then she goes angling for 'pedes by dangling the bait into the FRESHEST LOOKING burrow. Will use boards to cover other burrows. Maybe the cage, too, if it can be moved that easily.

If we are indeed in the cellar, she will make sure to leave a clear line of retreat for the party, up the stairs.

She will also ask for help moving that cage if it isn't fixed to the floor. Could be something below it. She'll use her pole for a level so she doesn't have to stand too close.

Plan is to have her friend in flanking positions as she draws up a 'epde, if there is one down that burrow and it takes the bait.

She'll give a sack to one of them, just in case.

If surprise/initiative allows her to get in a sneak attack with the pole as an improvised weapon, she will. Draw a centipede up and then whack it.

If she finds 'pedes someplace besides the burrow, she will try to stand back and use her sling instead of getting in melee so long as she can do so without hitting her helpers.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

FARMHOUSE

Herman bangs his shovel against the ground next to the holes. "Come and get it!" he shouts to the missing vermin.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terrick

Terrick braces himself against the howl. He is still scared but at least he hasn't fled this time. Showing Cat pouring a liquid on the droppings he goes closer and asks:

"Sir, I'm a scout myself, can I be of any use? And what did this liquid it will help us locate the giant?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Terrick-

Cat stands, holding the empty vial before him.

"Just some oil that can tell me if the droppings come from a normal animal or something else."

Looking at the poo-pile, its surface froths with white bubbles.

"Definitely from something else." Cat says smirking.

A shout comes from beyond the tree line where some guards fanned out to search.

"Sargent Uwen! You must see this."

The guards rush over.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Farmhouse

As Herman bangs his shovel against the ground, 2 fat centipedes burst from the earthen basement floor. They are as big as hounds, their flailing antennae nearly doubling their length. They clack their mandibles together and prepare to attack.
VIEW CONTENT:
Initiative